Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Eyeliner - Sorry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi
Sorry this has probably been posted or simliar before.
I can't put eyeliner on to save myself make a right dogs ear of it! And I dunno if it looks ok or not
Can you please look at the pic and tell me please?! and any tips woudl be greatful and what eyeliners are good etc
Thanks!!!
I know I'll get honest good advice from you all! ;)
Eye.JPG 227.9K

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Did you put it inside your eyelashes? I've always heard you are not supposed to do that, can cause infection, and it wears off real quick from it being moist there. Just think, its a foreign product your putting pretty much directly onto your eye. Not pretty sounding :\ I'd much rather put some unwashed fingers in my eye. But thats just me ;)

I use this I find hard pencils to be hard to put on, and I like the smudger thing on the end, helps when I make mistakes (often ;))

And on a personal taste note, when it comes to colors, blue looks 80's and black looks tacky and trashy on white people.
    i put it inside my eyelashes.

i think you could do with a bit of mascara on the bottom lashes.
    I put it on the inside of my eyelashes.

Didn't realise you were not supposed to do it?
    Even online, every place talking how to apply makes a comment on it.

here :)

What about applying eyeliner in the rim of the eye? There are many reasons why this is not a good idea. The first is that this kind of application smears in a very short period of time and creates goopy dark specks in the eye. Applying any makeup that is destined to smear in less than an hour or two is not a good idea. Pencil applied along the rim of the eye usually causes the area to become irritated; after all you are putting a foreign substance next to the mucous membrane of your eye. I am equally concerned about the health of the eye area when this technique is used. While there are no studies indicating there are any risks associated with pencil being applied to the rim of the eye, it seems problematic to put cosmetic ingredients (that include coloring agents and preservatives) that close to the eye.
    http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=MAKEUP&ID=42

Warnings:
    Lining the inside of the lower lid is not recommended'it may cause eye infections, and it greatly increases the risk of getting makeup in your eye.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_157_apply-eyeliner.html

I'd never actually seen anybody wear it on the insde until recently so the thought never crossed my mind, but if you just think about it, its make up, which if its been used more than once is not all that hygenic, in a very sensitive area. Like an unwashed contact.

Not to mentio your tear duct is right there, thats a pussy accident waiting to happen.

But each to their own, I'm just bored so I felt like looking stuff up :p Ignore my ramblyness.
    I put eyeliner on the inside of my lids when I'm going out out and have never had any trouble. Apart from you do have to keep putting it on cause it slides off.

It probably isn't the most hygenic thing, but it's not good for you to be too clean. That's why people have allergies :p

In the picture I can't even see where you've put it, which is a good sign. Subtle is always better if you're not sure what you're really doing!
    If you going for a subtle look then you have it spot on. A good pencil to use is the rimmel khol ones, but they are buggers to get off.
    I always put it on the inside of my eye. Looks like a goff if ya put it on the outside, unless it's liquid liner and you KNOW how to put it on. :razz:
    I must be missing something, how does this or this look goth?
    my_name wrote:
    I must be missing something, how does this

Eye mascara. :)
    my_name wrote:
    or this look goth?

Fake lashes. :)
    1983 wrote:
    Eye mascara. :)

Fake lashes. :)

Ok... but

I asked how does it look gothic? Not what about them are fake.
    my_name wrote:
    Ok... but

I asked how does it look gothic? Not what about them are fake.

Anyone I've encountered who wear thick eyeliner on the outside is all gothic and such.
    Oh, I get you now. I wasn't even thinking of it thick. Yeah, eww, I agree there. But at least nobody over 15 cakes it on anymore. :heart: the smudging pencils.
    that looks like a bottle of gordons gin in the background
    1983 wrote:
    I always put it on the inside of my eye. Looks like a goff if ya put it on the outside, unless it's liquid liner and you KNOW how to put it on. :razz:

I agree. I put it on the inside. Used to put it on the outside and ended up looking like a skanked up goff who didn't know how to apply it properly. Now I just look like a skanked up normal person who can apply it nearly properly.
    Rachael wrote:
    I agree. I put it on the inside. Used to put it on the outside and ended up looking like a skanked up goff who didn't know how to apply it properly. Now I just look like a skanked up normal person who can apply it nearly properly.
    Hehe same here.
    my_name wrote:
    :heart: the smudging pencils.

Ah yeah, I have an Urban Decay one :D
    I apply it on the inside. When we did our make up at college, we were taught how to do it on the outside properly - but thats on other people. I'm much better at looking after other people's faces than I am my own :) So I wear it on the inside, unless I'm wearing liquid liner (obviously)

We were taught as well to put it on the inside if thats the look we wanted, instead of the outside, but you are actually supposed to sharpen your eyeliner after every use on your eye (e.g use it on one eye, sharpen it, use it on the othe reye, sharpen it, put away for next time) because that removes any risk of infection. I know very few people who actually do that though :)
    my_name wrote:
    I must be missing something, how does this or this look goth?
    eugh someone needs to pluck their eyebrows!

on a normal day i apply my eyeliner very subtly and i put it around the outside but as close to the eyelashes as i can get. when i'm going out i put it on the inside.
    thanks for all your replies, I think I'll just stick and do nothing much easier!!
    lipsy wrote:

on a normal day i apply my eyeliner very subtly and i put it around the outside but as close to the eyelashes as i can get. when i'm going out i put it on the inside.

Yeah same here, the only annoying thing about putting it on the inside is the way it all slides to the corner of your eye and you have to keep re-applying it.

I think it looks awful when people JUST apply it to the inside though, like a really harsh line. You should always keep sort of where the lashes come out.
    I can do liquid eyeliner on the top pretty easy, because ive had so much practive I can do it in about one second flat on each eye

Check me out ;)
    Char_Baby wrote:
    I can do liquid eyeliner on the top pretty easy, because ive had so much practive I can do it in about one second flat on each eye

Check me out ;)
    Speed pretty much comes with practise. When I have to get up and get out in the mornings, my 'quick makeup face' is always liquid eyeliner. Some people find it amazing that I find liquid easier/quicker to use than pencil. I think it's definitely about practise. (I've also found that buying cheap makeup esp liquid eyeliner, can add minutes onto your routine.)
    Speed pretty much comes with practise. When I have to get up and get out in the mornings, my 'quick makeup face' is always liquid eyeliner. Some people find it amazing that I find liquid easier/quicker to use than pencil. I think it's definitely about practise. (I've also found that buying cheap makeup esp liquid eyeliner, can add minutes onto your routine.)
    Yeah totally, the liquid ones with the fine brushes are about 100 times easier and less messy then the spongey type ones.

I find pencil a bit tricky, obviously I can apply it but i have to blunt the end so it actually turns out nice.