Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why do you support the team you do?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lol

Edited to add : So what was your answer? :p

I gave him the whole "last Scottish team to win a Euro trophy" speech, soon shut the tattie munching bastard up :thumb:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Especially when it's Scottish people who support an English team (Liverpool seems to crop up quite a bit), and then act like they're proper fans when the trophies start rolling in e.g "We won the cup!" etc.

On one of the forums I post on, it seems that with the exception of me, anyone who is a Man City fan supports Celtic and vice versa.

And if they're proper fans, they'd support them no matter what happens to their team.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    I gave him the whole "last Scottish team to win a Euro trophy" speech, soon shut the tattie munching bastard up :thumb:

I get a similar speech from my Celtic friend who continuily reminds me that they were the 1st British team to win the European cup or something like that. My response to him and you are the same.

"It was before you were born. Give it up and support a real team" :p
  • Options
    "It was before you were born. Give it up and support a real team" :p

The last time a Scottish team won a European trophy was on the 22nd of November 1983, when Aberdeen beat then European champions Hamburg 2-0 on aggregate to win the Super Cup.

Which was 27 days after I was born.

Get it right up ye :thumb:
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Which was 27 days after I was born.

Get it right up ye :thumb:

I apologise. I forgot you were there :p
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    On one of the forums I post on, it seems that with the exception of me, anyone who is a Man City fan supports Celtic and vice versa.

And if they're proper fans, they'd support them no matter what happens to their team.

I know loadsa Celtic 'fans' who enthusiastically support Liverpool as well. It was interesting seeing where they loyalties lay when the two met a couple of years ago.

I quite like Hearts, from recently living in Edinburgh and going to matches but I'd hate to call myself a 'fan', as that would be an offence to the proper fans who've supported all their lives and know the club inside out. But if I have a team who I support in the SPL it's definitely them.

I think everyone has a soft spot or liking for certain teams in different leagues, but it doesn't always come down to calling yourself a fan.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    I think everyone has a soft spot or liking for certain teams in different leagues, but it doesn't always come down to calling yourself a fan.

For me this is very true. on a saturday (or any other day they play) I will sometimes look to see how the local(ish) teams are doing. I also sometimes look to see how my friends' teams are doing - mainly to wind them up when their teams lose though...:p
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    :p It's much better than red, tbh...

There is nothing more beautiful than a red sky at night... :p
  • Options
    I'm not sure why I support Newcastle United I don't live in Newcastle but I'm not too far away but that isn't my reason for supporting them.
  • Options
    watford, was born on vicarage road (not in the ground) and never lived further than walking distance.

I have a liking for Liverpool, but as Addict said it would be an offense to call myself a fan, seeing as watching them on TV and wanting them to win is the extent of my support.

When watford have met Liverpool recently, i of course, want watford to win, as they did in August 2000 at anfield.

Im moving up north soon, but i still intend to get to a few games, although i have given up my season ticket
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    how come people have 2 teams??

In Northern Ireland you'll find a lot of people will support either Celtic or Rangers, an English club and then their local club that plays in the Northern Irish league, so that's 3 teams.

I support Liverpool cos my dad supports them and so does my oldest brother. My other brother supports Leeds and my sis Newcastle, fuck knows why.
  • Options
    My cousin supports Leeds because his friends dad knew the keeper back in the day, and got him to sign some gloves for him. Can't remember who it was now.

I love it when you meet someone who's obviously a glory supporter, but they try and come up with some bullshit reason as to why they support who they do. My Welsh friends are particularly notorious for this. If they're over about 23, they'll support Liverpool "because Ian Rush played for them" and if they're under that age, they'll support Man utd "because Ryan Giggs plays for them." Strange that I didn't see many Newcastle fans when Bellamy played for them. :chin:
  • Options
    I love it when you meet someone who's obviously a glory supporter, but they try and come up with some bullshit reason as to why they support who they do. My Welsh friends are particularly notorious for this. If they're over about 23, they'll support Liverpool "because Ian Rush played for them" and if they're under that age, they'll support Man utd "because Ryan Giggs plays for them." Strange that I didn't see many Newcastle fans when Bellamy played for them. :chin:

:lol: very true!

I think I initially started "supporting" Sunderland to infuriate my eldest brother when I was about five (he is black and white without a doubt) and I just fell head over heels for them. I can't imagine supporting anyone else and to be honest it sometimes worries me how much I actually CARE; but then a lot of my best childhood memories are my Dad taking me to Roker Park for games so I suppose that's a big part of it. Although the payback for that is being obligated to support his team, Dundee United. But that's just for show, it's definitely Sunderland 'til I die.
  • Options
    I support Reading because I was born there and lived there until I moved away for Uni!
  • Options
    I dont know much about football but I'm usually rooting for Arsenal because I was born in London and my brother supported them.

Now he supports Gillingham cuz that's where we live!

My dad used to support Ipswitch because that's where he used to live.

But yeah..Arsenal all the way man. I used to have an Ian Wright tshirt. Awh
  • Options
    Don't really know why but my family have just always supported Arsenal, thats where i get it from :D
  • Options
    I'm a Bantam cuz I'm from Bratfud.
  • Options

I don't think there's anything wrong with supporting a club because you liked some of their players. When you're growing up, you have heroes who are often footballers. You know the people you had posters of in your room, and who you used to get printed on your shirt. I grew up idolising Dennis Irwin and in particular Roy Keane. United do alot of scouting here, and play in the big youth tournaments. David Healy and Keith Gillespie both started out for and played for United. Past legends such as Norman Whiteside amongst others also played there, and not forgetting George Best who's a national icon here. The northern clubs in general are quite popular here because that's where most of the best Irish players are scouted to, and end up playing for.