Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

OMG a Anti-War Protest

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sure you are all to busy, apathetic or belive Israel is totally right but there is a protest in whitehall tomorrw asking the UK Government to stop backing the US and start calling for a proper ceasefire.

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/documents/lebanondemo.pdf

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You're alright. I don't wanna be put in jail for 30 days without charge. :p
    Im afraid im going to be in Milton Keynes seeing 'The New Statesman' live.:thumb:
    I'm afraid I'm an apathetic 20 something who has become disillusioned with politics and thus I don't actually give a fuck about something happening thousands of miles away and doesn't affect me in the slightest.

At least I'm honest.
    Is this not spam? It's hardly political debate.

Anyway if I had nothing better to do like the lazy unemployed wasters at the Stop the War Coalition I'd go along with the Israeli flag for a counter-demo. (Funny how the scum criticising Israel for fighting terrorism have nothing to say about Russia fighting terrorism in Chechnya...) Oh and it is a bit odd that an organisation started in response to the Iraq War is involving itself in an unrelated matter, or should I expect the Free Tibet campaign to get involved too?
    Which war are we trying to stop now?
    (Funny how the scum criticising Israel for fighting terrorism have nothing to say about Russia fighting terrorism in Chechnya...)

I have a lot to say about that...
    the lazy unemployed wasters at the Stop the War Coalition
    You can be a complete prat sometimes. :rolleyes:
    the scum criticising Israel for fighting terrorism
    Scum? :rolleyes:

What does that make of those who protest in favour of Israel having the right to murder innocent civilians with impunity? Can we call them child murderer apologists?
    Is this not spam? It's hardly political debate.

Anyway if I had nothing better to do like the lazy unemployed wasters at the Stop the War Coalition I'd go along with the Israeli flag for a counter-demo. (Funny how the scum criticising Israel for fighting terrorism have nothing to say about Russia fighting terrorism in Chechnya...) Oh and it is a bit odd that an organisation started in response to the Iraq War is involving itself in an unrelated matter, or should I expect the Free Tibet campaign to get involved too?

I have a job i just also have an employer nice enough to give me time off to go. I have bloody loads to say about Chechnya but unlike some people i can stick to the topic at hand............
    i would love to go, and have been wondering if there were protests, but im doing fundraising that evening, and i think if i went to the march i doubt wed get back in time :(:(:(
    Anyway if I had nothing better to do like the lazy unemployed wasters at the Stop the War Coalition ?
    i've had a lot of respect for you dis ...the way you fight your corner with a knowlegable and commited stance ...but you do yourself no favours with such misinformed and malicous tripe as this!
    makes me wonder how much more of your stuff comes in the same vien.
    maybe thats why theyve done the protest for an evening, so workers can go too?
    i've had a lot of respect for you dis ...the way you fight your corner with a knowlegable and commited stance ...but you do yourself no favours with such misinformed and malicous tripe as this!
    makes me wonder how much more of your stuff comes in the same vien.

Shrugs, it's a nasty off-the-cuff comment I accept. Unfortunately most of the anti-Israel protesters I've came across have been extremely nasty and intimidating people, some even with a very sinister agenda. When I was working at Marks & Spencer a bit back there used to be weekly protests (there might still be) outside the shop calling for a boycott of Marks & Spencer because it stocked some Israeli products. M&S staff were verbally abused, sometimes even spat at and the protests got to the point where there used to be a police presence. A few Israelis I know of who made a bit of a counter-demo were threatened, one of them - an openly gay Israeli and his partner were verbally abused by a Muslim man on the anti-Israel protest. (Bizarrely it would seem the left wingers protesting against Israel don't have a problem sharing a platform with a homophobe).

The singling out of Israel also concerns me. Last year the homes of 700,000 Zimbabwean city dwellers were demolished. Hundreds of thousands are still homeless. There wasn't a whimper from the Stop the War Coalition. There were no organised protests to pressure the government to do something. And save token condemnation the international community and the UN were silent. What Mugabe has done and what the Chinese regime has done in China make Israel's wrongdoings, past and present look minor. I'm puzzled as to why Israel gets the special treatment. Or do a lot of people only care about victims of Israel - and not victims of China and Zimbabwe? Israel isn't perfect and blame lies on both sides, that is historically true of the Arab-Israeli conflict and equally true of current events. Israel did not initiate the latest escalation and the status quo where a powerful Hezbollah can freely kidnap Israelis and attack Israeli territory is not acceptable. Lebanon is unable to contain Hezbollah's private army and Hezbollah, backed by Iran threatens the entire region - not just Israel. Although at the same time Israel needs to act with greater care. But wholly blaming Israel as many are is unfair.
    You make some reasonable points but I don't agree about Mugabe. Sure he's kicked people out from their land but is he not just returning the balance back the black Zimbabweans? I mean, what right did the white farmers have, all of whom, a few generations ago, took their land from the blacks? Mugabe is doing nothing more than righting some wrongs that go back to the 16th century when the Portugese arrived. And, amongst a catalogue of repression of the black inhabitants, the legislation of 1930 which excluded Africans from ownership of the best farming land further enhancing white supremacy really took the biscuit. I mean for fuck's sake! You live in a place and have done for x number of generations, all of a sudden, whitey shows up, kicks your arse, makes you mine some shiny shit and then passes a law that says you can't own any decent farmable land! No wonder they're pissed off! Don't you think they were owed a bit back?? Perhaps the way old Mugabe went about it was a little direct but to be honest, given the amount of repression that the black people in Zimbabwe have experienced, especially since the British rocked up, I'm not surprised he went in for the kill directly.

I just thought comparing it to Zimbabwe was a weak point.
    You make some reasonable points but I don't agree about Mugabe. Sure he's kicked people out from their land but is he not just returning the balance back the black Zimbabweans? I mean, what right did the white farmers have, all of whom, a few generations ago, took their land from the blacks? Mugabe is doing nothing more than righting some wrongs that go back to the 16th century when the Portugese arrived. Sure I feel for the white farmers who probably haven't done much wrong but they have no right to hold that land.

I just thought comparing it to Zimbabwe was a weak point.
    My God, don't try and defend that cock stain. By that logic, Israel is just righting some wrongs committed thousands of years ago. Why don't the Welsh and the Scots rise up and destroy the homes of all the English? Why don't the native Americans send all non-natives back to Europe (please God no :p)?
    My God, don't try and defend that cock stain. By that logic, Israel is just righting some wrongs committed thousands of years ago. Why don't the Welsh and the Scots rise up and destroy the homes of all the English? Why don't the native Americans send all non-natives back to Europe (please God no :p)?

Wasn't defending him. Just tacitly congratulating him for such a long post :)

Most non-native American's don't know where Britain and Holland are on the map so that plan would fail. Though most know where Mexico is which may help a bit.

Still not sure where I stand on the Israel issue - the whole think stinks of American involvement. The other examples are technically correct but we're talking 2,000 years here. Brutal oppression was still going on in Zimbabwe until 1991 when they finally passed a law that allocated half of the land to blacks and half to whites (despite whites only making up 10% or so) and in 1988 they repealed the law guaranteeing at least 20 seats in the parliament to white delegates. This was less than 20 years ago and, I imagine, still in the minds of most people. We're talking current generation of the black ruling class in Zimbabwe who were probably directly affected by all this nastiness. I doubt most Welsh people still feel the pain of being given a baby for a king by Edward I (the origin of the title of the Prince of Wales) nor many Scots feel aggrevied by what happened at Bannockburn or Culloden.

Now all we need is some pernickety Welshman or Scot to say they do and prove me wrong.
    I doubt most Welsh people still feel the pain of being given a baby for a king by Edward I (the origin of the title of the Prince of Wales) nor many Scots feel aggrevied by what happened at Bannockburn or Culloden.
    You obviously don't know many Celts. :p
    You obviously don't know many Celts. :p

They should fucking grow up :p

I'm 3/4 Irish and I don't feel bitter about Cromwell or any of that nonsense.
    Shrugs, it's a nasty off-the-cuff comment I accept. Unfortunately most of the anti-Israel protesters I've came across have been extremely nasty and intimidating people, some even with a very sinister agenda.
    You haven't come across many then.
    You can be a complete prat sometimes.

He is comptetly right. Except he forgot to ad that they are in bed with Islamist clerical fascists.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    He is comptetly right. Except he forgot to ad that they are in bed with Islamist clerical fascists.

Please.

Don't be ignorant. Religion and Fascism are two completley opposed things.
    ^ Wrong. Islamism is a form of fascism.
    ^ Wrong. Islamism is a form of fascism.
    same wit dem catolics.
    same wit dem catolics.

For a moment, I thought that was Latin and was about to Google it to find out what it meant! You wouldn't know I got an A at GCSE Latin would you...

*Senion Citizen moment alert!*

It's ok - we all have our retarded moments now and then. I put it down to being a linguist and not actually being able to speak any language very well...
    Rubbish as usual. Anyone who dares to raise objections to anything Israel does, no matter how barbaric or murderous, is a Jew-hating nazi. Change the fucking record already.

Yawn x 1,000,000,000,000,000
    You make some reasonable points but I don't agree about Mugabe. Sure he's kicked people out from their land but is he not just returning the balance back the black Zimbabweans?

Er the 700,000 thousand people he made homeless were poor blacks. I wasn't talking about white farmers...Click. Kinda shows how little people care.

And anyway land confiscated from white farmers wasn't given to black labourers who'd worked the land (and understood how to farm). It was given to Mugabe's Zanu PF supporters who didn't have a clue what to do with the land. (Hence Zimbabwe's transformation from feeding much of Africa and being the richest African country to a third world country...Indeed, many of the blacks working for white farmers actually joined the white farmers in attempting to fight the land confiscation programme).