Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bush vetoes US bill on stem cell research

Just when you thought the man couldn't be any more of a cunt...
Bush 'out of touch' on stem cells

Scientists have reacted with anger to US President George W Bush's decision to veto a bill allowing federal funding for new embryonic stem cell research.

They argue it will damage a promising field of medical research.

Leading researchers labelled Mr Bush "hypocritical", "out of touch" and "selfish" over his decision not to sign into law a bill approved by Congress.

Mr Bush argued that the law "crossed a moral boundary that our decent society needs to respect".

Polls suggest most Americans back the research, which scientists hope will lead to cures for serious illnesses such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and diabetes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5197926.stm

If there was any karma in the world Bush would contract Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and diabetes all at once.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep, but unfortunatly there is no Karma...
    Or if there is any, it is the wrong kind of Karma...
  • Options
    not to worry ...american laborities are all over the world ...meaning the stem cell research will go ahead but outside of american law.
    to much money to be made and bush knows it.
    posturing but it may well backfire on him.
  • Options
    His position on this has always been very interesting, Texas Tech has the largest store of stem cells in the US.

In fact many thought his earlier restrictions on stem cell research were largely to help Texas Tech.
  • Options
    not to worry ...american laborities are all over the world ...meaning the stem cell research will go ahead but outside of american law.

stem cell research will still go ahead in America without federal funding.
  • Options
    I read about it, interestingly enough, it's his first veto, compared to clinton on 38 and reagan (?) on 635.
  • Options
    Bloody hell. I didn't know Clinton and Reagan used it so often.

In a way it's more the pity. Bush clearly regards Presidential intervention as not something that should be used as a commodity. Of all the issues he could have used the right of veto for... Especially considering that the majority of Americans are actually in favour of it.
  • Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/germany/article/0,,1825412,00.html

excellent. could be less potential crowding out of private finance for this type of research.
  • Options
    What did everyone expect once superman died!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What a dickstain! Fucking Bush. I hope he getss of Alzhiemers.... if he hasn't already! Fuck, I bet even Regan would have passed it... he knew what it was like!

I hate that wanker now even more. Fucks sake, he's holding back critical research. Gah, boils my blood.
  • Options
    Man votes in line with his principles and we condemn him?

Sorry but that's wrong.

Condemn his principles, yes, but not the fact that he's willing to back them up with his actions.
  • Options
    He didn't 'vote'. He exercised the right of veto against the certified wishes of the Senate and by the sounds of it of the majority of the country.

Because he could. For selfish reasons. And everyone can fuck themselves.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    He didn't 'vote'. He exercised the right of veto against the certified wishes of the Senate and by the sounds of it of the majority of the country.

Well it's the system to blame really. Of course anyone with common sense could say "most of the country disagrees with me so I won't use it," but then when has any politician given a shit about what the voters think? Can someone tell me what the reason is for veto's in general? Surely that goes against the whole principle of democratic voting?
  • Options
    I sometimes get the feeling if Bush hadn't vetoed it there be screams on here for him to resign because he's killing babies.

Since 2001 he's only used Presidential veto once, which hardly squares with the image of a man going against democracy.
  • Options
    I don't think you'd get many people here at all saying that mate. Hell, even the Americans themselves, which are a tad more conservative on the whole, were actually in favour of the bill.
  • Options
    Sorry, why is one man allowed to overrule the opinion of the majority again?
  • Options
    Sorry, why is one man allowed to overrule the opinion of the majority again?

Because he was voted in by more than any one of them. You have to remember that the US system is differne tot our and he was elected by the voters...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

What is a veto, if not his vote? His just carried more weight.

Not quite true. Stem Cell research will continue, but without State funding so no "go fuck yourself" there.

And yes, it's for selfish reasons. Becuase his conscience says it is wrong. Not a bad excuse.

Would you have vetoed Patriot Act, even though it was passed by both houses? I would, because my conscience says it's a poor law.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Well, the thing is it is his only veto, roosevelt is the only president who used fewer, on 0. His own dad used it sixty something times during his term.

Clearly, however much you don't like it, Bush clearly feels like he's protecting his country.

Though, I did read a quote that it was "A moral boundary our decent nation shouldn't cross, so I vetoed it" (or something similar) which I found amusing considering what they've been up to.
  • Options
    he was elected by the voters...
    :lol::p
  • Options
    Man of Kent's words summed up how I feel
  • Options
    :lol::p

I was thinking the same thing...
  • Options
    He's a cunt.

For someone who claims to care so much for the sanctity of human life (abortion, stem cell research) he certainly has a funny way of showing it (countless execuitions approved as Texas governor, 100,000s killed in his Imperialistic illegal wars...).

If there was a God I wonder what he would make of it all...
  • Options
    Matthew Chapter 7, that's what he would (and will) make of it. ;)
  • Options
    What I love the most is this...
    Mr Bush summed up his opposition to the bill on ethical grounds. "This bill would support the taking of innocent human life of the hope of finding medical benefits for others," he said.

:lol::lol::lol:

The guy doesn't want inoncent life to die... With what he did in Iran and the support they give to Israel... That's just so fucking funny, in a sad way, for him to say that...