Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

national insurance card

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my national insurance cards been stolen. how do i go about getting a new one? i tried emailing the unhelpful people from the inland revenue but they were totally crap!

Comments

• Options
    The Inland Revenue (now called HM Revenue and Customs btw) won't help.

Get down to your local DSS office and report it stolen.

ETA: http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Aboutus/Ouroffices/LocalOfficeSearch.aspx
  • Options
    Report it stolen.

You might be better NOT getting a new one. If you know your number it's better not to get one until you absolutley need it. I think you're only allowed ONE card relpacement in your life but you're allowed as many paper replacements (the number written down) as you like. My friend just got his number sent out to him, cause being this young probably isn't the best time to use up the lifeline.
  • Options
    I just phoned up. You have to get a replacement form sent to you.

I never received my original card as it was sent to the wrong address (which on the form is an option for the reason you're requesting a replacement), so I'm hoping that I still can replace my card if I lose it.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I lost mine years ago. However, as I know my NI number and is on my payslips I didn't bother getting a replacement.

If you know it, I wouldn't bother with the hassle.
  • Options
    Inland Rev were shite on the phone to my boyfriend.

'No sorry cant help ya' *hang up*

twats'
  • Options
    i dont know about the fact you can only ever get one replacement in your life, but if this is true then i wouldnt get it now, get it when you need it as long as you know ur number by heart.

I never carry mine around with me so it doesnt get stolen anyway which maybe is a good idea for everyone - just write it down on a piece of paper and put it in your wallet - unless you know it off by heart. Stupid i know that in this world we cant risk carrying stuff around with us in case it gets stolen :mad: - but hey thats life
  • Options
    I have no idea why anyone would want to steal an N.I. card in the first place. You can't do anything with it. If someone does put your N.I. number down on a job application, they'd only be doing you a favour by paying your N.I..
  • Options
    I had mine nicked too. Not so nice.

I just went to the job centre, told them, and he gave me the number on a piece of paper. MUCH safer.
  • Options
    i'll agree, the inland revenue are shit on the phone. i had to ring them to try and get another copy of my last p60 and was told to come down to their offices as it would be quicker..off i trotted down to their offices only to be told i had to make an apointment, given a time to come back (2 weeks later) and sent off on my way.
  • Options
    Sorry, am i missing something. I understand why you'd need to kn ow your NI number but, is there any reason you need an NI card?
  • Options
    Bear-Max wrote:
    I have no idea why anyone would want to steal an N.I. card in the first place. You can't do anything with it. If someone does put your N.I. number down on a job application, they'd only be doing you a favour by paying your N.I..

they might steal you whole wallet which might happen to have your NI card in it. Then obviously they wont use it theyll just trash the stuff which is of no use to them
  • Options
    my national insurance cards been stolen. how do i go about getting a new one? i tried emailing the unhelpful people from the inland revenue but they were totally crap!

You don't actually need the card ever.

So long as you know the number.
  • Options
    Mine got nicked along with my wallet years ago. The only time you may need your National Insurance Number card itself is if you are about to start work in the construction industry and the IR need to see the actual card to verify the national insurance number in use.

I think a couple of employment agencies insist on seeing them along with a british passport.

I have heard of National Insurance Number cards being stolen and used by illegal immigrants to obtain employment here, there was some Watchdog type program on about it a while back.
  • Options
    you can only have 1 replacement in your lifetime now.

wage slips should do as a replacement tho