Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Owie leg

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been working out quite regularly for a bit now and for about the last month or so my leg hurts when I work on my legs. I do different muscle groups each time so theres always a good amount of days inbetween the times I work out my legs.

However when the days for my legs do come around I get a real bad pain in my lower hamstring afterwards. It lasts probably 3 days or so. I've even let it go a bit over a week of leg rest, thinking I just pulled or strained something and it just needed some rest, and the next time I worked out, it hurt again.

Any ideas on how to cure this? I stretch before and stretch real good after and always warm up and cool down.

I tried to make Ed massage it one night and I don't think I've ever been in so much pain!

And its hardly like I overwork, when I do work out I'm such a slacker :p

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds like overtraining to me. Whats your routine? Are you training to failure?

Also a little tip, stretching will weaken the muscle if done prior workout. Just do a couple of light warm up sets.
    Oh no, I'm not trying to bulk up or anything. I just do 3 sets of 10 of a weight that I can do, but is a little heavy, but if I cannot finish the 3 sets in full I go to a lighter weight. I only do three machines in a day too. More of an underworking if anything :p

Lemme ask you, you seem all smart on the workout stuff, I'll walk for about 25 minutes, then just stretch out the calves and legs a bit, I'm a sucker for getting sore after, then I do my stretching at the end, is that too much?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Ibuprofen is a good one for muscle ache. Try that.

However, are you warming up properly before starting? It could be that. I get like that if I don't warm up the muscles before activity.
    my_name wrote:
    Oh no, I'm not trying to bulk up or anything. I just do 3 sets of 10 of a weight that I can do, but is a little heavy, but if I cannot finish the 3 sets in full I go to a lighter weight. I only do three machines in a day too. More of an underworking if anything :p

Lemme ask you, you seem all smart on the workout stuff, I'll walk for about 25 minutes, then just stretch out the calves and legs a bit, I'm a sucker for getting sore after, then I do my stretching at the end, is that too much?
    How may times a week do you train legs? Also training to failure basically mean training until you cant complete another rep, which will tax you CNS heavily. Is this what your doing? Can you name the exercises imperticular?

Stretching the muscle after walking is alright. Usually the case in which I fell in is that I was stretching to hard, & this was making me ache.
    HIT wrote:
    How may times a week do you train legs? Also training to failure basically mean training until you cant complete another rep, which will tax you CNS heavily. Is this what your doing? Can you name the exercises imperticular?

Stretching the muscle after walking is alright. Usually the case in which I fell in is that I was stretching to hard, & this was making me ache.

I only do legs about once a week. I don't do it till failure, I do 3 sets of 10 at a weight that I can complete all 3 full sets at. I mix and match the exercses, doing only 3 at a time though. Last time (Thursday) I did the machine that targets the hamstrings, one that does the quads and one for my butt. But it changes, like maybe next time I'll probably do the one for the hips, (couldn't tell you those names to save my life) some calfs and some deadlifts, it changes.
    my_name wrote:
    I only do legs about once a week. I don't do it till failure, I do 3 sets of 10 at a weight that I can complete all 3 full sets at. I mix and match the exercses, doing only 3 at a time though. Last time (Thursday) I did the machine that targets the hamstrings, one that does the quads and one for my butt. But it changes, like maybe next time I'll probably do the one for the hips, (couldn't tell you those names to save my life) some calfs and some deadlifts, it changes.
    You say its lower hamstrings, is the area just above the knee? I found when I used to direct hamstring training like leg curls I was using to faster reps, rather than a deliberate rep, I would jolt the weight.

Also deadlifts could be another factor. I think if I was you I wouldn't train legs for a while just to let them recover. But saying that how much aerobic activity do you so? Running etc. can have the same effect.
    You are correct, its right above the knee. How long would you suggest resting them? I'm sure its not my aerobic thats too straining, I pretty much stroll for that 25 minutes. I can't walk much faster than only 3.5 :grump: stupidness, I think I've only got half a heart or something :p.

Thank you very much :D
    I wouldnt train that bodypart for another week.