Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Question about pay rights

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To quote the ACAS website :
What rights do part-time employees get?

Part-time workers have the right not to be treated less favourably than comparable full-timers. This means they should:

* receive the same rates of pay

The above quote specifically makes a link between FT and PT workers and that they shouldnt be treated differently regarding pay, as it says they should receive the same rates of pay, so would this then be the same iif the link was between TWO part time workers rather than one FT and one PT ?

I can't find anything that matches my exact situation to which i am questioning at the moment this is the closest thing i have found either on the ACAS or DTI websites.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it basically means that anyone doing the same job should be paid the same regardless of them being full time or part time, unless they have different job titles, some places people may be on more money if they have been there longer as some places give people a 2-3% pay rise anually.
    I found out today this new spanish guy who has transferred to the store i work in is getting paid £6 [or more] an hour and they wont pay me that rate because apparently i dont qualify because i am not foreign or because i dont have a child.

It's the daftest thing i have EVER heard of. I'm more experienced and have worked for them longer than this new guy but he gets more money because he is a foreigner. This new guy is just a couple of yers older than me but we are both over 24.

My boss told me this today whilst i was following up on a previous enquiry to which i made a thread about.
    well surely thats not right, I would ask your manager to put this in writing for you stating the companies policy on overseas workers tell him/her your not very happy about the situation. At best there wont be much fuss kicked up and you will get a pay rise, don't just sit around and accept it.
    It basically means that all people in the same job should be in the same pay band, but should be paid pro-rata if they are part time.

If you job is advertised as, say, £5 - £6 they are entitled to pay him a higher rate of pay, but if it one fixed hourly rate they are not entitled to do so. If the job is, say, £12,500pa, then you should be paid £12,500 pro-rata- i.e. you get a percentage of that dependent on how many hours you work.

I'd ask ACAS and get fighting.