Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

New job and trial

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well on Tuesday I had a job interview and since I don't have much expierence they have offered me a 2 week trial to see how I get on and if I am worth keeping on perminantly. I really want this job and I want to impress them so what can I do to make them want to keep me on full time?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't try to impress. Just be yourself - you can't make them like you or want you.
    Do the job well. Ask if you have problems.
    Go in there with confidence and don't let anyone's status bother you. Ask questions if you're given something to do that you don't understand, but also give yourself a chance to work it out and then ask intelligent questions to show which bits you do understand. Ask for more work if you think you can manage it - look willing. Always try to have a laugh with your new colleagues and take an interest in them, their lives and jobs (and yet without intregating them!).

I started a new job at the beginning of March and everyone says I've settled in really well. There is a senior manager who everyone seems scared of, but I decided to make my own mind up about and now we get on really well. He's always really nice to me and I've never done anything unusual for him, just be pleasant, make him the odd coffee and do what he asks of me (don't feel like I'm making a special effort with him - maybe my old bosses where just complete nightmares and I naturally do more than is expected!)

There is also someone who has just recently started working with us, in fact in the position directly above me. She's not settling in so well because she gets given a job by her equals but doesn't dare ask how to do it and then comes down the corridor to my office and asks me to "help" her with it. She ends up palming it off on to me and not learning anything.

ETA: What's the job, btw?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi ya Kaz,
    Congrats on getting the trial - you must have made a good impression to be offered it. There's lots of useful tips on this article on surviving the start of a new job

Hope it helps :)