Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So, honestly...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    wow briggi, that's the most 'real' post i think ive read. i do put women on pedestals and "You see these men being successful and pulling and immediately think that their brave heart has won fair maiden" is so true it hurts.

thats how i feel and i know its not right. people suck, get what they want and then its a cycle of being upset and jealousy etc etc. i dont think i'm looking in the wrong, i'm just too shy to ask. thats it.

still, thanks for your post. its kept me in good spirits
  • Options
    No worries, mate. Glad if I can help in any way because I hate to think you're missing out on the crazy world of friendship with the opposite sex, flirting, dating - with all its peaks and troughs - because you think you've somehow been excluded from it. You haven't, and you should look at tomorrow as your first day back in it.

You definitely put women on pedestals and should try your best to recognise when you're doing it and try and look as objectively at the woman in question when you do. There's no way she's a more deserving human being than you, you just need to recognise in yourself that you're deserving of happiness and the thrill of human contact. While it's no bad thing to appreciate and adore women/a woman (as we are, on the whole, pretty fantastic ;) ) you need to realise that we are mere mortals, too, and we respond to interest in ourselves and common pursuits, warmth of heart and a reet friendly smile as much as you yourself would respond positively to that kind of behaviour and those traits in another person.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? Also, where do you meet most of the women you do (or have) come into contact with?
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    No worries, mate. Glad if I can help in any way because I hate to think you're missing out on the crazy world of friendship with the opposite sex, flirting, dating - with all its peaks and troughs - because you think you've somehow been excluded from it. You haven't, and you should look at tomorrow as your first day back in it.

You definitely put women on pedestals and should try your best to recognise when you're doing it and try and look as objectively at the woman in question when you do. There's no way she's a more deserving human being than you, you just need to recognise in yourself that you're deserving of happiness and the thrill of human contact. While it's no bad thing to appreciate and adore women/a woman (as we are, on the whole, pretty fantastic ;) ) you need to realise that we are mere mortals, too, and we respond to interest in ourselves and common pursuits, warmth of heart and a reet friendly smile as much as you yourself would respond positively to that kind of behaviour and those traits in another person.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? Also, where do you meet most of the women you do (or have) come into contact with?

its darned embarassing but i'm 23. yeh, seriously. i dont meet much women now. i used to at uni, where everything started going pear-shaped really. now its just at work. i guess i cant say anything else of note.

thanks for your interest tho :thumb:
  • Options
    hazell wrote:
    its darned embarassing but i'm 23.

Trumped! I'm 29 and my incompetence with human relationships is legendary. You are but a young stripling by comparison!
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Sorry. What I meant was:
    It's not the arseholes that get girls; it's the confident ones.

But is it really fair to pretend to be confident when your not? Kinda feels like lieing or something.
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:
    But is it really fair to pretend to be confident when your not? Kinda feels like lieing or something.
    Uhh... Yeah?

I've never met a person who openly goes up to strangers and says "look at me, I'm shy and vulnerable!", people just don't do that. We all hide our vulnerabilities, our weaknesses; it's just what people do and there's no dishonesty in the question. Dishonesty is when somebody asks you something and you bullshit, not when you pretend to be confident.
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:

I've done it before.
  • Options
    surely pretending to be confident means you are confident. what if youre not?
  • Options
    That's where the pretending comes in.
  • Options
    ok. ummm.........what if you cant pretend?
  • Options
    There isn't really any other way to say this. Confidence isn't real, most people are faking it, and when you get to know them better you realise this. My friends are surprised when they get to the point where they find out that actually I don't like meeting new people all at once, and I feel an over-whelming desire to compare myself to them.

When one of my best friends first rocked up at uni I thought she was far too good for me. This is not true, we also have the same not really liking meeting lots of new people. We both fake confidence when we have to.

I suggest you start faking it, because there aren't any other options it doesn't come from anywhere else.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    We both fake confidence when we have to.

thats what i can't do
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I suggest you start faking it, because there aren't any other options it doesn't come from anywhere else.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shit.
  • Options
    I suspect you probably can, you just haven't tried yet. But, yeah, if you want to be defeatist about it, knock yourself out.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I suspect you probably can, you just haven't tried yet. But, yeah, if you want to be defeatist about it, knock yourself out.

oh great, part of me thinks youre so right and the other part thinks youre not. i think i need a hug.
  • Options
    *hug* chin up mate, if I were there I'd actually give you one.

Trust me, I'm right, I've seen it in real life, I've had to do it in real life.
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:
    No. It's overcoming your lack of confidence. See, when you hide your shyness & actually approach someone, if took CONFIDENCE to do that despite your fears, so it's not really lying. Sure there might be a little voice in the back of your mind saying "what if you screw up?", but even the most confident people have feelings of doubt - they just ignore them!

I used to be really shy & quiet & introverted (I still am really - I like to spend lots of time alone, but no point going out with friends if you're not gonna join in with conversation). But at some point during my teens I realised sitting quietly & passively gets you nowhere in life. I'd go up to people & talk to them, I joined in with stuff, I'd get up in front of a roomful of people & arse about, if a song I liked got played in a club I would dance even if the dancefloor was empty. At first I had to force myself to do these things, but over time it became second nature & I just do stuff & damn the consequences.

It's gotten me places shyness would have barred me from - I'm made new friends, travelled both within this country & to other countries on my own, DJed, made speeches, had fun, blagged a last minute place on a college course rather than remaining in a soul-destroying work placement, & just generally lived life.

When I tell people I used to be really shy most of them laugh & refuse to believe me cos I'm a real in your face extrovert with no shame who can talk the hind leg off a donkey (as my gran would say) when I get going. :thumb:
  • Options
    Uh oh. I'm starting to get hope. This aint good. :nervous:
  • Options
    My life. I'm SO bored of seeing your shit. Go and do something for a change.
  • Options
    Who me?
  • Options
    Who the hell do you think?

You have been told everything you will ever need to know TWICE in this thread. Stop whinging, start acting
  • Options
    Primal scream - country girl

Oh sorry, from the number of replies I thought this was the 'what are you listening to' thread...
  • Options
    Oh great. So this is the portion of the thread where everybody and their dog posts their sarcastic reply?

You don't have to click on these threads you know.

And I'm soooo sorry that my problems aren't entertaining enough for you. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You could get a little more entertaining you know.
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:
    Oh great. So this is the portion of the thread where everybody and their dog posts their sarcastic reply?

You don't have to click on these threads you know.

And I'm soooo sorry that my problems aren't entertaining enough for you. :rolleyes:

Well you seem to take yourself seriously enough for the both of us. Thought I'd try and get a smile out of you.

But sadly it seems I'm about as funny as a Holocaust denier. There goes my career in stand up comedy. Perhaps I'll try my hand as a childrens party magaician...
  • Options
    People definitely fake confidence. If you don't, you never improve at anything. I have a friend who normally appears uber-confident. She's really good-looking, intelligent, outgoing, funny, etc. Last night, someone said something to her when she was feeling self conscious, and she spent 20 minutes crying in the toilets, and I had to walk her home (see, I am nice. Well actually, I'd just thrown up after giving myself food poisoning so I was going home anyway, but that's not the point). Everyone has fears and insecurities, it's just that some people are better at dealing with them than others.
  • Options
    i think your problems are hilarious lifeless. im feeling so shit right now and the posts on these boards are hilarious, particularly fiend_85.
  • Options
    Research does show that youngest siblings are funnier.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Research does show that youngest siblings are funnier.

I take it you're the oldest then.
  • Options
    Well look at that, almost a joke.
  • Options
    Yeah. I'm a regular Chris Tucker.