Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are Uni's Strict on the GCSE qualifcations?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hi peeps, I'm hoping to join a university next september but as I'v searched up I have seen that you need English GCSE at grade C (which I have at grade D). I've got 3 GCSE's:( Maths, ICT and Business Studies (all C's) but im curious if you definetly need English at a grade C to get in to uni, such as Brighton, which is my first choice or are their similar qualifications you can have? I have Key Skills Level 2 in English, I was told this is equivalent to a AS level/GCSE.

thanks guys
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I reckon universities barely look at GCSE results, or whether they even look at them at all.
  • Options
    depends what you're studying and what uni you're off to. more the latter really.

1 uni i wanted to go to wanted maths gcse at a C or above but then another uni doing the same course didn't. have a look on their websites.
  • Options
    I you have A-levels or ASs then probably not as they're a more current indicator of your ability. However, they may be looked at. I wouldn't worry though. I didn't do that well at GCSE but scored three As for A level so not really a problem.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If it states that they want a GCSE in English and Maths then they will look at these grades.

If they don't mention GCSEs then they may not care too much.
  • Options
    If it states that they want a GCSE in English and Maths then they will look at these grades.

If they don't mention GCSEs then they may not care too much.

:yes: As for English GCSE - I think it depends where you go & what you want to study. Aren't there some places that say if you don't have a C, you have to do some sort of literacy test?
  • Options
    yes for gcse english and maths.
  • Options
    The uni I go to made us bring in certificates confirming it so yeh you probably will need it, depends on the uni though I suppose, a few of my mates got into a uni in England and they'd no Maths GCSE's.
  • Options
    depends, one uni in nottingham had a minimum of B grade in maths for all subjects whereas the other only wanted C's in maths and english.
  • Options
    Unless you have A'levels in the core subjects to displace the poor GCSE result, then it is highly likely that they will look at it.

I would seriously suggest you look at getting that English C grade, as employers certainly look for it.
  • Options
    I agree with Kermit's post above - I think anyone who didn't get a C at GCSE in English (or Maths) should retake it as in the long run they will regret if they don't.

Re. universities it depends on the ratio of applicants to places.

If they're struggling to fill their places they might overlook it. Conversely, if a uni is massively oversubscribed they will use any excuse to reject candidates.
  • Options
    I applied for nottingham trent for this coming year and got a conditional offer meaning i had to pass my current course and get a C in gcse english, i contacted them and it was discussed that if i passed my key skills level 3 exam in communication (which i had already taken at the time of discussion) then i would also be accepted. Found out the other day i passed btw :D, but all of the courses i looked at said the same thing
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    I applied for nottingham trent for this coming year and got a conditional offer meaning i had to pass my current course and get a C in gcse english, i contacted them and it was discussed that if i passed my key skills level 3 exam in communication (which i had already taken at the time of discussion) then i would also be accepted. Found out the other day i passed btw :D, but all of the courses i looked at said the same thing
    :yes: i want to come to notts trent after 6th form - i think its just the maths and english they care about. In some foundation degrees they're not bothered at all. I've got to get a C in maths though so fingers crossed. I've worked really hard!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    :yes: i want to come to notts trent after 6th form - i think its just the maths and english they care about. In some foundation degrees they're not bothered at all. I've got to get a C in maths though so fingers crossed. I've worked really hard!

Of course, that does depend on what you do. Was looking at the UCAS website last night and some places said that they want a C in English (which I don't have; but do have a high D) and either a C in Maths or Science. (I only have the C in Maths currently)
  • Options
    hmeista wrote:
    hi peeps, I'm hoping to join a university next september but as I'v searched up I have seen that you need English GCSE at grade C (which I have at grade D). I've got 3 GCSE's:( Maths, ICT and Business Studies (all C's) but im curious if you definetly need English at a grade C to get in to uni, such as Brighton, which is my first choice or are their similar qualifications you can have? I have Key Skills Level 2 in English, I was told this is equivalent to a AS level/GCSE.

thanks guys

At GCSE I was required to have a B in mathematics and C in English as minimum to get a place. I was surprised to learn this to be honest because so many people have told me once you start a level qualifications GCSEs practically go out the window, obviously not.
  • Options
    icey wrote:

Nice 1 mate bet its good to finally pass it
  • Options
    mrbox99 wrote:
    At GCSE I was required to have a B in mathematics and C in English as minimum to get a place. I was surprised to learn this to be honest because so many people have told me once you start a level qualifications GCSEs practically go out the window, obviously not.

Depends what you take though. Like, I have a qualification in something called Foundations of Advanced Maths, which is slightly higher than intermediate GCSE. (I took intermediate GCSE Maths, then went on to do FAM)