Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Halls? Thanks, but no thanks

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I feel as if I'm causing nothing but inconvenience and hassle to everyone just writing about this subject. I've written countless times about my worries about university. This is just another one of those, but not quite the same tack as previously. For the record, I'm still going ahead in September as planned. I'm absolutely terrified, but I'll still be doing it.

However, over the last few days, there have been some issues regarding accommodation. Back around the 12th of this month, I got some mail from UWE, telling me what room they'd offered. I was going to be in a halls filled mostly with international and postgraduate students. Internationals, I've no problem with, but I was uneasy about living with postgraduates at best. Anyway, there was a contract to fill in, some paperwork and such. I've done all that.

I'm not going to go into full details about what happened this week, mainly because they're completely irrelevant to what I'm going to ask later. Essentially, it boils down to one thing. I won't be going to live in halls of residence in September. Before anyone asks, I've already checked, and it isn't possible for me to go and live in a different halls of residence. I'll now be living in student housing from day one, most probably, it's something I intend to sort out as soon as possible.

This is my question. I've heard friends and people from here talking about halls of residence being part of their university "experience", as they insist on calling it. Is the fact I won't be going into halls beneficial or detrimental? That is, is it going to have a huge effect on the way my time at university pans out? Or does it simply mean I'll be living in a slightly different way to most first-year students?

EDIT: Just to point out that I don't yet know at the time of writing whether I'll be living in private sector accommodation or student housing through the university. That's something that's being sorted.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Is the student housing through the university?

I stayed in a university controlled flat and loved it. My flatmates from there were my flatmates most of the way through uni and we still keep in touch now.

Halls aren't for everyone. I was a bit of a fussy eater and didn't like the idea of them cooking my meals, shared bathrooms with the whole floor and all that other stuff.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    eta: no point in bothering. :)
  • Options
    Is the student housing through the university? I stayed in a university controlled flat and loved it. My flatmates from there were my flatmates most of the way through uni and we still keep in touch now.
    Well, that's the thing. I don't know yet. The fact that I wouldn't have a place in halls only became apparent early yesterday, and as such, I haven't yet found another place to live. That's something I'm getting on with now, and hope to sort out as soon as possible.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This is my question. I've heard friends and people from here talking about halls of residence being part of their university "experience", as they insist on calling it. Is the fact I won't be going into halls beneficial or detrimental? That is, is it going to have a huge effect on the way my time at university pans out? Or does it simply mean I'll be living in a slightly different way to most first-year students?

Not necessarily a bad thing, just maybe means you might have to make more of a concious effort to make mates through your course or otherwise, in halls they do sort of fall into your lap and you try and get on best you can.

So long as you stay pro-active about it, then things should still be fantastic.

The only thing I liked about my time at uni was the halls, and the social side of it. Arriving the first night and meeting these other random people, till hitting plastic ketchup bottles round the common room with a baseball bat on the last night, absolutely legendary time.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Not necessarily a bad thing, just maybe means you might have to make more of a concious effort to make mates through your course or otherwise, in halls they do sort of fall into your lap and you try and get on best you can. So long as you stay pro-active about it, then things should still be fantastic.
    In my case, it might be a sort of necessary evil. I'm still none too good in social situations, so if I want to make friends away from home, I'll have to be more pro-active. Either that, or have three very lonely years.
  • Options
    well if you would have been living in halls with a load of international students and post grads then you wouldn't even be getting the same experience as normal halls anyway. why did they try to put you there?

you will just have to make a real effort with people on your course because most people meet their friends at their halls. however it shouldnt affect you too much.. especially if you move into a student house instead.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    well if you would have been living in halls with a load of international students and post grads then you wouldn't even be getting the same experience as normal halls anyway. why did they try to put you there?
    Presumably they thought the fact that I'm 21 years old would mean I'd apparently fit in better with postgraduates. It's not a theory I entirely understand. I can't see what exactly I have in common with postgraduate students other than possibly age.
  • Options
    Halls aren't all they're cracked up to be. Due to circumstances, I'm going back in them for year 2 of my degree but they're certainly not fun if you like peace and quiet. I would regularly be woken in the early hours and might not be able to sleep again for the whole night.

Housing sounds more secure. Halls may be more "fun" but the baggage that comes with them outweigh the good.
  • Options
    must be proper shit living in halls as a postgrad
  • Options
    At the moment, I'm looking around something called UNITE to see different places. I'm not completely sure what I'm meant to be doing or how the process works, to be perfectly honest. I'll work it out one way or another.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    It depends on your outlook. In Halls you are all thrown into the same situation and there is plenty of friends and stuff to be made. I wouldn't be a fan of flats tbh, its a smaller group and it might be more difficult to make friends outside the group.

UNITE are good, they have some brilliant accomodation in Huddersfield - they may be worth looking at.

Personally I lived in halls this year and loved it so much I'm staying in Halls again this year.
  • Options
    At my first uni i was in halls and loved it just because there were so many people around and there was always something going on but i did actually make most of my best friends through my course- possibly because we were basically in uni 9-5 every day so we spent a lot of time together!

when i moved unis, i was too late to get a place in halls so i went to a mixing day thing and found a group of people to share a student house with, and it's worked out just as well. obviously i met less people than i would have done through halls, but ive made some great friends through my course and just through randomly bumping into people on nights out!

at my uni there seems to be as many people that live in houses as there are that live in halls. i dont really think it makes a difference- in either situation you're going to have to make and effort and what you put in, you'll get out.
  • Options
    http://www.unite-students.com/ACCOMMODATION.information/Bristol/default.html

Have a look. I stayed in unite private halls for my first year.
  • Options
    if you believe all you read, then, everyone rates halls as an essential part of a university 1st year experience. i think as a general rule halls are very noisy, dirty (nobody in halls is ever clean - esp. if you are sharing bathroom/kitchen facilities with upto 10 other people), they are very metropolitan places. if you're into really late night parties, and first time away from home raving experiences then halls will be like a heaven to you. halls are an experience in themselves. it won't be the halls you remember at the end of your time, its more likely to be the night you had down the union, etc. although halls ofetn do arrange events throughout the year. - which yuo can do anyway and tailor more to your interests if you join a club/society at uni during your freshers week. of course, if you live close by the uni, but not in halls, then you can still have all the fun of nights down the union, etc, without all the crap that goes along with living with a load of totally different / don't fit together very well - people. if you are in a house too, you're a lot more likely to get on well with and get to know the people you are living with.
  • Options
    I loved halls because I met so many different people and had great craic partying, but, no offence SG, you don't seem like an outgoing person who particularly wants to get out there and meet new people so I don't think it's that bad.
  • Options
    You'll make the most of whatever you've got, and you'll wonder how anyone lives any other way.

I loved halls last year, but there's been some admin fuck up at the uni I'm off to in September, and I dunno if my accommodation application was processed, so I might wind up in a house or something. At the moment I'm gutted, cos I loved halls so much, but I know once I get there it'll be fine.

Your university experience is completely and totally what you make of it. You're not gonna have a load of new best mates fall into your lap purely because you're in halls, and you're not gonna be stuck with no mates and no social life just because you're in a house.

Seems really odd that they'd put you with internationals and postgrads, makes no sense to me!
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Seems really odd that they'd put you with internationals and postgrads, makes no sense to me!
    usually tho they save the "best" of the accomodation avaliable for international students. :yes:
    postgrad students usually have to sign a longer 52 week tenancy aswell, rather than the standard 38 weeks or whatever it is for undergrads.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    usually tho they save the "best" of the accomodation avaliable for international students. :yes:
    postgrad students usually have to sign a longer 52 week tenancy aswell, rather than the standard 38 weeks or whatever it is for undergrads.

Fair enough, but from a social aspect it seems really odd.

That said, I always found it really odd to put all the international students together as well, rather than mixing with British students.
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    always found it really odd to put all the international students together as well, rather than mixing with British students.

i suppose the universities think internationals have more in common with each other, all being in a new country, etc etc etc and they arn't expected to home during holidays so are put in halls together, possibly just to save from having a lot of lonley students around the holiday periods - although it does defeat the idea of intergration.
  • Options
    SG the other thing to say is a few weeks into term and universities ALWAYS have spare rooms avaliable in different halls. some people don't turn up. some people quit. etc etc etc - so, if you did want to live in a different HoR ask a few weeks in or ask to be put on a waiting list for cancellations - your accomodation office will have a list i'm sure.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I stayed with Unite for my first year, and a couple of mates stayed all the way through.
    I loved it, tad on the dear side, but i met some of my best mates there, so in my opinon, worth every penny!
    much better quality that halls anyways, and the staff were lovely...inc the little caretaker man, who knew me so well as i kept breaking everything!
    i would definately recommend unite, go for it!:thumb:
  • Options
    halls arn't that great. people always slamming their bedroom doors (fire doors) at 5am in the morning was my main complaint. i did two years in halls for UWE. one at glenside and one in the city centre, both flew by and yes you will probably miss out on meeting people where they're most comfortable, but it's very easy to meet people at UWE they have lots of established clubs and societies and you get to know a few faces very quickly.
  • Options
    I fucking loved halls but I guess it's not for everyone. But don't write it off immediately.
  • Options
    im not stopping in halls either mate and i dont think im missing out really. ive already got shit load of mates and ive done the whole party non stop thing so it wouldnt really be that great for me - would just be getting myself into more debt (going to be living at home).
    I can see why people would want to however - conveniance mostly. A lot of the people i went to college with that decided to continue on to uni didnt really have any friends outsdie the college so i can see why they are desperate to go into halls and make friends but like i say, not really for me either.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I loved halls because I met so many different people and had great craic partying, but, no offence SG, you don't seem like an outgoing person who particularly wants to get out there and meet new people so I don't think it's that bad.
    Er, well... I'm not sure what to say in reply to this. On the one hand, you've made a very fair assessment of my character which I can't dispute with. But on the other, part of my reasons for going to university is to try and get out of this mindset.
    http://www.unite-students.com/ACCOMMODATION.information/Bristol/default.html
    Have a look. I stayed in unite private halls for my first year.
    It looks good so far. Didn't anticipate a stay in the city centre at Bristol, but I wouldn't complain if I ended up there.
  • Options
    I think student housing usually have a load of student houses who are looking for an extra person in their house. My friend didn't get into halls last year and did this and she ended up with really nice people and had an awesome time. I guess its potluck but don't be down about it. Personally I didn't think halls were that great, it was a laugh and stuff but I would have enjoyed it more if I was 15, not 20.