Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

FAO those who think Israel's actions have been justified & proportioned

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Matadore - is this an appropriate response?

1.jpg

or this?

2.jpg

what about this?

7.jpg

or this?

6.jpg
  • Options
    By showing the pictures this turns into a propaganda thread, and people who are not informed enough about the geopolitical issues of the area can be easily swayed into having an opinion that might or might not be an educated one.

Oh fuck that, show the pictures...it won't do any fucken good will it, coz IDF will still bomb Beirut, Teyra whatever and the Hezbollah will still target Haifa and the area around it....

Fucks sake, pisses me off when some people can't accept that other people might have a different opinion.

ONE MORE TIME, however you phrase it, paraphrase it, twist it and word it, NO ONE on these boards thinks that Israel's actions are justified or measuered or proportional, which is what this thread is about, isn't it!
  • Options
    FFS. Its war. Individual casualties are tragic, of course, but need to be viewed within the wider context.
  • Options
    FFS. Its war. Individual casualties are tragic, of course, but need to be viewed within the wider context.
    Let's extend that theory. Go back, for a moment, to the First World War. As I understand it, about 50,000 British servicemen died each week. Is that an "acceptable" number as part of a wider "context"?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Let's extend that theory. Go back, for a moment, to the First World War. As I understand it, about 50,000 British servicemen died each week. Is that an "acceptable" number as part of a wider "context"?

That question would be valid if you were talking about 50,000 civilians instead of soldiers who all knew they might die. (And lets not even go into the WW1 and why so many soldiers died needlessly)
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    That question would be valid if you were talking about 50,000 civilians instead of soldiers who all knew they might die. (And lets not even go into the WW1 and why so many soldiers died needlessly)
    Just think of how many millions of people, soldiers and civilians alike, have died in needless conflicts over history.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Just think of how many millions of people, soldiers and civilians alike, have died in needless conflicts over history.

I am sorry, it must be coz it's late or something, but I don't get your point...
    Jesus I must be tired...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

make it any better? no

stpid military tactics eventually turn against the people who gave the orders...

israel know their current method won't solve the problem it will just make tensions worse and the chance of full scale war in the middle east more likely, which they'd like as the US would support them

lets hope they learn their lesson with as few casulties as possible, but as embaressingly as possible
  • Options
    If Hizbollah bases itself in civilian neighbourhoods and Israel is trying to destroy Hizbollah then what do you expect?

Israel does not seek the death of civilians. It seeks the destruction of Hizbollah. Therefore it is not deliberately targeting civilians. The blame for civilian deaths lies at Hizbollahs door, not Israels.
    Bullshit. The most Hezbollah had in that neighbourhood was its HQ. One place. Contained in one building.

Have a look at News 24 and watch the bulletin. The entire neighbourhood has been destroyed. A massive area.

It was a deliberate revenge attack on innocent people. You know it as well as the rest of us do. And no amount of spin it's going to make it otherwise.

IDF & Israeli government = war criminals and civilian murdering scum.

End of.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    ONE MORE TIME, however you phrase it, paraphrase it, twist it and word it, NO ONE on these boards thinks that Israel's actions are justified or measuered or proportional, which is what this thread is about, isn't it!
    Er, yes someone has. Have you actually read anything?

Don't need to go to the beginning. Just read this page and the page before.

See it yet?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I could post a cartoon- or even better, a photograph- of examples of Israeli soldiers murdering children

Not their own, which is the point which Mat is trying to make.

His post is actually reasonably accurate. Israel doesn't care is the Palestinian kids are in the way either.
  • Options
    Leave it to MoK to defend Mat's perpetual fantasyland delusions as reasonable and accurate. lol.

Classic!
  • Options
    Leave it to MoK to defend Mat's perpetual fantasyland delusions as reasonable and accurate. lol.

Classic!

Way to miss a point, doofus.

You will have noted, had you bothered to read what I had written, that I was commenting on the point he was trying to make. I also make reference to Israel's lack of consideration for Palestinian children.

For the simpletons amoungst us here (i.e. you) let me explain.

The likes of Hamas and Hezbollah use civillians to hide behind. They hide themselves and their weapons in cicillian areas, they use Ambulances and ordinary cars to transport their forces around. Thus, Mat's picture which shows them using a pram as cover is partly accurate.

Likewise, the Israeli soldier is still pointing his weapon at the Palestinian even though there is a pram in the way. To me this suggests that he couldn't give a shit that it is there and will fire any way.

So tell me, which of those points in wrong?
  • Options
    Are you aware MoK that Israeli soldiers have been known place Palestinian children on the bonnet of their vehicle to be used as human shields?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Are you aware MoK that Israeli soldiers have been known place Palestinian children on the bonnet of their vehicle to be used as human shields?

Look at what I have written, and then look again at what you just have.

I said..."Not their own" and "Israel doesn't care is the Palestinian kids are in the way either."

Does that help make it clearer?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Er, yes someone has. Have you actually read anything?

Don't need to go to the beginning. Just read this page and the page before.

See it yet?

Don't take this the wrong way and note that I don't take any insult from it, but your post is very patronizing.

I have been following the whole thread and posted a few times in it, (interestingly very few people have actually answered any of my questions, maybe coz they are so determined to push their own opinion)....
    Anyway, what Matadore has said, he has not once said that the Israelis are justified, i can understand how it may come across as that though.

Maybe Matadore doesn't know the history of the conflict, have you asked him?
    Have you asked him on what he bases his opinion and if he could maybe expand on what he says that "people die in wars, look at it from a wider perspective".

I myself was intrigued by that.

However, I don't think there is room for name calling and "humbling" and "putting people down" on these boards. Agreed?
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    NO ONE on these boards thinks that Israel's actions are justified or measuered or proportional, which is what this thread is about, isn't it!

The Matadore does, Disillusioned does.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    However, I don't think there is room for name calling and "humbling" and "putting people down" on these boards. Agreed?

:lol::lol: It happends all the time in here man...
    Shouldn't happend, but it would be dreaming to think it can not happend in here...
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Don't take this the wrong way and note that I don't take any insult from it, but your post is very patronizing.

I have been following the whole thread and posted a few times in it, (interestingly very few people have actually answered any of my questions, maybe coz they are so determined to push their own opinion)....
    Anyway, what Matadore has said, he has not once said that the Israelis are justified, i can understand how it may come across as that though.

Maybe Matadore doesn't know the history of the conflict, have you asked him?
    Have you asked him on what he bases his opinion and if he could maybe expand on what he says that "people die in wars, look at it from a wider perspective".

I myself was intrigued by that.

I think you need to grow thicker skin mate.
  • Options
    Look at what I have written, and then look again at what you just have.

I said..."Not their own" and "Israel doesn't care is the Palestinian kids are in the way either."

Does that help make it clearer?
    Not quite. I'm rather puzzled by your claims that Palestinian fighters kill "their own" children.

Got any links for that? Because sure as hell that's news to me.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think the picture would have been better if both sides put prams infront of their guns. None of them really give a shit about their civillians.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I think the picture would have been better if both sides put prams infront of their guns. None of them really give a shit about their civillians.
    Here here. So just like every other government in the world then?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I think you need to grow thicker skin mate.

Piss off! :D

I wasn't talking about myself.
    Plus, if you talked like that to someone you don't know on the street, you'd get knocked out. So I am sure you wouldn't talk to them like that.

Anyway, you didn't answer my questions...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The Matadore does, Disillusioned does.

Matadore, maybe, I am not convinced on how much he knows about it.

And Disillusioned, well surely he is disillusioned? ;)
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Piss off! :D

I wasn't talking about myself.
    Plus, if you talked like that to someone you don't know on the street, you'd get knocked out. So I am sure you wouldn't talk to them like that.

Anyway, you didn't answer my questions...
    I have had countless conversations with Matadore over the years regarding the ME conflict. I have to say I'm still at a loss as to what he actually bases his opinion on, other than the plain fact that he is a right wing neocon Republican cheerleader and follows the US government's doctrine and policy on foreign matters to the letter. The US government is an arch-supporter of zionism and the Israeli government, and by default so is our good friend.

Rest assured he's only prepared to apply his "people die in wars, look at it from a wider perspective" argument when it comes to defend his side. You would never catch him extending the same understanding to the people he doesn't like, be Palestinians, Arabs, commies or generally speaking anyone left of centre who is not in Washington DC's good books.

Just as he rants about (left wing) evil dictators killing and torturing their own people and the next minute he attempts to justify right wing dictators such as Augusto Pinochet doing just that.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    And Disillusioned, well surely he is disillusioned? ;)
    I have noticed his ausence in this and other threads on the conflict in the last few days. It could be that he's finally seen what the IDF and the Israeli government do to innocent people, and is angered at it. I know I would be.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I have had countless conversations with Matadore over the years regarding the ME conflict. I have to say I'm still at a loss as to what he actually bases his opinion on, other than the plain fact that he is a right wing neocon Republican cheerleader and follows the US government's doctrine and policy on foreign matters to the letter. The US government is an arch-supporter of zionism and the Israeli government, and by default so is our good friend.

Rest assured he's only prepared to apply his "people die in wars, look at it from a wider perspective" argument when it comes to defend his side. You would never catch him extending the same understanding to the people he doesn't like, be Palestinians, Arabs, commies or generally speaking anyone left of centre who is not in Washington DC's good books.

Just as he rants about (left wing) evil dictators killing and torturing their own people and the next minute he attempts to justify right wing dictators such as Augusto Pinochet doing just that.

Point taken.
  • Options
    fair enough yeah i did see it, but it wouldn't be the first time mat's tried to derail a thread with a stupid irrelevant post because maybe he's not so comfortable with the truth........so what do you think of the israel/lebanon situation then?

I think Israel is trying to recapture all its lost occupied territories that it once held. I think they are going to bomb the territory into dust then send in an occupation army to sweep through and whipe out anyone who is left there, destroying the last of Hezbollah but in doing so creating a far more dangerous and radical movement that will go to even further lengths to drive the Israelis out.

I think the whole endevour by the Israelis has been a huge of time and effort and if they think they are going to capture the entire Holy land and drive out every single non-Israeli or kill every single non-Israeli then they are mistaken to the extreme as this will turn into a quagmire for them. Even if they created and used concentration camps the chances of actually managing to seize all of Israel, capture and control all of Palestinian territory, capture and hold onto south Lebonnon AND inevitably try to seize parts of syria too are so remote it is amazing they are even trying. They will end up fighting a war of three fronts and although they will have initial success, in a war of attrition no one will win.
  • Options
    Meanwhile Condolezza Rice is in Beirut right now.

Woulnd't it be ironic if an Israeli missile goes astray and blows her up...