Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Straight Edge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
if you dont know what that means....ask and i'll tell you. but i was wondering if there's anyone on here who hasnt tried anything? i'm drug-free. i've never tried weed. just seeing who else is in the same boat as me....and if you havent, why havent you tried it yet?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MissMurder wrote:
    if you dont know what that means....ask and i'll tell you. but i was wondering if there's anyone on here who hasnt tried anything? i'm drug-free. i've never tried weed. just seeing who else is in the same boat as me....and if you havent, why havent you tried it yet?
    alcohol has never passed your lips?
    how about codiene?
    nicotine?
    anti deps?
    Do you draw an X on your hand? And beat people up at gigs for wearing leather jackets?
    I don't drink or take any (recreational) drugs, but that's just my choice, and to be honest I find the whole straight edge concept a little bit obnoxious.

People should just do what they want to do with their bodies and their money. Why make a song and dance about it?
    /
    I don't see any major reason why not to try drugs...it's part of human nature to explore oneself, and my personal opinion is that straight edges are missing out on a lot.
    looking back over my life ...i'm glad i have a wobbly even serated and curvy edge.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit.

Let me ask you this... Would you go into you local neighborhood church and start vandalizing the pews, or spray painting the walls?

No! In the same way, we must not defile our temples in which Christ dwells, by contaminating them with drugs and damaging the organs, especially the minds that God has given. With this in mind, we must separate ourselves from these impure drugs and deeds of darkness, and try to live holy and pure lives, being the salt and the light of the world

Yeah I've done drugs... shit loads of them
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit.

Let me ask you this... Would you go into you local neighborhood church and start vandalizing the pews, or spray painting the walls?

No! In the same way, we must not defile our temples in which Christ dwells, by contaminating them with drugs and damaging the organs, especially the minds that God has given. With this in mind, we must separate ourselves from these impure drugs and deeds of darkness, and try to live holy and pure lives, being the salt and the light of the world

Yeah I've done drugs... shit loads of them
    ahhh! th is straight edge thingymebob is a religous thingymebob then?
    :lol:

I was reading that and thinking "what the fuck!!?" Then I got to the bottom!

Nice post mate! :thumb:
    ahhh! th is straight edge thingymebob is a religous thingymebob then?

No, its something that started from the US punk/hardcore scene, came from a band called Minor Threat. Something to do with keeping yourself pure and disciplined and not corrupted by society. Or something.
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, its something that started from the US punk/hardcore scene, came from a band called Minor Threat. Something to do with keeping yourself pure and disciplined and not corrupted by society. Or something.
    sounds religous to me.
    not corrupted by which society?
    have these people found a different non corrupting society?
    Don't ask me, I'm not Sxe (that's shorthand for straightedge).

Look here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge
    I used to have quite a lot of straight edge skater friends - i think they also were all saving their virginity as well - but they were kind of cool about it and one even addimitted to once trying baylies ice cream.

Its kind of like a religion without most of the whole god bit - and its also like saying you can still be cool and not take drugs and have lots of sex and stuff - but then again i've never met any straight edgers who are up themselves.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Don't ask me, I'm not Sxe (that's shorthand for straightedge).

Look here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge
    CHEERS.
    I've read some "straight edge" forums on the net and it's evident most them have serious mental problems. Every few posts you'd have some sad bastard confessing to having a beer at the weekend and getting slagged off as a traitor to the movement. Highly pathetic.
    i'll never be straight edged ...i'd miss the inside of my head being lit up ...feeling like this ...(a picture tells a thousand stories) .....

psychedelic20art20landscapepz8.jpg
    i'll never be straight edged ...i'd miss the inside of my head being lit up ...feeling like this ...(a picture tells a thousand stories) .....

psychedelic20art20landscapepz8.jpg
    Wired...about sums it up :D
    image01ly3.jpg
    cranx7.jpg
    straight-edged

20h0kll.jpg
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Rolly... that first pic is brilliant!
    It's a joke. No straight edger makes it to 25. FACT.

It' been adopted by a load of twats who take it, and indeed punk music WAY too seriously, but you can't explain otherwise because you'll get a tirade of self righteousness. I've had friends who didn't drink or take drugs, who have since become vegan etc etc and can't really explain why. It's stupid.

I've never taken any illegal drugs, i listen to punk and i don't drink any more. I'm not commiting to something i'll never achieve though, because if one day i fancy a pint, i don't want to think "oh no i'm straight edge, i'd quite like to but can't" and that's why it's crap. That and the haircuts and X's, and lyrics.
    Most of the strait-edge kids i know are either doing it for attention or for control. They are usually from bad families. Not doing drugs or having sex gives them attention and it gives them a lot of control over their lives.
    Good band, but not my scene. I never knew anybody who was into it. Never even knew anybody who knew the band.
    so, who decides which substances are good and which are bad? Do they put sugar in their tea or what?
    Most of the strait-edge kids i know are either doing it for attention or for control. They are usually from bad families. Not doing drugs or having sex gives them attention and it gives them a lot of control over their lives.

But is that really a bad thing - being in control of your own life and making your own decisions whilst sober?
    i could just imagine an emo kid going through a straight edge period, and then trying years later to explain to a potential wife/gf how or why they ended up being such a stupid twat
    I mean I think its totally respectable if somebody doesnt partake in those kind of activities, but there is no need to glorify it just for attentin when there are millions of other people who dont drink or do drugs either.

I think that misses the point slightly though. The reason some people try and 'glorify' or actively promote abstinence is because we live in a society where a lifestyle of drink and drugs - especially the former - is already glorified to a huge extent. Alcohol advertising and consumption is the most prominent example. It is seen by the majority as the done thing and the way it is advertised most certainly glorifies it. You only have to be in the centre of any town or city in an evening to realise that. I do agree that people who abstain shouldn't look down on those who don't, but I certainly don't have a problem with a wholesome drug-free lifestyle being 'glorified' if people so wish. There are people glorifying much, much worse things.

Just because certain people who abstain don't feel the need to rattle on about it doesn't mean that those who do are in the wrong. It's a matter of choice.

As far as I'm concerned, a person has just as much justification to walk around in a straight edge shirt as does somebody else to walk around in a 'Guinness' t-shirt.

Drinking culture is glorified to a huge extent in this country. To take offence, then, at a group which runs counter to that and seeks to glorify an opposing way of life is to my mind hugely hypocritical. Just because drinkers don't all go around with tatoos on to 'brand' them as drinkers doesn't mean the lifestyle is not being glorified. It is glorified by the mere fact that it is seen as a social norm and as a highly desirable social activity.

Like I say, there are people out there 'preaching' much worse things than a drug free lifestyle. *Even* if you find the straight edge thing a little self-righteous then you cannot assert that they promote anything harmful. Quite the contrary.

It's also about belonging. If you drink and go clubbing, as most of my fellow uni-goers do, you 'belong'. You belong to the class of persons - which form the huge majority of students - who partake in that kind of thing. I have no problem with folks wanting to feel that they 'belong' to a group who militate against that kind of lifestyle. If they want to brand themselves with Xs, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep about it. In fact I'm gonna catch some shut eye right now :thumb:

(Btw, I'm not straight edge, just putting forward another perspective) :p
    i think its all a load of shite
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Yep, load of jank! :yes:
    Weekender Offender