Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Are there any world leaders you actually admire?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just thinking, this forum is always about people we hate in the world. Are there any leaders of countries you admire?

I personally can't think of anyone currently. But that's probably because the one's worth admiring are the one's that can actually fit their ego inside their car, and don't think that their opinion needs to be inflicted upon the rest of the world, so they don't make the news as much.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Evo Morales
    Saparmurat Niyazov also known as Turkmenabashi - President of Turkmenistan.

What a fucking legend. I wanna be like him when I grow up.

Here is a small list of his awesome accomplishments to date.

- Banning news readers from wearing make-up as he had difficulty telling male and female readers apart
    - Passing a law that every school pupil, student, soldier and military officer in Turkmenistan is to be presented on New Year's Eve with a watch bearing the picture of him
    - Requiring foreigners wishing to marry a Turkmen national to pay a $50,000 fee.
    - Renaming bread from chorek, the traditional Turkmen word, to Gurbansoltan edzhe after his mother
    - Redefining the stages of life, with adolescence extending to 25 and old age beginning at 85
    - Insisting that all licensed drivers pass a morality test
    - Urging young people not to get gold tooth caps or gold teeth, suggesting instead that they chew on bones to preserve their teeth
    - Ordering that physicians swear an oath to himself instead of the Hippocratic Oath
    - Changing the names of the days of the week to him and his family

I mean, if redefining the ages that adolescence and old age fall under isn't a sign that you are truly a god amongst men, what is?

Some may call this brutal repression, human rights violations yadda yadda, I call it presidential licence. The world needs more men like Niyazov.
    :lol: :thumb:
    Spain's Prime Minister, Zapatero.

He's told the US to fuck off.

His very first action as PM was to keep his promise to the Spanish public and remove Spanish troops from the illegal war in Iraq.

He's one of the very few leaders who have summed up the balls to denounce the Allies as a bunch of trigger happy cowboys.

He has been the most critical leader of Israel in the West (though not enough).

He has legalised gay marriage and gay adoption.

In fact, the sun shines out of his arse :)
    The Spanish leader only did anything because he had to play up to the people and what they wanted. I am not saying that is a bad thing at all, politicians do not lead any more, they pander to the people who give them power. If the terror attack in Spain had not occured he would never have been elected and the conservative Spanish people would have stood by the US. they suffer a terror attack and the people over night change their minds. He was a man in the right place at the right time.

However i do not deny, once in power and in full throw he did carry on with his ways, he didnt back down or change his beliefs, so that is something.

I admired Bill Clinton, but since he left office...no world leaders capture my support. I would have said the Canadian leader but since he was hit with that massive scandle along with his party, etc i guess no longer him either.
    A couple of corrections if I may...
    subject13 wrote:
    The Spanish leader only did anything because he had to play up to the people and what they wanted.
    Not quite. He did it because his party doesn't believe in neocon crusades. Not surprisingly really, seeing as it is a left of centre party.

His pledge to withdraw from Iraq was done months if not years before the Madrid bombings in case you're wondering.
    I am not saying that is a bad thing at all, politicians do not lead any more, they pander to the people who give them power. If the terror attack in Spain had not occured he would never have been elected and the conservative Spanish people would have stood by the US. they suffer a terror attack and the people over night change their minds. He was a man in the right place at the right time.
    The Spanish did not change their minds because the terrorist attack, but because the fucking lying subhuman cunt Aznar lied to the Spanish people and indeed the world and claimed it was ETA that did it- even when both the police and intelligence services told him it was most certainly not.

Incredibly, Aznar and his necon party still refuse to admit it wasn't ETA. They've become a national joke. It's wonderful :)
    In a democracy, the 'leaders' are supposed to carry out the will of the people though, or at least they should be. That's who they're working for.
    gadaffi.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ah, let us see:

Vladimir Putin. A bit of a git at times, but a fucking legend all the same. Done alot for Russia, but also slowly making it his dictatorship. But he is starting to get the economy on the up.

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Hoseini-Khamenei (to give him his full title). I don't agree with him at all really. But I love how he has the balls to stand up to anyone and voice his views. He isn't afraid of shit because he knows no-one is stupid enough to invade Iran. Nutter!

Fidel Castro!Done more for Cuba than nearly any other leader can say they've done for thier country. EVER. Turned it from a corrupt, immoral country full of prositution, paedophilia, corruption, STD's, drug abuse, and so forth, into a stable, safe, country. Has great health care, literacy, and one of the lowest HIV rates around! He also isn't afraid to stand up to anyone! His cronies in South America are alright too. Chavez just ordered some more Mi-24's, I believe! Great taste in Helicopters.
    Russia still owes Cuba a bunch of MiG-29's the USSR promised them...
    i like tony blair because he has an answer for everything which is much like myself in the kind of situations he gets put under. i can relate and i watch his every thought when he's working. it would be great at cabinet meetings with blair, i'd fire his arga
    i like tony blair because he has an answer for everything

Which is always a lie.

I didn't understand the last sentence.

Nice one Gerbil for mentioning old Vladimir Vladimirovich. I respect him as a world leader for being the only one of the G8 to properly have the balls to tell the US where to stick it. That and being the leader of one of the most awesome countries ever. Sadly, Turkmenabashi just nicks it.
    Which is always a lie.

I didn't understand the last sentence.

Nice one Gerbil for mentioning old Vladimir Vladimirovich. I respect him as a world leader for being the only one of the G8 to properly have the balls to tell the US where to stick it. That and being the leader of one of the most awesome countries ever. Sadly, Turkmenabashi just nicks it.

that's because the US has and had a good case. the base attack america. i wonder what the taliban and the base were expecting america to do.

i watched some footage with american soldiers killing a muslim and when they'd shot him they laughed like george bush as if it were in his name.

i guess that means that the avg american aint really with bush on this one.
    Do you really want me to bore everyone else by explaining that the Taliban had nothing to do with anything?

Again I fail to understand the last two paragraphs. Ok, I understand the individual words but I fail to see the point. That and the last two lines kinda contradict each other.
    Do you really want me to bore everyone else by explaining that the Taliban had nothing to do with anything?

Again I fail to understand the last two paragraphs. Ok, I understand the individual words but I fail to see the point. That and the last two lines kinda contradict each other.
    same here but i rarely unserstand his posts,
    Never mind. Anyone ever been to Tick All The Boxes? No? Thought not.
    Has someone mentioned Fidel yet?

:D
    President Bush and Dr. Condoleeza Rice.
    John Howard, Australian PM
    Stephen Harper, Canadian PM
    Angela Merkel, German Chancellor
    President Bush

May I ask why?
    Aladdin wrote:

Yeah Gerbil did. Who else but theSite's resident pinko?
    Aladdin wrote:

:D

But your beloved Castro has killed even more than Pinochet who you hate so much...(And while the latter voluntarily gave up power to allow for democracy Castro is still clinging on).
    Who says he's my beloved?

However I love the way he manages to make the blood of right-wingers boil... at the same time as they shake hands with and sing the praises of brutal fascist dictators.
    But your beloved Castro has killed even more than Pinochet who you hate so much.

Gonna provide a source for such an outrageous claim?
    May I ask why?
    I was thinking that. Even if you agree with his policies and what he's doing at the moment, he's still achieved fuck all.
    Must be an 'interesting' experience to have admiration for someone the immense majority of people on Earth think is an utter cunt.
    I was just thinking, this forum is always about people we hate in the world. Are there any leaders of countries you admire?

Individuals exhibiting sociopathic behaviour have never brought out the admiration in me.(Or "respect" for that matter, even though some would say that is a failing on my part).
    seeker wrote:
    Individuals exhibiting sociopathic behaviour have never brought out the admiration in me.(Or "respect" for that matter, even though some would say that is a failing on my part).

So that's to say you don't admire any world leaders?
    So that's to say you don't admire any world leaders?

Yes if that`s the label you want to attach to these people.

I see that sort of labelling as a kind of sugar coating, whilst recognising that sugar coating is perceived as helpful to some. (See Mary Poppins ;) )
    Labelling? What the fuck are you on about?

They are called world leaders because they lead their respective countries and thus, as a group, they are leaders of the world. That is not to say that they lead the world (against whom?) merely that within the world, they are leaders of the constitute nations of the world. If I'd called them super-awesome lovely peope, that would be labelling. This is calling them by their titles. Don't get into a semantics argument with me.

You want me to believe that Bob Geldof, Bono and Bob Dylan are the real world leaders?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    turlough wrote:
    Gonna provide a source for such an outrageous claim?

You really expect him to do that? Or at least, provide a source that is reputable.

Pinochet was a bastard. Next he'll be saying Franco was better than Castro. :lol:
    I'm sure he would actually say that.

Remember how the US (and shamefully Britain and the other WWII victors) refused to remove the little Hitler-supporting fascist shit when it could have been so easy.

And why? Because Franco shared their fear/hatred of Evil Commies, so the little fascist could be used to keep Reds at bay at the gates of Europe. And let the Spanish people be fucked for 40 years by a Christianofascist ruthless dictatorship, but never mind that.