Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Want to escape, ideas please!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I want to go away for 2 weeks in September/October. (I can only get 2 weeks at a time off work).

I have no idea where to go. I'll probably go alone as most of my friends have kids/are students/aren't interested.

I want to go outside Europe, but not the USA (already been there) and not Australia (too far).

I have no money anyway (will be using overdraft), don't mind spending a few hundred on flights as long as it's cheap when I get there.

I'm 24 and don't really want to be surrounded by crowds of shrieking 18 year old gap year students. I don't mind travelling alone but it would be good if there were chances to meet up with others in the same situation.

Anyone got any ideas? I was thinking of Thailand but maybe it will be really crowded and full of 18 year old Brits.

Things I like: animals..adventurous sports...peace..a bit of nightlife but not too mental...exotic food...different cultures...white sands, proper perfect beaches (never seen one).

Help!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I couldn't really advise on destinations because I like everywhere I go. And I rarely go out of the EU anyway.

But, if your funds are limited, icelolly.co.uk sometimes are good deals, wherever you decide to go :)
    what about Canada?? its a quality country, i loved it so much, and you an fly there pretty cheap on zoom.

www.flyzoom.com
    Turkey - Alanya
    Marocco
    Hong Kong
    Singapore
    Japan
    Vietnam
    South India (awesome)
    I know you say no to Australia, but have you been to North Australia?
    Fiji
    Hawaii
    Thailand
    Malaysia
    Seychelles
    Madagascar
    migpilot wrote:
    Madagascar

Yeah, because that will be nice and cheap!

My vote goes for Cape Town if you can get a cheap flight, its a fantastic city.

If not Barcelona is also great.
    I have been to Turkey, loved it but want to go somewhere new.

I think Australia is too far for just 2 weeks, I get bad jet lag so it wouldn't be worth going that far.

I'm going to Morocco next year with family (fingers crossed) cos my Auntie is from there.

Some of those places like Japan and Singapore I would love to go to but I think they are out of my budget.

Vietnam sounds good, anyone been there?

bong, I've been to barcelona lots of times, got family there.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yeah, because that will be nice and cheap!

My vote goes for Cape Town if you can get a cheap flight, its a fantastic city.

If not Barcelona is also great.

No one said it was cheap... And not everyone has to stay in the Hilton... ;)
    You can get a ticket for £600 in september, maybe cheaper if it's a last minute deal....
    Depends how big your overdraft is hehe...
    Madagascar is beautiful and when I went it cost me £3k....ah well

There are lots of offers for Maldives...
    If you went in late Oct, then you could do a lot worse than going to Durban, then going up the coast a bit, the Indian Ocean is the best of the lot.
    migpilot wrote:
    No one said it was cheap... And not everyone has to stay in the Hilton... ;)
    You can get a ticket for £600 in september, maybe cheaper if it's a last minute deal....
    Depends how big your overdraft is hehe...
    Madagascar is beautiful and when I went it cost me £3k....ah well

There are lots of offers for Maldives...

The Maldives look gorgeous, however I think they are more of a couples destination. I have also heard calls to boycott going there, can't remember exactly why, something to do with the treatment and pay of people working there.

£600 is over my budget. I'm thinking more £300-£400 max. My overdraft is £500 although now I can get a graduate account I think it may be more (and interest free, hurray!)
    PussyKatty wrote:
    The Maldives look gorgeous, however I think they are more of a couples destination. I have also heard calls to boycott going there, can't remember exactly why, something to do with the treatment and pay of people working there.

£600 is over my budget. I'm thinking more £300-£400 max. My overdraft is £500 although now I can get a graduate account I think it may be more (and interest free, hurray!)

Then either South India beaches or Cuban beaches....both affordable for you....
    They have wicked beach parties in South India....
    But you can probably get a good all inclusive deal for Cuba....
    PussyKatty wrote:

I think that is streaching it to get a flight that far out of europe in September - if you dont' want to go to Thailand then i'd reccomend Malaysia which i liked much more. Or you could follow in Briggi's footsteps and go to Russia.

Morrocco is lovely and you can get cheap flights there on Easy Jet.

Turkey is also lovely - just becuase you've been once dont' knock it there are so many places to go.

South Africa is also excellent and not too expensive once you've got there - but flights are silly money at that time of year.

India is the same - though again i'm not sure you'll be able to get flights that are that cheap think about £450ish and it will be really hot - though if you go to the south it will be better.
    Dubai?
    i saw a holiday catalogue brochure thing the other day, had various dates for two weeks in cuba, full inclusive for £599 a person based on two people sharing
    MrG wrote:
    i saw a holiday catalogue brochure thing the other day, had various dates for two weeks in cuba, full inclusive for £599 a person based on two people sharing

she's planning on going on her own by the look of things, therefore would pay a lot more for single supplement.

cuba looks good tho.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    koe_182 wrote:
    she's planning on going on her own by the look of things, therefore would pay a lot more for single supplement.

cuba looks good tho.
    take me then yeah?
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    take me then yeah?

will you pay me back when the big wages start rolling in?
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    koe_182 wrote:
    will you pay me back when the big wages start rolling in?
    promise!!! bags are packed, meet you in heathrow!!
    woooo off to cuba!
    You won't see the real cuba though if you stay in an all inclusive resort - your pretty much locked in once you get there and heavily disuaded from leaving - less you meet a local.

however i've heard its amazing and really cheap outside the resorts 3 people from my office have been in the last year and said it was great - but you really have to be able to speak spanish and be a bit adventouos.

Also bear in mind there is a reason why the carribean is cheap at this time of year (its hurricane season).