Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are young people allowed to do ANYTHING anymore?!

24

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sophia wrote:
    I refuse to go in shops that have that sign up, I find it so offensive (even though I'm 24 so it isn't targetting me).

    I wouldn't go into a shop that restricted the number of jews, or black people, or gays people who could go in there, so I don't think I should support a business that excludes young people.
    Hurrah!

    And, to whoever said it, it's probably because the media tells them to... As someone said earlier, most people who are scared of being targeted by "young criminals" haven't been, and don't know anyone who has.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    piccolo wrote:
    Hurrah!

    And, to whoever said it, it's probably because the media tells them to... As someone said earlier, most people who are scared of being targeted by "young criminals" haven't been, and don't know anyone who has.
    :yes: me and my friends have been asked to leave a shop before when we were only looking at gel pens (in partners). A shop assistant followed us round then told us to leave. I was really offended. We didn't even look like troublemakers.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    The whinging old biddies who complained should have their windows put through.

    Once again, the award for disproportionately violent response goes to... Kermit!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    One of the first memories I have about moving to this country ... etc

    Oh, I always thought you were a local lad, Aladdin. Where are you from? :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't care about their fears because they are almost always irrational fears, and I don't think that laws should be based on irrational fears. I don't know anyone who's been attacked by a gang of youths hanging outside a shop in broad daylight or playing hopscotch, and so it's completely pathetic to stop people doing so just to appear as if you're doing something to stop crime. Do these same people get scared every time they step onto the road, because statistically, they're way more likely to be mown down by a car?

    Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    Are you one of these kids that does it are you? and thats why you are offended about what i say?
    YOU don't care but many people do. It does happen where i live.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    Oh, I always thought you were a local lad, Aladdin. Where are you from? :)

    Spain
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sophia wrote:
    I refuse to go in shops that have that sign up, I find it so offensive (even though I'm 24 so it isn't targetting me).

    I wouldn't go into a shop that restricted the number of jews, or black people, or gays people who could go in there, so I don't think I should support a business that excludes young people.

    Do you really, honestly? If you do then surely you're passing judgement with little or no knowledge of the circumstances that have lead shops to put up the sign.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote:
    Once again, the award for disproportionately violent response goes to... Kermit!

    He does appear to have a rather violent disposition.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what are the kids going to do, learn how to get away from a bank robbery faster if they have to hop, because one of their legs has been blown off?

    all because of their mass hours of hopscotch training out the front of the house?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tweety wrote:
    Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    Are you one of these kids that does it are you? and thats why you are offended about what i say?
    YOU don't care but many people do. It does happen where i live.
    I'm not offended by what you say at all. What you say doesn't affect me. What you get other people to do on your behalf, does infringe upon the liberties of others though, and so that offends me.

    I have heard of it happening, just like I've heard of paedophiles snatching kids from playgrounds. Are we going to ban anyone over 18 from going near a playground without a child? Have your irrational fears of anyone young, or wearing certain items of clothing (or anything else visual from which you can assume their entire personality and behaviour) if you must, just don't inflict it upon the rest of us.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That's just so stupid.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you really, honestly? If you do then surely you're passing judgement with little or no knowledge of the circumstances that have lead shops to put up the sign.

    That's a point. I know a shop near my old primary school states there can only be 3 at a time, but that's because one time it was overcrowded every night and a couple of lads nicked a couple of tubs of sweets from the pick and mix.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Actually a child is someone under 15. You are a young adult.

    Oh well that ruins my fun :razz: Tssh. I'll make my sister do it when she gets home.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    :yes: me and my friends have been asked to leave a shop before when we were only looking at gel pens (in partners). A shop assistant followed us round then told us to leave. I was really offended. We didn't even look like troublemakers.

    So now it's even wrong to go into a shop and look at stuff in partners?:rolleyes: Whatever next?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not offended by what you say at all. What you say doesn't affect me. What you get other people to do on your behalf, does infringe upon the liberties of others though, and so that offends me.

    I have heard of it happening, just like I've heard of paedophiles snatching kids from playgrounds. Are we going to ban anyone over 18 from going near a playground without a child? Have your irrational fears of anyone young, or wearing certain items of clothing (or anything else visual from which you can assume their entire personality and behaviour) if you must, just don't inflict it upon the rest of us.

    How am i inflicting it on the rest of you?
    I have my opinion you have yours. Whats the difference?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Children are being treated like criminals more and more and it isn't right. In my local shopping centre they won't allow groups of kids to hang around for no particular reason. They also don't have any chance of argueing back without being labled a troublemaker or a yob. I fear the situation for children is going to get worse as the population gets older.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tweety wrote:
    How am i inflicting it on the rest of you?
    I have my opinion you have yours. Whats the difference?
    Your opinion is being inflicted upon young people through legislation that allows people to stop them doing things that the rest of society are allowed to do, such as wearing certain things in puclic shopping centres, or not being allowed to go into certain places in groups of more than one. Legislation such as no hoodies in public shopping centres is just one example of this opinion being inflicted upon the rest of society. If any other person in society was discriminated against in this way, because of the 'group' that they apparently belong to, there would be outrage.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    and would yet whinge about kids being too fat and not getting enough excercise

    so what do they want us to do? We can't sit on our arses because we'll get fat, but if we go out and play games, we're being 'anti-social'.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A few comments spring to mind looking at this.

    Regarding not letting kids in shops etc, this is nothing new - any private business has the right to refuse entry to someone. There isn't 'legislation' as such here, it's more a case of property rights.

    Also, police officers always have had the right to ask somebody to move on - this is nothing new either.

    There's also quite a few things that 'young people' (meaning people under a certain age) have never been allowed to do - eg drink, vote, drive. I don't think anybody reasonably objects to this.

    I have concerns about ASBOs and how they are implemented, as I presume others do from their comments even though they haven't mentioned them explicitly. I also don't like the idea of PCSOs, civilians, running around telling people what to do.

    Frankly, on crime, we'd be better off if we actually had proper neighbourhood police constables, who actually took the time to get to know their area, patrolling alone on foot, who took a genuine zero tolerance approach to low-level crime.


    As for children, I honestly don't think it's the law that's to blame. I think the problems are overprotective parents and a lack of playing fields.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    LeedsLad wrote:
    A few comments spring to mind looking at this.

    Regarding not letting kids in shops etc, this is nothing new - any private business has the right to refuse entry to someone. There isn't 'legislation' as such here, it's more a case of property rights.

    What about our rights? Aren't we basically be branded criminals?
    Also, police officers always have had the right to ask somebody to move on - this is nothing new either.

    Even if they're doing nothing wrong?
    As for children, I honestly don't think it's the law that's to blame. I think the problems are a lack of playing fields.

    Totally agreed. Whre I live, there's hardly anywhere to go and nothing to do, apart from maybe walk around town.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your opinion is being inflicted upon young people through legislation that allows people to stop them doing things that the rest of society are allowed to do, such as wearing certain things in puclic shopping centres, or not being allowed to go into certain places in groups of more than one. Legislation such as no hoodies in public shopping centres is just one example of this opinion being inflicted upon the rest of society. If any other person in society was discriminated against in this way, because of the 'group' that they apparently belong to, there would be outrage.

    My opinion isn't stopping anyone doing anything as what i think makes no difference to how anyone lives.
    As for the rest of the crap, i didn't even say anything about all that so stop the bull.
    Just because i don't think there should be crouds around shops doesn't mean i agree with all the other crap.
    Stop trying to make my opinion into something it isn't, i have an opinion just like you do, but it's ok for you to have one and not me huh?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tweety wrote:
    How am i inflicting it on the rest of you?
    I have my opinion you have yours. Whats the difference?

    I don't think you are inflicting it. I'm With Stupid is probably reading what you said, wrong.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tweety wrote:
    My opinion isn't stopping anyone doing anything as what i think makes no difference to how anyone lives.
    As for the rest of the crap, i didn't even say anything about all that so stop the bull.
    Just because i don't think there should be crouds around shops doesn't mean i agree with all the other crap.
    Stop trying to make my opinion into something it isn't, i have an opinion just like you do, but it's ok for you to have one and not me huh?:rolleyes:
    Your opinion in itself isn't harming anyone or removing anyone's freedoms. You are entitled to disagree with young people hanging around near shop entrances. You are entitled to think whatever you want about them, and I don't have a problem with that. However, when law is made based on, or pandering to these opinions, then they are being inflicted upon people in the form of legislation, or simply discriminatory policing. That's what I'm getting at.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He does appear to have a rather violent disposition.

    Not overly, I'm quioye restrained.

    But if the stupid old dears are going to go whingeing to the police anyway, you might as well get your money's worth and actually give them something to whinge about.

    If there was any justice in this world the old biddies who complained would be done for wasting police time.

    LeedsLad, shops don't have the right to bar people entry. If a shop barred, say, Asian people from the shop they would be rightly prosecuted.

    The reason why young people are treated so badly is because we have no power. Many of us don't have the vote, and those of us who do either don't use it or are stuck in constituencies where the vote is worthless anyway. The people the politicians seek to win over are the older middle-class people, for the simple reason that it is middle-aged and older middle-class people who decide elections.

    If kids are being a nuisance they should be moved on- if they are harrassing people they should be given a clip around the ear by the bobby. But a group of kids is not inherently a threatening situation, and the rights and liberties of young people should not be restricted because of attitude problems of older people. Most people, however old, would be mortified to be brought home in a police car- I honestly don't think things have changed since 50 years ago, really.

    Much of what young people supposedly do is blown out of all proportion by the media. The media reports on a child getting stabbed in the classroom- what the media doesn't report is that the stabbed child was an odious bully who got what was coming to them. Because of media reporting targeted against young people, older people are now terrified of all young people.

    The entire establishment is weighted against young people because economically and politically young people do not matter. We don't vote and we don't buy newspapers- so what incentive do the media and government have in listening to us?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    Not overly, I'm quioye restrained.

    I've just remembere something that happened a few years ago ago.
    Whilst riding shotgun in my mates car, waiting for some time to park a bunch of old cunts nipped in and stole it the spot we were waiting for. Of course we got out and gave them a few select words, the four of them gave us some serious grief about respecting our elders and going on about our parents parenting skills, so I told them to expect to find their car keyed when they came back.

    They got back in the car and left. :lol:

    I think my mate did recieve a call from the police about it a few days later but nothing came of it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A few weeks back I was at home with my girlfriend watching a DVD.
    It was around 11pm.
    At some point I heard shouting and other noises. I had a look outside my bedroom window and saw a group of about 20 youngsters, they looked around 15 or something like that, were climbing over a park fence and jumping in. The park gets locked in the evening. Anyway, some of them were drinking, the others were smoking, there were boys and girls, and then 3 girls started to fight and shout really loudly. The guys joined in to pull them apart but got into an argument and started to fight amongst each other. There was a lot of screaming, shouting and general mayhem. So I called the police and told them what was going on. They said they would send a car to send them on their way, 10 minutes later the crowd disappeared towards the middle of the park somehwere and after another half an hour we couldn't hear them.
    Police never came.
    In their wake the youngsters left 2 park boards smashed, a few broken bottles and they've bent the bars where they climbed over.

    It's these kids that give a bad example and a bad reputation to young people. And it's their parents to blame. I know countries where parents were sent to jail because their underaged kids commited a crime. Maybe that should start happening here.

    Not all young people are annoying, loud, potentially deviant, but a lot of them are.

    This chalk thing is just laughable though.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    (From article)

    They said the feedback from residents has been good and in dealing with what the force called "low-level crime", they could prevent more serious problems developing.
    WTF?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Spain

    Cool! I love Spain ...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    migpilot wrote:
    I know countries where parents were sent to jail because their underaged kids commited a crime. Maybe that should start happening here.

    Like where exactly?

    Not only would this not work as a deterant (people either dont care if they go to prison or dont think they will get caught) or help, the kids will then get taken into care and most likely end up in Feltam or similar fucked for life.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Not overly, I'm quioye restrained.

    If smashing old dears' windows is restrained, I’d hate to see you really let loose! :D
    LeedsLad, shops don't have the right to bar people entry. If a shop barred, say, Asian people from the shop they would be rightly prosecuted.

    Though the analogy isn't exact, it's a fair-ish point. I think it's a dangerous opinion to treat in such a black and white manner though. Do you think at some point though, that if one in every 2 - 5 kids from the local school (say) is stealing from your shop that you just have to deal with it? Perhaps at best banning individuals but knowing that's really just the tip of the iceberg?
    The reason why young people are treated so badly is because we have no power. Many of us don't have the vote, and those of us who do either don't use it or are stuck in constituencies where the vote is worthless anyway. The people the politicians seek to win over are the older middle-class people, for the simple reason that it is middle-aged and older middle-class people who decide elections.

    I don't think these are problems synonymous with being young though. I think political frustration is something felt across the board, by young and old, rich and poor alike. Also, the middle classes make up a large proportion of the UK and i think it's an easy cop out to wave the finger of blame at a faceless class, mildly offensive even.
    If kids are being a nuisance they should be moved on- if they are harrassing people they should be given a clip around the ear by the bobby. But a group of kids is not inherently a threatening situation, and the rights and liberties of young people should not be restricted because of attitude problems of older people. Most people, however old, would be mortified to be brought home in a police car- I honestly don't think things have changed since 50 years ago, really.

    Agree.
    Much of what young people supposedly do is blown out of all proportion by the media. The media reports on a child getting stabbed in the classroom- what the media doesn't report is that the stabbed child was an odious bully who got what was coming to them. Because of media reporting targeted against young people, older people are now terrified of all young people.

    Your liberal attitude appears to appear and disappear. If you believe that a reasonable retaliation to the school bully is to stab them, then frankly, that's worrying.
    The entire establishment is weighted against young people because economically and politically young people do not matter. We don't vote and we don't buy newspapers- so what incentive do the media and government have in listening to us?[/

    Yeah, 'the man' is oppressing us, heavy.
Sign In or Register to comment.