Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting my boyfriend help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just started seeing a guy (it's only been three weeks so far) but it's come to my attention that he has a bit of a problem with cocaine. He can easily get hold of and afford it, and he tends to find it VERY hard not to have some everytime we go out. Problem is we go out a lot, and one line soon turns into 2/3 grams of the stuff, leaving him having harsh comedowns a couple of days later, and staying in bed for a day or more at a time, shutting off the world.

He says he knows he has a problem and wants to stop, but I really don't know what I can do to help him. Any advice? I can't see me and him really going anywhere in the long term with him having mood swings and being an addict...

Comments

• Options
    Well I would say have him start of by taking less over a period of time. If he's going to do it then at least show him that it's something to be experienced, not abused.
  • Options
    :( i think you need to think carefully before getting too serious with a drug addict chaos. Recreational is one thing, but this sounds like it might bring more heartache than its worth.
  • Options
    :( i think you need to think carefully before getting too serious with a drug addict chaos. Recreational is one thing, but this sounds like it might bring more heartache than its worth.
    tbh chaos i agree with SCC.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

He says he knows he has a problem and wants to stop, but I really don't know what I can do to help him. Any advice? I can't see me and him really going anywhere in the long term with him having mood swings and being an addict...

Hi there,
    I'm going to move this into drugs as you might get more replies there. Can always move it back later if it doesn't work out.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Hi there,
    I'm going to move this into drugs as you might get more replies there. Can always move it back later if it doesn't work out.

Wasn't quite sure what forum to put this in tbh.

Problem I'm having at the mo, is he's been off drugs since Saturday (yeah I know, not a long time) and he's really proud of himself, but I'm 90% sure by this weekend he'll be taking the coke again.

As for getting involved with an addict, I already am involved, my feelings grow for people very quickly and while I didn't THINK I was that attached to the guy, we spent about two and a half days apart the other day, and I really missed him! We haven't really spent more than a day or so apart since we've met though....really stuck on this one, know I'm rambling but dunno what to do...
  • Options
    I think you need to set really firm boundaries and make sure you stick to them, otherwise you'll be making excuses for him and you'll just end up in a totally one sided relationship with a bloke who cares more for coke than you.

If you dont want him using at all, then say so, and if he cant manage it you've got to walk away.

Figure out what you can put up with, set it in firm terms and if he cant keep to it end it.
  • Options
    How many times a week does he take it?