Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How do accents work

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Franki wrote:
    Yeh. Except it would be perro, because pero means but and perro means dog, and you can't really have two things with different meanings spelt the same can you ;p.
    Just to add, you can, they are called homographs.
    EG: Bow as in what you put in your hair, and bow as in what you shoot an arrow with. These sound the same as well, so are also homophones. Bow as in 'bow down on one knee' and bow as in the front end of a boat are spelt the same as the first two but pronounced differently, so are just homographs.
    I have an ace west country accent. Maybe it's my drama side (as I've learnt a few accents through longterm plays) but I catch on and change accents really easily. At home my west country accents really strong, and I change words as well, at uni I live with people from Essex, Kent and Plymouth and always end up slipping into something similar to theirs when I'm talking to them.
    That's because you're confusing orthography with a phonological representation :p Using the IPA and phonetic transcription you would get two different looking words.

ETA: this is my attempt in paint and from memory. The first one is with a normal /r/, the second with a trilled /r/

Even though the thread has died, my point was that in Spanish there are two different types of /r/ sound which change the meaning, but that this doesn't exist in English with /r/.
    Aw, I :heart: all this linguistic talk.

I picked up a bit of an accent when I lived down south, even though I was only there a couple of months. I've still not lost the Estuary English (I think?) 'L' sound :(
    Really? Lol, I thought you (and indeed most people) would have been bored by it! :) What /l/ sounds are you talking about? Is it like missing out the /l/ sound for 'people' so it sounds like 'pipo'?
    Really? Lol, I thought you (and indeed most people) would have been bored by it! :) What /l/ sounds are you talking about? Is it like missing out the /l/ sound for 'people' so it sounds like 'pipo'?

Naaaah. I loved doing language at college, I did language and linguistics at uni before I dropped out and I'm doing English when I start again this year, but it's a bit more lit heavy. My college language teacher knew (or at least, seemed to know) everything there was to know, his enthusiasm must've been infectious and rubbed off on me.

Aye, that's the sound I'm on about. I kinda lost my northern /u/ as well, but I think I've got that back :D