Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

whats going on with Israel and Lebanon

can someone explain it a bit please?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5178774.stm not too sure if that's what you mean though.
  • Options
    yes ive seen the BBC news, but I cant seem to get a proper grip of why its all happening just by reading the news for some reason. So I was hoping someone would be able to explain it a bit for a simpleton here :)
  • Options
    http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1967to1991_lebanon_198x_backgd.php might have something to do with it I think. I could also try to ask my Israeli friend to explain it and I can it up here.
  • Options
    As i understand it, Hezbollah forces captured or killed a couple of Israeli soldiers. The result been that the already angry and reactionary Israeli government has taken such act as a declaration of war against them and has begun its counter attack. Basically the Israelis are attempting to recapture every single piece of land they have ever controlled since the cration of the state of Israel. They will probably succeed too.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    As i understand it, Hezbollah forces captured or killed a couple of Israeli soldiers. The result been that the already angry and reactionary Israeli government has taken such act as a declaration of war against them and has begun its counter attack. Basically the Israelis are attempting to recapture every single piece of land they have ever controlled since the cration of the state of Israel. They will probably succeed too.

Isn't this what basically happened with Israel & Palestine as well?
  • Options
    thanks for those
  • Options
    They havent quite succeeded yet with Palestine, but yes, essentially its the same thing. If Syria kidnaps a couple of Israeli soldiers they would then have to fight on three fronts.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:

It doesn't take much for some nations to declear war on others doesn't it?

If you ever visit Israel make sure not to drop chewing gum on the street lest the hellfire missiles start raining on London. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    can you explain a bit the way YOU see it aladdin. Im only asking cos I find info a lot easier to take in when reading about it like this, y`know, exchanges of ideas etc, discussions, rather than just reading an artical, although that artical that sophia posted helped a little.
    I was hoping a debate on it had already been started tbh
  • Options
    Okay. I'll try to be fair.

1. On the one side the new Israeli Prime Minister wants to be as a tough guy and as worthy a PM as his predecessor Ariel 'The Butcher of Tel Aviv' Sharon. And he's doing that by completely over-reacting over the kidnapping of two Israeli soldiers by Hezbollah guerrillas.

Israel is not interested in peace in the Middle East- not unless it is allowed to keep large chunks of Palestine it has illegally occupied for many decades. One of the favourite tactics Israel uses to perpetuate the conflict is to try to tar everyone else in the Middle East as a 'terrorist'. Not only the militant groups themselves, but entire governments. So its excuse for attacking the heart of Lebanon, its capital, its people and its airport is that the Lebanese government is behind the kidnapping of the two soldiers. In reality however Israel is just killing for the purposes of revenge, retaliation and blackmailing: give us back our soldiers or we will kill thousands of yours and turn back the clock 20 years.

2. On the other side you have Hezbollah fighters. They were a formidable force during the Israeli illegal occupation of Lebanon in the 1980s. They continued to be active after Israel pulled out of Lebanon in 2000 and fire home-made rockets into Israel from time to time. During this crisis they have sought to put extra pressure on Israel after one of its soldiers was taken by Palestinian fighters by kidnapping two soldiers themselves. One of the aims presumably was to get Israel to react in the way it did, so it is fair to say Hezbollah don't care too much about the wellbeing of Lebanese citizens either. However another main aim would be to exchange the Israeli soldiers for Hezbollah fighters currently imprisoned in Israel. There is a precedent to this- when Israel pulled out it and Hezbollah exchanged the bodies of several soldiers killed some 15 years ago for those of Lebanese fighters.

And that's about it. One side kidnaps two soldiers to put pressure on Israel and to try to negotiate a prisoner exchange, and the other side over-reacts and commits a few dozen more murders and War Crimes to add to its indescribably large list.
  • Options
    Wow, thanks Aladdin, see now I can actually read the news and maybe get a bit what they mean. I know im stupid sometimes, but I learn a hell of a lot from these forums. :)

Appreciated.
  • Options
    :(
  • Options
    Very fair...

Basically a soldier was kidnapped last month, then a few days ago Hizbolla (terrorist organization with ministers in the Lebanese parliament and government) launched an attack against Israeli soldiers killing 8 and kidnapping 2 if I am not mistaken.
    This was what happened to start whatever's happening at the moment.

The rest will be biased opinion.

SCC, I appericiate you wanting to learn about the subject and get a grasp, but while you're at it, then I would actually make a bit more research than just the tainted opinions of people on a messageboard (including myself) :)
  • Options
    I wouldn't say the killing of 50 innocent men, women and children and the bombing of Beirut neighbourhoods and its airport is a biased opinion. I'd say they are facts. It's up to the reader to consider whether such actions are justified, appropriate or lawful.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:

SCC, I appericiate you wanting to learn about the subject and get a grasp, but while you're at it, then I would actually make a bit more research than just the tainted opinions of people on a messageboard (including myself) :)
    well yeah, but i was reading the news etc, but was finding it hard to take in when i didnt know the basics thats all. I realise that on here its gonna be biased and tbh, thats why i like reading debates on here, because you get ideas from all sides as well as the facts.
  • Options
    well yeah, but i was reading the news etc, but was finding it hard to take in when i didnt know the basics thats all. I realise that on here its gonna be biased and tbh, thats why i like reading debates on here, because you get ideas from all sides as well as the facts.

If you want a brief and non-partisan description of the background to the Arab-Israeli conflict that considers both sides it's worth reading Neill Lochery's 'Why Blame Israel?'

The Arab-Israeli conflict has a complex and controversial history and anybody who wholly blames one side or the other is most likely uninterested in historical fact and consumed simply by a passionate hatred for one side and unquestioning support for the other. Aladdin is a classic example of such an individual. Current events are no different with blame lying between a complex combination of parties. Israel must take some of the blame for not making more serious attempts to negotiate but Israel has been provoked by a barrage of missile attacks against Israeli towns within Israeli territory from the Palestinian Hamas and the Lebanese Hezbollah. There are casualties on both sides. And from past experience the Israelis know that unless they themselves rescue their kidnapped troops they'll be lucky to get the dead bodies back to bury in Israel.
  • Options
    in the lebanon ...hezbollah means ...the party of god.
    the party of god are sworn to the total destruction of israel.
    i can't see how peace can ever come to the middle east.
    simply cos the place is full of oil and extremists on all sides.
    sooner the oil runs dry the better then we can walk away and leave them to slaughter each other but ...while theres still oil there ...the west will keep paying and arming its favourites.
    can't call them friends cos ...we will no longer have any need of such people.

syria arm hezbollah as do iran ...so we are told.
    so syria and iran could be targeted next but ...the yanks suposedly don't want the israelis to attack iran ...just yet.

i get the impression that america wants the middle east to be in a state of perpetual turmoil and pays and uses israel to do the work for them.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Syria now.

The Israeli's have gone NUTS and are lashing out at everyone. Biting off more than you can chew? How long until even Israel's bestest buddy America condems this? The UN must surley act?

The Palestinians took this guy. Not fucking Lebanon or Syria. This is pointless fucking aggression and I hope they get thier comeupance.

Preferably a 20,000 SCUDs. This pisses me off. I could at least see the case (weak as it was) for getting a soldier back. This is just being aggressive and wankerish.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The Palestinians took this guy. Not fucking Lebanon or Syria. h.
    Lebanon nicked two soldiers.
    bring on armageddon.
  • Options
    What do you mean? Have they attacked Syria? There is nothing in the news so far.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    What do you mean? Have they attacked Syria? There is nothing in the news so far.

I heard they had now decided Syria would be the next target... and if you look at the beeb stories and look for mentions of Syria... apparently Israel says "Syria, Lebonan, and Iran" are an "Axis of Terror". And Washington thinks Iran and Syria are to blame. Ho hum.

They have also bombed the road between Damascus and Beirut which may annoy the Syrians... it is their road too.

At least the Lebonese got six planes out of thier Airport before the Israeli's came I suppose...

The thing that scares me is... will they actually go through with an attack on Syria again?
    Lebanon nicked two soldiers.
    bring on armageddon.

Didn't know that, sorry :o

Also: Click. That is disgusting... I slowly lose more and more faith in the UN all the time.
  • Options
    I've got some Lebanese friends. They're shitting themselves. The Israeli's are bombing their country and killing civilians. Way to go Israel. Cunts.
  • Options
    Yes Gerbil I was just reading the same thing on BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5180116.stm
    Britain was among four nations that abstained when a resolution condemning Israel and demanding it halt its separate military offensive in the Gaza Strip was put to the UN Security Council on Thursday.

The US voted against the resolution.

The Security Council debated the issue at an emergency meeting on Friday and Lebanon called for an end to the Israeli operation.
    Blair wrote:
    "We can condemn as much as we like, we are not actually in that situation. We are not having to make the decisions in that situation."

Absolutely disgusting! I wish there was some kind of protest I could attend lol.
  • Options
    "We can condemn as much as we like, we are not actually in that situation. We are not having to make the decisions in that situation."

Ah, where was this rhetoric when it was a matter of "liberating" the poor Iraqis or Afghanis from their oppressors and brutalisers (not that such was ever the true intention anyways)?

The cognitive dissonance of gutless Western collaborators and corporate-serving neocolonialists like Blair at its most transparent!

[edited to add: And anyone wonders why the surrounding nations and peoples have long considered Israel the greatest threat to the region?]
  • Options
    If ANY OTHER NATION did this, there would be an outcry.

Why is Israel immune to this? If I was the British Prime Minister, I'd say "Stop cocking about or we'll fucking do you over. Twats."

Let's look at it logically. If a British soldier is hostage, they send in the SAS. The US do the same with Delta Force. Russians use Spetsnaz.

WHY must Israel use the whole of its armed forces to slaughter thousands of civilians?

And why does no-one do anything? Bunch of wankers.
  • Options
    the israeli leadership seems bent on it's nation being driven into the sea.
  • Options

It won't be them that pay though. They'll go into exile in the US no doubt, if the shit hits the fan.

And the average Israeli civilian will pay.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It won't be them that pay though. They'll go into exile in the US no doubt, if the shit hits the fan.

And the average Israeli civilian will pay.

As usual innit...
  • Options
    I'll admit I understand very little about this, I'm trying to learn more but from what I gather. Israel is not over reacting, she is protecting her self. She is isolated in the middle east and it wants revenge on Hezollah. Israel should not free prisonors as the reason they are prisonors. Israel should carry on with this attack until it's soliders are handed back over safe and sound.

There's so much bias on this subject. Everyone looking and focussing on Israeli actions now but what about Hamas and Hezbollah? Both terrorists organisations in government. Both do not even recognise Israel therefore I refuse to treat them as anything less than a buch of terrorists.
  • Options
    What about the Palestinian leadership? It's a terrorist organisation that doesn't recognise the only Jewish state in the world because it's Jewish.