Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

whats going on with Israel and Lebanon

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What's the practical difference? Both the IRA and Hizbollah bombed civilians indiscrimnately.

If you cant see the diffference between the IRA and Hizbollah with regards the nature of their goals (hizbollah seeks the eradication of the Jewish state), their methods (hizbollah uses long range rockets and suicide bombs) and their ideology (Hizbollah is a fanatical Islamist organisation) and their resources (Hizbollah is armed to the teeth as I've already pointed out) then you never will.
    The difference is that the British government did not retaliate in kind. What gives Israel the right to?

Israel is a democratic country with every right to defend its citizens from attack. If this means going across the border and smashing a repulsive Islamist militia then even better.
    It is bombing and killing civilians. I suggest you read the news.

Note that Hizbollah started this war, not the Israelis. They've bitten off more than they can chew, thankfully.

Whilst regrettable, civilian casualties are always the product of war, even just war.
  • Options
    I would agree that the 150 people killed so far is a litte extrem as most of these are civillians - i'm well annoyed as well becuase i was actually considering going on holidy to the Lebannon later in the year.
  • Options
    If you cant see the diffference between the IRA and Hizbollah with regards the nature of their goals (hizbollah seeks the eradication of the Jewish state), their methods (hizbollah uses long range rockets and suicide bombs) and their ideology (Hizbollah is a fanatical Islamist organisation) and their resources (Hizbollah is armed to the teeth as I've already pointed out) then you never will.

The IRA sought the destruction of the Northern Irish state, and they used bombs and guns and were also fairly fanatical. If you can't see the similarities then I guess you're an idiot.
    Israel is a democratic country with every right to defend its citizens from attack. If this means going across the border and smashing a repulsive Islamist militia then even better.

Note that Hizbollah started this war, not the Israelis. They've bitten off more than they can chew, thankfully.

Whilst regrettable, civilian casualties are always the product of war, even just war.

Israel are delibetatly targetting civilians due to the actions of a minority. This is unacceptable.
  • Options
    and they used bombs and guns and were also fairly fanatical

How simplistic can you get?
    Israel are delibetatly targetting civilians due to the actions of a minority. This is unacceptable.

They are not deliberately targeting civilians. They are destroiying the Hizbollah militia. How often does this need to be said?
  • Options
    How simplistic can you get?

Just bringing it down to your level.

They are not deliberately targeting civilians. They are destroiying the Hizbollah militia. How often does this need to be said?

They are deliberatly targetting civilians. They have a long history of doing so. You blind arse.
  • Options
    This is pointless. If you have no intention of admitting that you are wrong then I don't see the point of continuing this discussion.
  • Options
    This is pointless. If you have no intention of admitting that you are wrong then I don't see the point of continuing this discussion.

LOL! :D Hilarious.

Try watcing the news for once.
  • Options
    Ever considered the two might be linked? Ever considered the Hezbollah militia might be surrounding themselves amidst the main population?
  • Options
    “Israel must put an immediate end to attacks against civilians and against civilian infrastructure in Lebanon, which constitute collective punishment. Israel must also respect the principle of proportionality when targeting any military objectives or civilian objectives that may be used for military purposes,” said Malcolm Smart, Director of Amnesty International’s Middle East Programme.

http://news.amnesty.org/index/engmde150642006
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    (hizbollah seeks the eradication of the Jewish state), their methods (hizbollah uses long range rockets and suicide bombs) and their ideology (Hizbollah is a fanatical Islamist organisation) and their resources (Hizbollah is armed to the teeth as I've already pointed out) then you never will.

The IRA sought destruction of the NI state. They attacked the British mainland (inculding No.10) with bombs, mortors and guns. They counted civilians as legitamte targets, they were fanatical Catholics, and they were funded heavilly by groups in the US.

They're not so very different you know.

Events like bloody sunday happen on a regular basis in Israel.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Lets just be clear here. Hizbollah attacks the sovereign state of Israel using sophisticated rockets which can reach up to 50 miles into Israel. The Lebanese government ssays it is impotent to deal with this itself, so Israel does it.
    Let's be clear about this: bombing bridges, airports and Beirut itself has FUCK ALL to do with fighting Hizbollah.

Please don't insult our intelligence by suggesting otherwise.
  • Options
    Deliberate attacks by Israeli forces against civilian property and infrastructure in the Gaza Strip violate international humanitarian law and constitute war crimes, Amnesty International said today.
    http://news.amnesty.org/index/ENGMDE150612006
  • Options
    Hizbollah is not a small group of people. It is a massive organisation armed to the teeth with long range missles
    'Long range missiles'? Glorified fireworks would be closer to the mark. They're worse than that of course, but not in a million times 'long range missiles'- or missiles or any kind.

Do you want to pull out some figures for the 2,000lb laser guided bombs or the Hellfire missiles Israel kindly uses on Palestinians and Lebanese innocent civilians? They'd piss on the capabilities and destructive power of the Hezbollah rockets many times over.
  • Options
    If you have no intention of admitting that you are wrong then I don't see the point of continuing this discussion.

Says he who prides himself on remaining misinformed and wrong with every post he makes! lol.

Intractable ignorance of both the long-running reality and agenda of the present acts of Israeli aggression (against a sovereign and democratic state), utter lack of consistent application of principle, the audacity to call any others "simplistic" whilst demonstrating only the ability to regurgitate mainstream pro-Israeli whitewashed propaganda, and a further lack of any knowledge of the true particularist and racist two-tiered society he (and all too many other tv-fed apologists) calls "a democratic state" (i.e. Israel) are once again blatantly on display for the amusement or outright pity of those who bother educating themselves.
  • Options
    Parties on both sides are to blame. Like you arguing in here, nobody will back down. Who started it? Well, Israel shelled that beach that led to Hamas getting militant, but they thought there were terrorists on the beach... still, they haven't offered an apology as far as I know. That's all irrelevant now though, the big issue is who is going to be the bigger 'man' and back down.

Having said that, I think they've been wanting to kick the sh*t out of each other for a while now, a war is just a good excuse. Imagine there's no countries...

I think it's daft to defend either Israel or Hizbollah or Hamas. They're all out for blood, and I think there should be no 'acceptable' killing, it's killing, plain and simple. Why don't they read up on a chap called Ghandi?