Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

simple exercise question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
ive started doing some simple exercises at home every other day, such as pushups, situps, and using weights to do bicep curls and lateral raises.

ive always played footy and rode a bike regulary, so fitness isn't the issue. im just trying to get a bit stronger.

ive been lifting these weights one arm at a time, but i'm wondering if i should be exercising both arms together. anyone know?

also, how many repetitions should i do of these exercises? i know how many pressups i can do before i have to stop, but should i stick to an amount every time?

thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If your trying to add maximum strength, then you should be using heavy weights.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    If your trying to add maximum strength, then you should be using heavy weights.
    Yup, heavy weights and less repetitions
  • Options
    Strength doesnt need to come from lifting heavy weights. size would come from using them, along with some strength granted. try using more bodyweight exercises like pushups, squats etc. pound for pound probably the strongest athletes in the world are gymnasts and there routines are made up primarily of core body weight exercises. use the weights also, they obviously do build you strength to a certain degree too. but dont go too heavy, thats how injuries happen.
  • Options
    Yup, heavy weights and less repetitions
    Isn't that size? and not necessarily strength?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Isn't that size? and not necessarily strength?
    If you pick a weight that you can only fo 2 repetitions with, after a while you will be able to do more repetitions with that same weight. So to me that is making you stronger, bigger aswell but definately stronger.
  • Options
    Wouldn't you get stronger faster doing many reps of a lower weight?
  • Options
    Depends on whether you want to be really strong for something specific. Take boxing or any kind of combat sport. Generally big ,thick muscled guys are strong and a real handful for a short period of the fight and then burn out really quick. Leaner fighters tend to carry their strength and stamina into the later rounds but may not be as physically strong as a bigger guy to begin with.
  • Options
    so er........should be exercising both arms together, as opposed to one after the other?

also, should i exercise until i have to stop, or should i stick to an certain amount every time?

thanks ;)
  • Options
    Whether or not you "should" be using one arm or two depends entirely on what exercise you're doing and what you're trying to achieve with it.

Also you should stick to a certain amount of exercises. Say 3 sets, one of 15, one 12 and one 10.