Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cannabis & health survey

KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
It's been six months since Charles Clarke decided not to reclassify cannabis, and instead initiated a campaign to warn people of the potential health risks associated with it.

In light of this, Rethink have launched a survey to find out how much the public knows about cannabis and your health. It's completely anonymous and you can fill it out here.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i don't usualy bother but i have filled it in ...some of the questions are crap.
    health mental health etc.
    i can only answer for myself and those around me ...yes i accept it isn't good for everyone but i haven't met everyone and i haven't met anyone who has suffered long term anything from dope.
  • Options
    Hmm, a mixed survey, I'm not sure about some of the questions;

23. Is cannabis good or bad for people’s mental health?

All people? You cant generalise like that, it affects various people in different ways.

Same with the physical health questions, it totally depends on how much you use, obviously 10 smokes a day is going to do in your lungs, but a little once a month isnt.
  • Options
    Clearly the strain of cannabis you are using and the person themselves will affect whether or not it is is health risk, particularly in cases of mental health.

And BongBudda is right, a lil once a month wont make a big difference, where as 10 a day will. Surely if your having a draw with some mates the effects are going to be nothing compared to 20 joints before work...
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Clearly the strain of cannabis you are using ...
    not sure i agree with this at all.
    what strain is worse for your health than an other?

the british public are of course at great risk from soap bar.
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    bongbudda wrote:

All people? You cant generalise like that, it affects various people in different ways.

Same with the physical health questions, it totally depends on how much you use, obviously 10 smokes a day is going to do in your lungs, but a little once a month isnt.

It could come across as a bit black and white in places, though I'm sure Rethink would appreciate feedback.
    I take question 23 to mean "What's your gut reaction to cannabis regarding mental health?". That's my guess, anyway.
  • Options
    Kimono wrote:
    I take question 23 to mean "What's your gut reaction to cannabis regarding mental health?". That's my guess, anyway.

But my gut reaction is 'its bad for some people, good for others'.
  • Options
    Kimono wrote:
    It's been six months since Charles Clarke decided not to reclassify cannabis, and instead initiated a campaign to warn people of the potential health risks associated with it.

In light of this, Rethink have launched a survey to find out how much the public knows about cannabis and your health. It's completely anonymous and you can fill it out here.
    It has been known that some people using cannabis get bitch tits. I think it was only a small population.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    It has been known that some people using cannabis get bitch tits. I think it was only a small population.
    yes ...there were some experiments in the seventies that showed this but ...huge doses.
    cos thc is almost identical to a female hormone which i can't remember the name of now.
    ostregen maybe?
  • Options
    Yeah estrogen.

Same with soy, that contains estrogen.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    bongbudda wrote:

Surely the survey is collating peoples perceptions of cannabis, and in that context it is a reasonable question? For a lot of people it is that black and white. One of Rethinks aims is to raise awareness of mental health issues and to campaign for changes in policy and practice, so finding out what peoples opinions about cannabis are is a good way to work out where there are gaps in knowledge, and therefore where education needs to be targeted.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:

I think you might be wrong. Erowid isn't specific about male breasts, but it does say that cannabis use has not been proven to cause changes in human sex hormones - more info here. I don't suppose you can find a credible source to back that up, can you? What about those studies you mentioned Rolly?
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Surely the survey is collating peoples perceptions of cannabis, and in that context it is a reasonable question? For a lot of people it is that black and white. One of Rethinks aims is to raise awareness of mental health issues and to campaign for changes in policy and practice, so finding out what peoples opinions about cannabis are is a good way to work out where there are gaps in knowledge, and therefore where education needs to be targeted.

But the question forces you to have a single opinion on a matter which is complex. I can not say that cannabis is good or bad for mental health truthfully because the actual answer is more complex than just a yes/no.

Its just like saying is anything good or bad - is sky diving good or bad?
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    What about those studies you mentioned Rolly?
    thirty years ago and thinking about it ...probably propoganda as usual.

simple yes no answers realy aren't good enough.
    they realy aren't doing themselves or anyone else any favours here.
    it's all well and good trying yo understand peoples perceptions about cannabis but this realy isn't the way to go about it.
    my perception and bias will be completely different than someone elses ...so your not going to get even an average score.
    in fact ...these kinds of surveys probably add to the confusion.
    they will achieve little if anything from such a simple and badly done survey ...and without any controls.
  • Options
    Due to the nature of the evidence it is important that policy makers assess the likely health impact on the greatest number, rather than extrapolating from individual case studies or those involving surveys with only small samples.

In relation to the millions of individuals who have been exposed to the drug in this country since the late 1960s, cannabis compares favourably (in terms of health implications) with legal drugs widely used such as alcohol and tobacco.

from ...http://www.drugscope.org.uk/druginfo/evidence-select/cannabishealth.htm

yes i'm a bit cynical.
    who funds the people who want information from the site users?
    why don't they just google it?
    there are over a hundred years of all manner of studies and corresponding information available already.
    it seems a deeply flawed way to get the information they want ...meaning yet another deeply flawed study with misleading results.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    As Bong said really.

Some questions are far to general. And therefore have no right or wrong answer.
  • Options
    The purpose of the survey is to find out people's opinions, not to find the definitive answers.
  • Options

who funds the people who want information from the site users?
    why don't they just google it?
    there are over a hundred years of all manner of studies and corresponding information available already.
    it seems a deeply flawed way to get the information they want ...meaning yet another deeply flawed study with misleading results.
    Rethink is heavily reliant on voluntary income from companies, trusts and individuals to pay for the costs of our research and policy work, media and campaigns activities, our national advice service and our user and carer involvement programme for our members and support groups.
    Our size is misleading (as the bulk of our income comes from contracts with health authorities to provide local mental health services). This does not reflect the urgent need we have to raise £2.5 million each year from voluntary sources to support our important public affairs activities outlined above.
    from their website, which is linked above. I think you are making a shedload of assumptions about why the data is being collected, what context it is being collected in , what it will be used for etc.
    I think you guys forget that the general public aren't as well informed as you are, think about how your parents might answer the questions, it probably is quite straitforward to them...
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    from their website, which is linked above. I think you are making a shedload of assumptions about why the data is being collected, what context it is being collected in , what it will be used for etc.
    I think you guys forget that the general public aren't as well informed as you are, think about how your parents might answer the questions, it probably is quite straitforward to them...
    yeah i'm sorry lady ...i checked the link after posting which isn't always wise.
    but ...i still think it aint done very well and to be honest ...all the info they want is available in triplicate times a thousand already ...they not heard of google?
    not quite 50% of joe public yet agree with legalising largely due to the fact they know little about cannabis or the way in which the current laws make the situation harmful. even less know much about health implications cos of bad propaganda and misinformation and cos this survey is done so badly ...they will just get more bad information to add to the confusion.
    yes no answers are not good enough to discover who believes what and why.
    seems like a waste of time money and effort.
    they will achieve nothing.
  • Options
    done, didnt find it a problem tbh
  • Options
    Again Rolly, you are assuming they are using the data from the survey in one way, when you don't really know.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Again Rolly, you are assuming they want the data to gain an understanding about what people know, rather than what their attitude is.
    ok ok.
    seems like information overload to me though ...so much info available.
    information for informations sake.
    bet you they don't glean anything new.
    anything they couldn't have googled.
    bet you it achieves nothing for them ...in fact i might just email them my bet.