Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is anyone here studying a HND?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I am rather confused. What kind of jobs can be had after passing a HND? I read somewhere that the jobs are low paid which would really make the hard work on the HND a waste of time.

At the moment I am doing a HND in Computing and wondering honestly must I move onto the degree to be able to get the best job offers? So far I hold an Intermediate GNVQ and an AVCE (Double Award) both in ICT.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    good computing jobs are usually very competitive to get.
    one of the best things you could do for yourself atm is get some working experience in the computing industry - that is what is invaluable and will stand you in very good stead wether you get a job in computing after your hnd or after doing a degree. :yes:
    imo a HND is pretty pointless unless you do the top up year to a degree. Thats all any employers look at anyway. degrees and experience.
    I studied a HND last year in graphics, digital design and illustration and with my course it saved me having to do a foundation year.

A HND is a working standard qualification but, as someone else said, employers these days favour degrees. A very talented mature coursemate completed his HND at the same time as me yet is struggling to find work. Some institutions offer a one year top up degree which would be advisable, though the superior institutions could want you to start from the beginning which is a fecking pain!
    Neil wrote:
    I studied a HND last year in graphics, digital design and illustration and with my course it saved me having to do a foundation year.

A HND is a working standard qualification but, as someone else said, employers these days favour degrees. A very talented mature coursemate completed his HND at the same time as me yet is struggling to find work. Some institutions offer a one year top up degree which would be advisable, though the superior institutions could want you to start from the beginning which is a fecking pain!

I personally am interested in the degree, but I am more worried about other things that might go wrong. I have the government nagging me to start saving for a pension and they are right, but I am still in education and may never be able to start saving early. It's a genuine pain!
    Brenin wrote:
    I have the government nagging me to start saving for a pension and they are right, but I am still in education and may never be able to start saving early. It's a genuine pain!
    wtf - i thought you were only like 20 years old?!!
    otter wrote:
    wtf - i thought you were only like 20 years old?!!

I am talking about what I am going to do in the future, I am doing a HND right now yeah and I am 20. Also where I study, they will not let a person do the final year of a degree after a HND, might end up doing the whole degree and a Masters on top. I'd be like 26? 27 something like that.
    to put on top of that, would I ever get a good job anyway after my studies? I realise it's going to be rock solid in the world of work, just trying to get work.
    icey wrote:
    imo a HND is pretty pointless unless you do the top up year to a degree. Thats all any employers look at anyway. degrees and experience.

Exactly, in fact the HND route is a good one if your A-level results are a bit rubbish, get on a two year HND, do well then jump straight onto the third year of the degree.
    Thats what I call a streamline approach lol. HND is also useful for former AVCE students who passed their courses. The AVCE is not always considered good enough to do a degree straight off so people do a HND first.
    Speaking from personal experience and the company i work for... I did a HND but also had experience in IT so when i came for my interview i was almost the obvious choice. And as i have learnt from being here qualifications seem to mean Jack. I mean we get people requesting jobs here with degrees but they are turned away until they have some experience. But back to original point i dont think jobs (certainly not in my company) pay lower depending on your qualy's!! Experience is what matters!
    caenine06 wrote:
    Speaking from personal experience and the company i work for... I did a HND but also had experience in IT so when i came for my interview i was almost the obvious choice. And as i have learnt from being here qualifications seem to mean Jack. I mean we get people requesting jobs here with degrees but they are turned away until they have some experience. But back to original point i dont think jobs (certainly not in my company) pay lower depending on your qualy's!! Experience is what matters!

Yeah I understand