Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Skipped period (different issue)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have read Ballerina's qu but it's a different issue so didn't wanna thread-jack.

I haven't had a period since May, which isn't that long I guess but it's very weird for me. Is it likely to be because of my eating problems? They've been getting worse but I'm nowhere near light enough for them to have stopped from that.

I guess I'm just a bit worried - I probably will go to my GP about it.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know what eating problems you have but if it is you not eating enough then it is possible that is why yes. But like you said, you should go see your doc about it.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    I haven't had a period since May, which isn't that long I guess but it's very weird for me. Is it likely to be because of my eating problems? They've been getting worse but I'm nowhere near light enough for them to have stopped from that.

I guess I'm just a bit worried - I probably will go to my GP about it.

kate you can lose your period or the regularity of them from changing your diet, not eating enough and making yourself sick.

it's a good idea to go to your doc to check that there isn't another problem but it's likely to be linked with your eating.

signs & symptoms of eating disorders according to somethingfishy.org
  • Options
    It doesn't matter how light you are, if your body is stressed out (like having erratic eating habits and making yourself sick) it can have a bit of a crisis and start diverting attention away from all its non-essential functions. Like your reproductive system.

You should definitely see your GP. :yes:
  • Options
    if your eating habits have changed recently, then yes, i would guess that that is the reason for no periods.
    im much the same in that i have drastically changed my eating habits lately and have not had a period since about may too :chin:

i asked my mum and step-dad about it a while ago (mum is nurse and step-dad is a GP) and they both said that it isnt really something to worry about (if it IS food related - which they said it probably was) sooner or later when your diet 'stabilises' then the periods should come back - if lighter than usual.
    although i would also definately recommend visiting your GP just to be on the safe side :)
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:
    if your eating habits have changed recently, then yes, i would guess that that is the reason for no periods.
    im much the same in that i have drastically changed my eating habits lately and have not had a period since about may too :chin:

i asked my mum and step-dad about it a while ago (mum is nurse and step-dad is a GP) and they both said that it isnt really something to worry about (if it IS food related - which they said it probably was) sooner or later when your diet 'stabilises' then the periods should come back - if lighter than usual.
    although i would also definately recommend visiting your GP just to be on the safe side :)

Erm, I think it -IS- something to worry about.

If you're not eating properly (I.E A balanced diet, consisting of fats, protein, carbs AND vitamins and minerals) then your body is obviously going to start doing weird things.

It's the most likely reason that your periods will have stopped, but there is also the stress of having eating problems.

See your GP before your problems get any worse...
  • Options
    I might be wrong but don't you also have a thyroid problem? Lack of periods and hair loss can be symptoms of both food and/or thyroid so... def get checked.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I might be wrong but don't you also have a thyroid problem? Lack of periods and hair loss can be symptoms of both food and/or thyroid so... def get checked.
    They ran a second blood test about the thyroid, but no one's contacted me about the results. Thanks for reminding me! Guess I gotta go anyway, then.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    eating problems like annorexia or bulimia do cause irregular periods so yes it could be that. :yes: