Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alcohol Licensing Laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If a shop does not have a sign above the door saying who the licencee (to sell alcohol) is, is that breaking the law?

Comments

• Options
    i think so. I'm sure that if somewhere sells alcohol they have to have the name abovethe door.

Why, if I may ask?
  • Options
    If a shop does not have a sign above the door saying who the licencee (to sell alcohol) is, is that breaking the law?
    I think they could be, I am not sure though. I think if they did have a license they would present it on show.
  • Options
    Because the shop I work in at the moment doesn't have one and I'm pretty sure the manager hasn't done a licensing course.
  • Options
    My other half is a licence holder and he has just said that it is no longer a legal requirement to have the plaque above the door, as long as the premises does have a licence holder. There must also be a licence on duty for the entire time the shop is open, otherwise they are breaking the law. Is anyone in the store a licence holder?
  • Options
    AFAIK there is only one licence holder now, and she doesn't work all hours. I don't think the manager is a licence holder.

Thanks for that snapping crocodile :thumb:
  • Options
    http://www.culture.gov.uk/alcohol_and_entertainment/licensing_act_2003/premises_licences.htm

What is a designated premises supervisor (DPS)?

A designated premises supervisor (DPS) is the person identified as such for a particular premises who is named on the premises licence. Any premises where alcohol is supplied under a premises licence must have a DPS. They will be named in the operating schedule for any premises with a premises licence. The DPS will not necessarily be the premises licence holder, although this may sometimes be the case. It is expected that they will be the point of contact for the premises at all times for licensing authorities, or the police or fire services if problems occur at the premises.

Any application for a premises licence must also include a form of consent given by the individual whom the applicant wishes to have specified in the premises licence as the DPS. The DPS consent form is available separately.

Does the designated premises supervisor (DPS) have to be on the premises at all times when alcohol is being sold?

No, in some cases this will not physically be possible. However, it will be expected that the DPS will spend a significant amount of time on the premises. What will be essential is that the DPS is contactable, particularly should problems arise with the premises.

The Department has written to the Association of Convenience Stores on authorising sales of alcohol
  • Options
    AFAIK there is only one licence holder now, and she doesn't work all hours. I don't think the manager is a licence holder.

Thanks for that snapping crocodile :thumb:

No problems :D

My boyfriend has also said that if trading standards do a spot check and here is no licence holder on duty, the store, and the person in charge of the store at the time of the spot check will receive a fine of up to £20,000 :shocking:
  • Options
    No problems :D

My boyfriend has also said that if trading standards do a spot check and here is no licence holder on duty, the store, and the person in charge of the store at the time of the spot check will receive a fine of up to £20,000 :shocking:

you can only be fine up to the maximum of £20,000 if you are the person who is meant to be in charge of the store at the time

not the person who might actually be left in charge to run things on that particular day