Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Quantity posession for drug thresholds

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
Thought some of you might be interested in the below information -
The 2005 Drugs Act has a number of stated aims including the enhancement of Police and Court powers against drug offenders by the creation of a new presumption of intent to supply where a defendant is found to be in possession of a certain quantity of controlled drugs (view source). This Act came into force on 1st January 2006 .

You can find a table of proposed quantities on the Lifeline website, as well as a download of the report.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i thought it was 10 pills that could be seen as intent to supply.. so is that table saying its 5pills now?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    They are only proposed amounts, its not been legislated yet...
    LadyJade wrote:
    They are only proposed amounts, its not been legislated yet...

It's still scary. Any more than 1/5 oz of weed and intent to supply is presumed? Ridiculous!
    This is beyond belief. It's ok to have 14 grams of amphetamine but 1/5 oz of blow and you're screwed. :crazyeyes
    That table is fucked up! I mean...seriously!
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Could you elaborate? I'm interested to know why from a users perspective...
    from a users pespective ...a reasonably health conscious users perspective ...why would you need a big bag of powder or pills for yourself?
    with weed ...you might smoke the stuff all day and bake a cake for the weekend ...
    and yes technicaly sharing your dope with a mate is supply but in reality ...smoking is a social ...communal thing where the reality is that you do share it.
    Did they actually do ANY research for this? What clown proposed those limits?! I can't believe a fifth of weed is on the same level as 2 grams of coke, crack or heroin. Mentalists.
    and some people just don't want to go shopping in an illegal environment every day ...especialy when there are special offers on.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I've bought up to 20 pills before, simply for my own use.
    Weekender Offender 
    I expected nothing less, this government gets more and more fascist by the day, we're being asked to shop people who look like illegal workers now, which is reality means anyone with dark skin.

Grim, we're witnessing the swing of the pendulum, we're in for worse, much worse than this.

Anyway, aside from the presumption of guilt, something I thought even this government would have thought beyond harsh this has no basis in risk assessment at all.

14 grams speed = 5 grams cannabis?

That could mean 14g of pure amphetamine vs. 5g of leaf, I know which one I think more dangerous.

2g crack = 5 pills?

Its all crazy, I only hope someone takes this to the EU court because it presumes guilt, but I doubt they'll be allowed to get that far. Bunker down people, we're in for a rough time.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I expected nothing less, this government gets more and more fascist by the day, we're being asked to shop people who look like illegal workers now, which is reality means anyone with dark skin.

Grim, we're witnessing the swing of the pendulum, we're in for worse, much worse than this.

Anyway, aside from the presumption of guilt, something I thought even this government would have thought beyond harsh this has no basis in risk assessment at all.

14 grams speed = 5 grams cannabis?

That could mean 14g of pure amphetamine vs. 5g of leaf, I know which one I think more dangerous.

2g crack = 5 pills?

Its all crazy, I only hope someone takes this to the EU court because it presumes guilt, but I doubt they'll be allowed to get that far. Bunker down people, we're in for a rough time.
    your right bong.
    forces are gathering right now to challenge the bastards n court i'm sure.
    these figures are off the top of some nut jobs head ...they are completely without foundation and meaningless.
    half an once of speed!!!!!!!!!!!!

i should be exempt by now anyway ...i have proved beyond all reasonable doubt that my little drop of poison is no threat to me or anyone else ...i should be granted some kind of certificate of exemption.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What the fuck is up with those amounts? For gods sake... this takes the piss!
    i was in amsterdam a couple of weeks back and as you all know cannabis is freely available.
    at lunch time many office workers pop into the coffee shops for a snack and a smoke ...not to get monged ...more to have an unwind for half an hour.
    most of the cafes are of a very high quality ...clean discreet pleasant etc.
    they have absolutely no semblance to drug dens ...there are those that purposely do have that image of course but most are very respectable establishments.
    this has gone on for years with little or no negative impact on society. the most positive impact is on the economy.
    you sit in the sunshine having a smoke whilst chatting to the old bill as opposed to being searched humiliated harrassed arrested thrown in the back of a van taken down the nick for hours charged with being a criminal taken to court penalised and or imprisoned.
    another positive impact is there coppers aren't wasting your time and theirs. your taxes and theirs.
    it's quite hard to find negative attitudes to their gun toting cops. people aren't afraid of them ...don't mistrust or hate them.
    yet it would seem there are zero lessons to be learned from their experience.
    why?
    why why why why why?
    why?
    why why why why why?

Its all to do with image, actually solving the problem isnt popular, so because the government is seen as weak on immigration and crime it clamps down. It cant do this on immigration because that would mean tough choices, hard work and investment. So, drug users are chosen because they cant fight back and are easy prey, so the government can look tough in the tabloids.

If Blair wasnt on his way out, we'd never get this measure being introduced. As always with this government they are playing with the law to make themselves look good, not actually solve any problems or reduce the harm.
    :(