Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Help Needed in Choosing The University

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well friends, i am an international undergraduate student from India and have completed my 1st year in Electronics Engineering at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne with 71.5% marks. Now i am planning to plan to shift the University bcoz Newcastle's studies aren't that good. Also their job prospectus is also not very good.

I have recieved offers from King's College and Universty of Bristol. Now i can't decide which University should i be going to. I am on a scholarship of 2500 pounds per year at the University of Newcastle. But money is not important as it doesn't matter to me. I want to get the best possible education.

The rankings are misleading me. Last year King's was 6th Overall and 3rd in my field according to Guardian. Now Guardian says, King's is 7th Overall is not even in first 10 for my subject. Also, Sunday Times says King's is 13th overall while the Times says King's is 17th Overall.

I am really confused bcoz King's name is famous worldwide. We talk to anyone about King's College, they know about it. While for Bristol or Newcastle, they don't know.

Also, i am looking with the prospectus that i am looking forward to do my Postgraduation from Imperial or Cambridge. So, for that point of view which University should i choose.

Please help me in this regard.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Personally I would say stay where you are and save your money unless you are really rich and get good grades and do your post graduate wherever you like.

As a foreign student not from the EU you're probabaly paying 300% more then a UK student onthe same course so all universities want you, because quite simply you are worth 3 times in money value to them then a UK student. As long as your grades are good you should be able to go anywhere you want (within reason)

Personally I think you'll get a better out of class experience also in New Castle then in London
  • Options
    If you do change uni, it wouldn't just be the uni you're looking at. It would be how the teaching differs from the uni you're currently at and what the city is like.
  • Options
    I'm completely biased, but Newcastle is a fantastic city to live in and the universities (both Newcastle and Northumbria) are excellent. Though I suppose that differs depending on your course.

It is the best place in the UK to live, if you trust "Rough Guide..." on these matters (and you should) :)
  • Options
    I can only speak for Bristol here as I go there but it is fantastic. The city, the university. I guess with all the hoohaa about Oxford and Cambridge rejecting very bright people on the basis that they went to fee-paying schools (whatever they say, they DO have secret quotas to fill, everyone knows that) that places like Bristol are getting the people who would have otherwise got in. I think I'm right in saying that it's the most popular (most applied to) University in the UK.
  • Options
    I think I'm right in saying that it's the most popular (most applied to) University in the UK.
    actually Manchester uni is the most applied for (63,000) followed by Leeds. Bristol is in 7th place with 39,000.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    actually Manchester uni is the most applied for (63,000) followed by Leeds. Bristol is in 7th place with 39,000.
    I was surprised at first, I always thought the most applied to would be London. After all, London presumably has the biggest student population, being the capital city, but maybe not. One visit to Manchester is all it took to see why, however.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I was surprised at first, I always thought the most applied to would be London. After all, London presumably has the biggest student population, being the capital city, but maybe not. One visit to Manchester is all it took to see why, however.

They're not talking about cities, but universities you fool.

Anyway, as to the question, Kings is a kick ass uni if all things economically are equal then I'd advise going there.
  • Options
    I have recieved offers from King's College and Universty of Bristol. Now i can't decide which University should i be going to.

throw a coin. both are good universities.
  • Options
    Well friends, i am an international undergraduate student from India and have completed my 1st year in Electronics Engineering at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne with 71.5% marks. Now i am planning to plan to shift the University bcoz Newcastle's studies aren't that good. Also their job prospectus is also not very good.

I have recieved offers from King's College and Universty of Bristol. Now i can't decide which University should i be going to. I am on a scholarship of 2500 pounds per year at the University of Newcastle. But money is not important as it doesn't matter to me. I want to get the best possible education.

The rankings are misleading me. Last year King's was 6th Overall and 3rd in my field according to Guardian. Now Guardian says, King's is 7th Overall is not even in first 10 for my subject. Also, Sunday Times says King's is 13th overall while the Times says King's is 17th Overall.

I am really confused bcoz King's name is famous worldwide. We talk to anyone about King's College, they know about it. While for Bristol or Newcastle, they don't know.

Also, i am looking with the prospectus that i am looking forward to do my Postgraduation from Imperial or Cambridge. So, for that point of view which University should i choose.

Please help me in this regard.
    Despite being a biased Newcastle alumnus, I think Newcastle does have a good reputation for engineering. Don't pay too much attention to university rankings - the difference between 1st and 10th place might be a fraction of a percent extra spent on pointless research, or having a greater percentage of undergraduates from certain ethnic groups. Employers are interested in the university you went to, but all three you have mentioned are top quality universities. I'd have thought Bristol would be no more famous than Newcastle and it is not always the bigger name that gives you the best education.

If you are certain that you want to leave Newcastle, I'd go for King's over Bristol.

ps briggi - Northumbria "University" should be recognised as the polytechnic that it is. :p
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

My bad. Perhaps it's applications per place or something like that.

Bet you googled that just to prove me wrong didn't you :)
  • Options
    My bad. Perhaps it's applications per place or something like that.

Bet you googled that just to prove me wrong didn't you :)
    :yes: coz i knew it wasn't true :razz: