Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What you want vs whats good

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've been contemplating recently. I've heard alot, *alot* about the need and pay for lawyers, of nearly every type is low and getting lower. For example, a guy who just started working here part time, as his full time job doesn't pay crap, hes a state prosecuter. He went to at least 7-8 years of school to have a part time job putting pills into bubble packs making $9 an hour :\

I was asking him some stuff and he was saying how right now, there are just too many people in that job and the pay is extremly minimul. Not to mention by the time I'd be qualified, I'd be near 30. I know the job market changes often, but how often

With bunny talking, I'm not sure how it works over there, but even if I went full time, I'd have another 5-6 years of school left, and I'm only going half time! HOly shit, that seems so much more thinking about it than it ever did :\.

On the other hand, I keep hearing alot of other well paying jobs. The girl working next to me is going to be a radiologist tech. Not all that many years of school and starts out at a good wage. I work in a pharmacy so I know pharmacists wages. Less school than the lawyer. Starting out straight out of school is excelent pay. They were talking today, even at the local retail pharmacy, the pay is phenomoal. 80k a year, starting out.

Now I dont know, I want to be one thing but the money is somewhere else. I know all the demand and work will be changed by the time I finish doing whatever. So a question for you all, would you go where the money is or where your interest is.

Sorry, I didn't think the post would end up being that long!

P.S. Yes, this is student, as I'm just starting school again and need to decide what way I'm going to go with it. MOst people decide while they're doing all their general courses, I've done all those now the only classes left to take are the ones for my major, so I can't just lollygag around trying outdiffernt ones or I'll be in school till I'm 57.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to be utterly awkward, but the answer is both. :p You've got to do something that interests you. Money isn't everything. You could be earning sackloads of money every week, and deep down, you may not be happy at all. Money isn't a good measure of happiness - not unless your name is Montgomery Burns, anyway. If you're interested in a certain area of employment, and you do well, you should be able to rise up to even better jobs on your own merit.
  • Options
    Good thinking. Who wants to think suicideal thoughts every morning before work even ify ou get paid good. That will iprobably be the general consensus, huh. It was a pretty stupid question to ask. I mean, how many people really are going to say, go with job that you have absoutly no interest in :p

I guess I'm just all ranty, sorry.

Thanks SG :):thumb:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Money isn't a good measure of happiness - not unless your name is Montgomery Burns, anyway.
    :yes: ... or bill gates :p
    go with what interests you.
  • Options
    I did accountancy, so clearly money actually is what interests me!
  • Options
    My friend just came out of Pharmacy school. Only took her 2 extra years and she'll be making 100k a year with Walgreens. It's all in your hands.