Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Steam rooms and saunas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What are the benefits (point even) of dry heat saunas and steam rooms?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    naked people?

sweat out bad stuff in your system?

i dunno
    Lucky for me the women never wander around or go in the steam room naked (at least at the gym I go to) (the sauna's are for both sex) Everybody hides in their own corners and changes in the closed door changing stalls. Ed however tells me how he suffers with old men walking around, weighing themselves, watching tv, just chilling butt ass naked.

But thats neither here nor there.

The steam room has this (do you have vicks vapor rub there?) kind of smell to it. Feels great on the lungs, is this common?... maybe I just react to it weird
    From what I know it can relax you and increase circulation. Plus you're sweating toxins away so a better complexion for you! Hurrah.

If you haven't been in one before I'd do it gradually.

When I went into a sauna for the first time I got freaked out that I'd get locked in. So left kinda early. Heh heh
    I felt amazing after I went to the ones in Russia. You sweat out all the shit in your system, it's amazing for the complection and, if you use the combination of sauna and plunge pools, it works wonders for the circulation.
    Whats a plunge pool?

So is there no difference in benefits between the two then?
    Helps remove spots.
    I think a plunge pool is a pool of like extremely cold water and you go back and forth.. is it not?

Spot on.
    It cleans out the pores and gets rid of toxins, decreasing spots and oily skin.

They rest tired muscles, especially after exercise, and promote emotional wellbeing.

It's just a shame that in the UK everyone is so fucking prudish and make you wear clothes. You are supposed to be naked in a sauna, its the only way to be.
    Kermit wrote:
    It cleans out the pores and gets rid of toxins, decreasing spots and oily skin.

They rest tired muscles, especially after exercise, and promote emotional wellbeing.

It's just a shame that in the UK everyone is so fucking prudish and make you wear clothes. You are supposed to be naked in a sauna, its the only way to be.

We don't wear clothes in out sauna.... :yeees: well I wouldn't call my swimming trunks clothes...

Anyway, saunas are awesome, I average about half an hour each time...
    As well as it being good for the muscles and your wellbeing (by releasing endorphins) it also burns calories (water and fat - how much depends on your metabolism)... So make sure you are hydrated when you go in it or after it. You gotta replace the water...
    You don't need a plunge pool, just use the cold shower ;)
    It's an awesome feeling, 10 minutes sauna, cold shower, 10 minutes, cold shower....
    Wearing swimming trunks in a sauna is just manky.

Naked is the only way to do it.
    my_name wrote:
    Lucky for me the women never wander around or go in the steam room naked (at least at the gym I go to) (the sauna's are for both sex) Everybody hides in their own corners and changes in the closed door changing stalls. Ed however tells me how he suffers with old men walking around, weighing themselves, watching tv, just chilling butt ass naked.

But thats neither here nor there.

The steam room has this (do you have vicks vapor rub there?) kind of smell to it. Feels great on the lungs, is this common?... maybe I just react to it weird
    We do have Vicks Vapour Rub here.
    I don't know what the point of saunas is and I cannot bear them anyhow, but steam rooms make your lungs work harder.
    my_name wrote:
    What are the benefits (point even) of dry heat saunas and steam rooms?
    total relaxation
    sauna after working out = lovely