Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fringes.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you ever generally dislike something, then see someone wearing it/having it and looking AMAZING, and instantly want one and then feel a bit dirty cause you generally dislike it?

I'm currently doing that with fringes. I'm having my hair cut on Thursday (under pain of death - my cousin is getting married and she's making me :impissed: ) and while looking around at styles, I saw a (admittedly really hot) girl with this awesome looking 60s style fringe and now I want one.

I'm not sure if I just want one cause i want to look like her, and think having the same haircut might magically make that happen (like the fit girls on the hairdye box thing) or because I really do and think it'll suit me.

So, general fringe discussion: Go!

Comments

• Options
    I hate them. Especially that swept to the side look. But I have a herman munster forehead so I thought I'd try it as some can pull it off. I knew from the begining I couldn't though.

I hate them even more than ever thought possible and have invested half of my life savings into headbands and hair clips :\
  • Options
    \
  • Options
  • Options
    i think it takes a particular face to pull off the straight 60s type fringe to be honest

you could try messing around with paint/photoshop, and stick a fringe on your forehead!!
  • Options
    I tried the photoshop thing, and I also tried pinning my hair up in such a way so that I create a fringe effect, and I think it will look ok, but I don't know if I can get past my general fringe ill-feeling.

It's like the other week when I tried on some skinny jeans unwittingly (they were on sale and I didn't look down before grabbing and taking into the changing rooms) and even though I thought they were actually surprisingly flattering, I couldn't buy them cause they were skinny jeans and I HATE skinny jeans. Does that sound mental?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I had a fringe cut into my hair about 12 months ago, and it made me look like a 6 year old. I have a round face and a big forehead - obviously not a good combination with a fringe. Proof is in the pudding lol.
  • Options
    I reckon I might just go for it. Even if I hate it, it's going to be way better growing it out when the rest of my hair is not too long.

Also I'm hoping it will hide some of my face skinniness, which is never attractive :no:
  • Options
    just do it!

i wish i could have a full fringe but unfortunately i got licked by a cow. :(

i think it'd suit you.
  • Options
    I had a fringe cut into my hair about 12 months ago, and it made me look like a 6 year old. I have a round face and a big forehead - obviously not a good combination with a fringe. Proof is in the pudding lol.
    i like the fringe, but whats happened to your mouth?
  • Options
    i like fringes on me tbh. I think they suit me, but theyre such a faff to maintain, especially with hair like mine thats half wavey, half straight, at random, depending on what it feels like.
  • Options
    i haven't had a proper fringe since i was about 4, i sort of had 1 when i was 11 but i hated it and grew it out again. Fringes don't look good with red hair. :no:
    i'd say go for it, if you don't like it you can try different ones.
  • Options
    i wish i could have a full fringe but unfortunately i got licked by a cow. :(

:lol:

My Polish grandma used to say that about my brother, but she didn't mean he had a cowlick (although he did), she meant because he used to gel his hair forwards and down, it looked just like a big tongued animal had given him the once over. How we laughed.
    i like fringes on me tbh. I think they suit me, but theyre such a faff to maintain, especially with hair like mine thats half wavey, half straight, at random, depending on what it feels like.

Aye, I was a little worried about the faff factor, but I don't reckon it'll be any worse than it is at the moment (I have cheekbone-length short layers at the front that either need to be straightened or pinned up mini-quiff stylee. My hair is naturally curly, but not good curly, so however I have it, it's a bit of a faff.
  • Options
    I think you should go for it, it can easily be outgrown if you don't like it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    well ive always hated fringes, mainly because every time ive had one its looked shit. but lately ive been seeing so many people who have fringes who actually look really really good and its making me want one!! but i know that i wont look anything like they do so i'll give it a miss!
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I think you should go for it, it can easily be outgrown if you don't like it.

:yes:

Go for it.
  • Options
    I've got a cowlick so I can't wear blunt thick ones even thought I think they suit me more so I just stick to a side one.
  • Options
    What's a cowlick?
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Mine grows out in about 2 to 3 months, so it's no time really if it looks shit.

Lucky you :( I"m still working on gettin mine grown, it had to of been a couple months ago I got it done. It made my face look all lopsided and lumpy :grump:
  • Options
    I've always had a fringe. I really look totally spazzy without one coz i have quite a round face. I had a blunt fringe for ages then an emo side sweeping in my eyes fringe now its longish and choppyish. photos of my hair in states of fringeyness (the one with thesiters is mental i know, the wine glass was the emo fringe and the aviators current) but anyhoo i disgress. fringes can look really grand, chat with the hairdresser and go for it. realistically you can always get a really big hat if it fucks up.
  • Options
    Question:

Since I"ve already short hair in the front, and a million clips just in case ;) I was thinking trying the look where the bangs just go straight across, like the one illora had in the pic she posted, but I also have that awful perma part dead center in the middle.

I've tried before and couldn't for the life of me make the part go away for the bangs, even now, the bangs are ment to be on the side part and they still part in the middle, any tips?
  • Options
    i blow dry mine straight after washing it using a combing to stop it parting (which is does when it get too long) or i clip it all to the side then let it dry.it falls down all unparted then i straighten it if need be
  • Options
    What's a cowlick?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowlick but mines at the fringe area at the front of my head.
  • Options
    cowlick_front.jpg
    It's like that so with a thick blunt fringe it wouldn't lie flat against my forehead it flicks over to one side (not very good at explaining sorry)
  • Options
    it's where you have like a kink in your hair.

my mum said i was probably licked by a very pretty cow. maybe a jersey. :grump:
  • Options
    it's where you have like a kink in your hair.

my mum said i was probably licked by a very pretty cow. maybe a jersey. :grump:
    Yeah that's it hehe.
  • Options
    I see.

Jerseys are very pretty cows though.
  • Options
    i'd rather have been licked by a guinea pig, tbh. :(
  • Options
    The cow only licked one side of me :( One side of my hair is fine but the other side always without fail goes into a wierd curlie cowlick type thing.

I love fringes but i couldn't have one again so i know how you feel Kaff. I cut my own hair when i was 4 and lopped off a ponytail resulting in mum giving me a bob and fringe as there wasn't much hair left. I hated it with a vengance so have sworn never to have a fringe or bob again. :yes: Plus i have fuzzy hair and fringes don't work with fuzz.

I love some of the funky fringes around at the mo but don't think i could a) maintain it or b) look attractive enough for it.