Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

law regarding dogs?

Ive just had a new neighbour telling me that my dog should always be on a lead - that its the law.
Now I was under the impression that a dog should always be under control, not necessarily on the lead. Does anyone know?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's always meant to be on a lead while on public property - such as pavements etc.

I don't know about fields or parks etc, I know we always let our dog off and no one cares :)
  • Options
    I think it varies from council to council, this one for example can fine you upto £200 if your dog is off a lead.

It's a shame they dont have so many rules and regulations about the owners of some dogs.
  • Options
  • Options
    cheers, thanks for that. my neighbour was just being a prat then. I thought as much. She came out of her house specially this morning to tell me to put my dog IN my house as she was frightened of dogs (even though she has a dog) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I think you just have a weird neighbour
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    it wouldnt be as bad, but milliemoo is a complete poofter. We took her to my cousins the other day and her CAT chased Millie all around the garden and Millie was screaming and yelping with fear!
    Then when there was a bit of thunder later, Millie moo was desperatly trying to hide behind their printer, but couldnt, so curled up behind the toilet shaking.

dangerous dog - me thinks not.
  • Options
    I get that all the time. I have a Staffie and people think that they are dangerous and evil. But I call him a girl or a poofter. He starts shaking if you raise your voice slightly in a convo. Neighbours that interfere are the worst.
  • Options
    millies half staffie. I think they do shake a lot tbh dont they.
    Shes only about half the size of a normal staffie though and not nearly as broad.
  • Options
    I've just got a new neighbour and he's got 2 staffies, he resuced them from a farm where they were used as fighters and they were abused and stuff.

Good for him but they are still vicious dogs because they were trained to be and he wonders why I drag Archie into the house everytime they're out.
  • Options
    Dogs are like children. It is all to do with the way you raise them. Outside influences would affect children though.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Im not saying all staffies are vicious by the way, just his cos they were trained to be.
  • Options
    she probably has one of those little rat dogs that are the latest handbag accessorie for celebs. Who needs those bag charms when you've got a mini ball of fluff?
    When my parents first moved here and the old neighbours were still here - one of the springers that they had then used to sneak onto their garden, nick her bras and run around with them on her face! :lol:
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    I've just got a new neighbour and he's got 2 staffies, he resuced them from a farm where they were used as fighters and they were abused and stuff.

Good for him but they are still vicious dogs because they were trained to be and he wonders why I drag Archie into the house everytime they're out.
    well tbh, i would never rescue an ex fighting dog. The safest and kindest thing for them is to be put down humanely. I dont think the rest of the world should have to adjust their lives though because someone else might have an irrational fear.
  • Options
    mind you, i say that, but there was an instance where someone asked me to hold millie while she went past or put her on a lead because she was frightened, and I was fine with that, but its all about the way you ask something, and her coming out of her house like that specially to have a go, it was quite aggressive of her really.
  • Options
    well tbh, i would never rescue an ex fighting dog. The safest and kindest thing for them is to be put down humanely.
    Exactly, the guy doesnt even walk them either which is probably contributing to their viciousness, they're probably dying to get out for a run around.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I very rarely use a lead for my Staffy, and have to put up with the ignorant cunts spouting shite like that. "Those dogs are horrible" or "It should be on a lead". Well bollocks to that. If somebody is has an irrational fear of dogs then that is their problem, not mine,

Ex fighting dogs won't necessarally be any threat to people any way. My mate has one and it's lovely with people, but can be a problem with other dogs and animals.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

1. "It should be on a lead".

2. Well bollocks to that. If somebody is has an irrational fear of dogs then that is their problem, not mine,

1. That's because it should. Even if you don't legally have to, it's just good manners and common decency.

2. When it hurts someone and they take you to court over it will be your problem.

:mad:
  • Options
    why is it good manners?

I never thought it was impolite to have a well behaved dog off a lead and walking with its owner - I think thats lovely actually.
  • Options
    LeedsLad wrote:
    it's just good manners and common decency.

Is it fuck.
    LeedsLad wrote:
    2. When it hurts someone and they take you to court over it will be your problem.

You mean 'if' not 'when'.

The point is dogs don't have to be on the lead at all times, and shouldn't be made to simply because a few people have an irrational fear of dogs.

I live in the New Forest where there's a large number of different wild and quite potentially dangerous animals. I still get cunts coming up to me telling my dog should be on a lead. I've had rows with people on a number of occasions over it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If you are walking in a crowded public place it is good manners to respect other peoples feelings. What's the issue with that?

If the dog cannot be trusted to leave people alone, then it should be on a lead. And I don't even mean attacking- why should I have to put up with some stupid dog dribbling all over my clothes? It's not my dog.

Dogs that can't behave should be on leads. Dogs should always be on leads around livestock, and I fully support the right of farmers to shoot dogs that are worrying livestock because of their stupid owners.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you are walking in a crowded public place it is good manners to respect other peoples feelings. What's the issue with that?

I'm talking about walking the dog on the Forest or in a large park. Not down the high street or through the market.
    Kermit wrote:
    If the dog cannot be trusted to leave people alone, then it should be on a lead.

That goes without saying - any dog that cannot be controlled should not be off the lead.
    Kermit wrote:
    Dogs should always be on leads around livestock

:no:
    Neither mine or any of my mates dogs trouble the livestock on the forest. Most have them have been brought up in farm enviroments and are used to tailing horses when we go riding.
    Kermit wrote:
    and I fully support the right of farmers to shoot dogs that are worrying livestock because of their stupid owners.

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

If the dog cannot be trusted to leave people alone, then it should be on a lead. And I don't even mean attacking- why should I have to put up with some stupid dog dribbling all over my clothes? It's not my dog.
    This happened outside the front of my house tho. She rarely goes up to people at all, even when they call her. She was minding her own business tbh, with my son, and the woman came out specially to moan.

Of course if it was a crowded public place, she`d be on a lead as i wouldnt want her to get lost.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I'm talking about walking the dog on the Forest or in a large park. Not down the high street or through the market.

In a large park then yeah, off the lead is fine, so long as nobody is being bothered by the dog.
    Neither mine or any of my mates dogs trouble the livestock on the forest. Most have them have been brought up in farm enviroments and are used to tailing horses when we go riding.[/quote[

Most people's dogs aren't so well trained, though, and the Countryside Code does really say you should have them on leads in fields with livestock.

GWST's old border collie was a mountain rescue dog, so he was great around sheep- he was free to roam the fields around her house- but it is still easier to keep them on a lead unless you know the farmer.

And if someone is coming out of the house to yell, then just tell them to fuck off.
  • Options
    whenever i go up to my local shop (i.e. next street) i take my dog and don't put her on the lead

She's very good and stays close (if not right by my legs) and even with a road to cross she sits on the kerb and waits for me to tell her it's okay to cross :D

and if i call her she's comes straight away so no worry of her bothering people.

If there are other dogs about tho i do tend to put her on the lead otherwise she would want to play and i'd be there forever trying to get her away, lol
  • Options
    tbh millie is fine off the lead wherever we are, but always have her o a lead near a road because it only takes one squirrell on the other side of the road.....
    Other dogs she tends to ignore for some reason, but she cant resist a squirrell.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Dogs that can't behave should be on leads. Dogs should always be on leads around livestock, and I fully support the right of farmers to shoot dogs that are worrying livestock because of their stupid owners.

you are ~such~ an interesting person. kermit you might like to read the animals act 1971 its only about 11sections but you mite find it useful to think about the civil law in this area. it's interesting because there are, as usual a consideration of common law actions in nuisance and negligence as well as the statute. cf, well do the research yourself! ;D
  • Options
    why is it good manners?

I never thought it was impolite to have a well behaved dog off a lead and walking with its owner - I think thats lovely actually.

I quite like that as well. When I walk into town, I have to walk through one of the local parks. There are always dogs off their leads running around. They will sometimes come up to sniff me, but other than that they tend to mind their own businness and just run around with their owner.