Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Moving into a house with electricity disconnected

I am moving soon. Apparently the electricity to the flat has been disconnected (don't know why or when, but it worked when we viewed it). Of course, it'll need to be back on by the time I move (this weekend).

Does anyone have any experience of this happening?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because no one was paying the bill? Phone the electric company before you move in and ask for it to be connected by that date.
    Tweety wrote:
    Because no one was paying the bill? Phone the electric company before you move in and ask for it to be connected by that date.

It seems strange that a bill hasn't been paid, but possibly.

Yeah, the housemate has done that. Apparently some engineer or owt is going there tomorrow and will call him back.

I'm just worried there might be a delay, which'd make the place uninhabitable (or as damn near as). I shall be patient and wait until tomorrow.

Thank you :)
    It seems strange that a bill hasn't been paid, but possibly.

Yeah, the housemate has done that. Apparently some engineer or owt is going there tomorrow and will call him back.

I'm just worried there might be a delay, which'd make the place uninhabitable (or as damn near as). I shall be patient and wait until tomorrow.

Thank you :)

If the place is not occupied and the landlord is not willing to py for the elec whilst it's not they will stop the supply until someone is willing to start paying again.
    They are going to turn it on on the day we move in sometime between 8 and 6. Apparently they'll ring the housemate so we have enough notice to actually be there, rather than moving.

I don't understand why companies can't book a time (like Tesco direct, where you get a two hour slot) to visit.