Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tax rebates

Well, I keep getting emergency taxed and its pissing me off. For example, last week I earned £260 but only saw £180.

I now only have one job which is my full time job.

Well anyways, I went to the tax office about my tax and they told me I needed a P45 from the student union (where I work THROUGHOUT term time) but I explained that I couldn't get one because I haven't actually left but am returning in September.

Well anyways, I went to the student union anyways because they told me if I didn't get a P45 then I would keep getting emergency tax taken off me.

Luckily, the union is giving me a P45 then putting me back on the books in September.

Well anyways, this P45 isn't gonna come through for a few weeks which means I am going to still get taxed like a bitch. Also, when I show this P45 the tax people, how soon will that emergency tax stop getting taken off me?

Will I get much of this back and if so, when? I need the cash so much :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Getting tax back generally depends on the efficience of both your tax office and whoever deals with your payroll. Mine this time were both fab, and I got it back in full in my wages the following month. But I had to wait until the arse end of last year (with several angry letters in between) for a rebate on work I did in summer 2002 due to someone somewhere along the line there being a total fuckup.

You don't NEED a P45 - I didn't have one when I started my current job, filled out a P46 (I think?) and all was dandy.

I'm also sure there are special tax forms for students and/or for people with more than one job. Joolyknockers would be able to tell you more, if she swings around these parts anytime soon. Have a gander on the IR website?
    i sent my p46 form (which is similar) off a month ago and still no change. Its mounted to nearly £300 the tax owes me.

*note i get paid weekly
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    kaffrin wrote:
    I'm also sure there are special tax forms for students

P38. Although I dont know whats it for. I filled one in and still get taxed a ton.
    Thats because you work throughout the term time.

The P38 stops students from getting taxed who don't work in term time and only work in the holidays.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Heh I never knew that, thank you!!

(Would also explain why I normally get taxed on £400 p/month but why I haven't been this month on £800 p/month!)
    Lol.

I used the P38 form last summer.

I had worked throughout the term time but still didn't get taxed :D

I didn't work in the last term though which was when we came into the new tax year
    Ask your only employer for a P46 - they should have a supply. Tick statement B to say it's your only or main job (which it is) and they will put you on 503L X. That will stop you from being taxed at basic rate in the meantime.

When you get your P45, hand it to your employer - NOT THE TAX OFFICE - a copy of your P45 is sent to us anyhow.Your employer can then update the payroll with your previous pay and tax details and any refund due will be paid through the payroll. How much you are refunded depends on how much you have paid and what your taxable pay to date is.

I hate employers that retain employees on the payroll just in case they come back. It's a pain in the arse.
    JsT wrote:
    Heh I never knew that, thank you!!

(Would also explain why I normally get taxed on £400 p/month but why I haven't been this month on £800 p/month!)

No it doesn't. £419 a month of your wages is covered by your personal allowance and therefore not taxed. It sounds like your tax code has been updated to include full personal allowances, nothing to do with a P38(s).

If you work for the same employer in the summer hols and term time then they should know not to let you fill out a P38(s) as you will end up being underpaid at the end of the year.
    Your job at the pub cavery place is your full time job, so give them your P45 from the job u just left, or fill out a P46 ticking statement B to say it's your only / main job.

With the other jobs you need to complete a P46 and tick statement C. Those jobs will then be taxed at 22% (basic rate) This is because all of your personal allowance will be already used up on your main employment.

Going on what you have said, you can't complete a P38(s) because you are working full time and it's not only in the xmas and summer holidays. It's only holiday jobs that are covered by the exemption as it's highly unlikey that you will exceed your personal allowance in that short period.

PM me if thats not all the info you need

Stacey - there is the reply I sent to your previous thread. Did you miss it or something?