Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Black & White

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If someone asked you to describe what

a. What a White person is

b. What a Black Person is

Who would you phrase it? .. I think it's funny we use colours to describe people ... so I'd like to see how people define black and white.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Generally the darkest skinned people are called "black" and the palest "white". But in the between, it's not so easy to define. I knew people whose skin was pretty dark but you couldn't call them black. And I saw John Beasly in "Everwood", and if someone hadn't mentioned it there I wouldn't have known he's "black".
  • Options
    I don't there is much to describe them, just as there wouldn't be much to say about people with brown hair and people with blonde hair.
  • Options
    Unless you are giving a description of some ones appearance to some else, say the police investigating a crime, what does it matter what colour someone is? Unless you or the police or someone is looking specifically for some one in which case describing their skin colour becomes important, then whats the point?
  • Options
    I use it as a description. I work in a very multicultured place and its how I describe people to others. A new woman just started so I just went thru it again. Who is Keith? Hes the black guy who works in purchasing (hes the only black guy, so no other description is needed really, if you can describe one person in one factor so its the easiest) Who is Yuri? Shes the Phillipeano in C-boxes with the short graying hair. She is now found quickly. This person is the Indian pharmacist with her hair tied back, this one is also the indian pharmicist, but she has long straight hair. I'd be the white chick that works up front. Yay, now everybody knows who everybody is, by describing obvious traits, color being one of them. Thats how I use it anyways.
  • Options
    i think white people should be called coloured.
    cos they come in every possible shade ...eyes hair complexion ...all colours.
  • Options
    i think white people should be called coloured.
    cos they come in every possible shade ...eyes hair complexion ...all colours.

Yeah.

And EVERYONE is a different colour to everyone else.
  • Options
    depends on the concentration of melanin in the skin....

it depends on the person really and if it would be there without sun exposure and certain physcial features on the whole there is no specific definition though, which is why other than for a brief description of someone, it's quite a useless label to give - theres people with 'black' features and pale skin, and people with white features and 'black skin' and then theres the huge variety in between....

my sister's black only because she spends half her spare time in a uv machine lol hahahaha

something random that just came in from wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Map_of_skin_hue_equi.png