Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Trespassing Laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My Dad once told me that there was a law when he was younger, that said that if you paid Sixpence to the landowner, you were no longer trespassing. As far as he is aware, that law's not been overturned.

So I'm curious to know, has that law been overruled by another, or is it one of those old laws like you can't shoot a welshman outside the walls of cheltenham except for on a sunday morning (or something like that!!)

Comments

• Options
    that law will be a little outdated, but the principle would either be that you have created a binding contract with consideration provided. or that you have purchased a licence to be on the land.

i'm not entirely sure it's a strange rule, probably higher flying law students could answer it with more words.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It *was* a law in the Isle of Man. Click! However, I'm too lazy to do a concise google about whether it was throughout the UK and whether it is still there.

There are many bizarre laws so I would be quite surprised if it has changed, but I don't know :chin:
  • Options
    It might still be a law but I don't think people these days would much appreciate a sixpence in return for you letting them on your land.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Intrestingly trespass is not a criminal offence.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Trespass is a civil offence. It's up to the landowner to press charges, the crown won't. The landowner, the landowner's agents or the police under direction from the landowner have the right to remove trespassers from their property using reasonable force.
    Trespass only becomes a criminal offence if it is aggravated trespass, which was brought in under the 1994 Criminal Justice Act. Aggravated trespass takes place when the trespasser trespasses to disrupt or attempt to disrupt any lawful activity taking place on that property or adjoining property - brought in to tackle hunt sabs and road protestors.