Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

contraception & STIs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Posting this thread makes me feel quite silly, but here we go:

Basically I'm in my first relationship (and if you look at some of the 'virgin' threads, you'll know that I'm not that young either), I know quite a bit about contraception at a technical level, but have no idea about how things work in real life.

Say there is this girl that I may sleep with, is it enough for us to use a condom to prevent pregnancy and evil STIs? I appreciate that I could get lice or some thing, but nothing drastic right?

Also, I dont mean to sound childish, but if I'm honest, the fact that she's had other partners does freak me out a tiny bit. Not in the sense that she's not a virgin (thats totally cool with me), but in the sense that I dont want catch something. How do I go abouts resolving this issue?

Comments

• Options
    You can catch things like lice still, and always be aware that you can catch things like herpes and gonorrhea from oral sex as well as penetration.

A condom will prevent pregnancies and STIs if rolled on correctly and if it doesn't fail. If you put it on right it is very very unlikely to fail- I think I've had one condom fail on me, ever. Other forms of contraception (such as the pill or implant) will prevent pregnancy but, of course, will not prevent STIs.

The fact that she has had other partners shouldn't freak you out unless you simply don't trust her. You'd know if she had lice, and whilst they are annoying, they aren't gonna kill you. As for any other nasty thing, using a condom will protect you.

Don't have sex without a condom until you know that she is clean, though, that's just common sense.
  • Options
    I really do trust her, if we add that her last relationship was something like 2 years - it all reinforces that she not the kind to sleep around.

I'm very comfortable with her past and to a degree the pregnancy issue.

The only thing that is troubling me is the whole STI issue.

Ever since school, its been drummed into me that if you have sex, you could end up with some thing or another. So from the age of about 11 to now 23 I've been worried about STI's even though I wasn't having sex. Now obviously this has had some weird effect on my mind.

So would it be normal to ask her to get tested (if and when it comes time to ditch the rubber?)
  • Options
    If you know she's clean then you have nothing to worry about.

If you are sensible and use protection then you have nothing to worry about.

Depending on how long you've been together, you could broach the subject of you both spending a fun-filled day at your local family planning clinic, but that's a choice you'd need to make as we don't know her and don't know what her reaction would be.

Condoms used properly have a 99% success rate. If you know how to put one on properly (you roll them down and hold the teat to squeeze the air out) then you'll be right.
  • Options
    This might sound like I'm being patronising, but I'm honestly unsure about some of your last post.

"If you know she's clean then you have nothing to worry about"

Are you implying that I should not be all that worried since shes not the kind to sleep around?
  • Options
    Yeah, basically.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Condoms used properly have a 99% success rate. If you know how to put one on properly (you roll them down and hold the teat to squeeze the air out) then you'll be right.
    :yes:
    tho. if you are that freaked out about the whole STD issue why not get tested at your local gum clinic - at least then that will put your mind at ease.
    if you do you should both get tested (even tho. i know you're a virgin) just so it doesn't feel all one sided.
    tbh tho. using a condom, you should be okay. its the best protection for STDs avaliable. :yes:
  • Options
    I can only speak for myself in thinking that testing before sleeping with a new partner is sensible. I would not find it offensive in the least if a new parnter suggested we both get tested before having sex. It is not simply an issue of trust either as one could have something without knowing it. I agree with the both getting tested idea (even though you are a virgin) just so that it seems more like a health precaution than an accusation...
  • Options
    Just for my information how does the testing work?

Do we each get an appointment, get tested and then tell each other the results rights?
  • Options
    Thats the one.

To be perfectly honest while your planning on using condoms you don't really need to get tested. Realistically your not any more likely to catch anything that way than you are to pick up some other evil disease or virus going aroud some other way.

Take reasonable precautions (condoms) and enjoy yourself. If you get to the point where you want to use another form of contraceptive then get tested then.
  • Options
    Just for my information how does the testing work?
    you get swabbed and you give blood.