Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Raunch: Is it liberating or destroying women?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I spend about half my time outside work in Jeans and a Hoodie, hardly what anyone would call raunch. If I'm going out with some of the guys I occasionally make the effort and dress up in a skirt and top that shows off my cleavage. I do it to prove I can be a girly girl as well as one of the lads and do it knowing I'll get wound up for doing so. I equally know that if the guys go to excessive effort to show off their assets they'll get mocked for it so its an equal balance.
    It's never an easy one to decide, really.

Personally I don't think it is liberating, but I don't especially think it is degrading either. It isn't liberating because it isn't free- you are still proscribed to act in a certain way, dress in a certain way, and look a certain way, otherwise you will not be successful. Stripping is not about what the woman wants, stripping is about what the man wants from it. That is not freedom, and that is not liberation.

Equally though its not degrading because, well, the woman wants to do it, and she benefits from it. Confidence sometimes, money always.

But the money aspect is an interesting one. Presumably your sister earns more money from her tits than she does from her brain, otherwise she wouldn't do it, no matter how much she enjoyed it- she doesn't do it for free, after all. And that's the important thing- women still earn more from their status as a fashion accessory than they do from their status as people. That is not about liberation or freedom or equality, and to try and claim it is is quite frankly ridiculous.
    Meh, it's the women's choice.

As long as the women feels good about herself, whether she's the town bike or a prim and proper vicar's daughter, that's all that matters.

I think we all have conceptions about what a person is like based on their appearence, or their job, or where they live........but you can never be sure of what someone is like until you know them.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    And that's the important thing- women still earn more from their status as a fashion accessory than they do from their status as people.

Lap dancers are not fasion accessory's - they're dancers, entertainers - I don't go to lap dancing clubs and look at the girls like they're on the shelf.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Lap dancers are not fasion accessory's - they're dancers, entertainers - I don't go to lap dancing clubs and look at the girls like they're on the shelf.
    I guess, I don't think I'd be that cool if my sister was doing that.
    Skive wrote:
    No, but if men don't fancy the girls the girls don't get paid. And I bet you don't share your cash out equally, you'll give more to the lass with the nice tits.

I don't think stripping is degrading to anyone, but it sure as hell isn't a wonderful fantastic liberating thing for women in general.
    Kermit wrote:
    No, but if men don't fancy the girls the girls don't get paid. And I bet you don't share your cash out equally, you'll give more to the lass with the nice tits.

Of course. There has always been a market for looking good - singers, actors, dancers, models - generally the better they look the better chance they have to succeed. That's just a harsh fact of human nature.

and it doesn't mean that I look at girls like consumer items.
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think stripping is degrading to anyone, but it sure as hell isn't a wonderful fantastic liberating thing for women in general.

I agree to an extent. It's liberating for my sister in the sense that it allows her to do earn some cash whilst doing something she enjoys. I just don't think it's a big deal.
    Weekender Offender 
    It depends on whether you think looking and acting like a whore is a bad thing...

Im disgusted by what I see on british streets every time I come back to the country...but im happy to accept that some people like acting like that and some guys like it....well they like to shag it, they wouldnt consider that kind of girl for anything serious..
    Balddog wrote:
    It depends on whether you think looking and acting like a whore is a bad thing...
    Who's looking and acting like a whore?
    Who's looking and acting like a whore?

The people we are discussing...Perhaps you should read the article that was posted by the thread starter.
    Balddog wrote:

Im disgusted by what I see on british streets every time I come back to the country...but im happy to accept that some people like acting like that and some guys like it....well they like to shag it, they wouldnt consider that kind of girl for anything serious..

Why don't you fuck off again then?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Why don't you fuck off again then?

How very mature of you skive...'If you dont like it, you can leave'...Its attitudes like that that are causing so many problems...Nobody can criticise anything, no dissent in the ranks? Pathetic..

Im not gonna apologise for finding half naked women throwing up over themselves distasteful...Or for walking home at night and not enjoying the sight of girls pissed out of their heads with their tits waving around...

I have as much right to my opinion as you to yours...You would do well to remember that.
    Im also a little unsure about what I said to deserve that response...but i guess that shows whats become of these boards...
    Ah...I just read back and saw your sister is a lapdancer...Well pull their stick out of your arse and stop taking things so personally...I have no problem with lapdancers and strippers, or even actual hookers...

My issue is with normal girls who act like animals when theyre out on the town....
    Balddog wrote:
    The people we are discussing...Perhaps you should read the article that was posted by the thread starter.
    I've read the article. It didn't mention anything about girls offering sex in return for money, or acting in such a way that suggested they were. Still nice to know that judging people based on appearances isn't beyond you.
    Balddog wrote:
    Im also a little unsure about what I said to deserve that response...but i guess that shows whats become of these boards...

Skive wrote:
    It's liberating for my sister in the sense that it allows her to do earn some cash whilst doing something she enjoys. I just don't think it's a big deal.
    Balddog wrote:
    Weekender Offender 
    I've read the article. It didn't mention anything about girls offering sex in return for money, or acting in such a way that suggested they were. Still nice to know that judging people based on appearances isn't beyond you.

Appearances?

I was back in sheffield on monday...I was there for 3 hours and i saw several people fucking outside various pubs...and saw girls acting like total slappers everywhere...

Perhaps whore was too literal a word given this thread....Slags/sluts/slappers...is that better?
    Balddog wrote:
    and saw girls acting like total slappers everywhere...
    How does one "act like a total slapper" out of interest?
    Balddog wrote:
    Well pull their stick out of your arse and stop taking things so personally...

OK maybe it wasn't intended as I first saw it, but with the way that came out how do expect me not to take it personally?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:

You obviously have a personal bias here so I understand why you were so childish in your first reply...

Its great that your sister enjoys the job but youre deluding yourself if you think that lots of those girls arent prostitutes...You arent the only one with similar experiences.
    You saw people fucking outside pubs - yet you're only disgusted by the women behaviour?
    Weekender Offender 
    How does one "act like a total slapper" out of interest?

Are you actualy simple or are you just being deliberately stubborn? I gave an example in the previous sentence..and mentioned it earlier.

If you get drunk and wave your tits around in public...If you suck a guys dick outside the door to tescos...if you pass out on the floor while wearing a skirt and no pants...

In my opinion, youre a slapper....
    Skive wrote:
    You saw people fucking outside pubs - yet you're only disgusted by the women behaviour?

Im sorry...Does the thread title ask if raunch is destroying WOMEN or not? I must have misread it cos I swear it does say just that...

Im equally disgusted by the behaviour of many men as well....but I thought I would actually reply to the topic being discussed rather than go off on a tangent.
    Balddog wrote:
    You obviously have a personal bias here so I understand why you were so childish in your first reply...

An what is an adult repsonse to somebody calling your sister a whore?
    Balddog wrote:
    Its great that your sister enjoys the job but youre deluding yourself if you think that lots of those girls arent prostitutes...

None of the girls my sister works with, infact several are married with children.
    But yes there are likely to be be seedier places where such behaviour does go on.

I think you'd be a fool to assume that just because a girl does a bit of topless dancing there's a good chance she a prostitute.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    An what is an adult repsonse to somebody calling your sister a whore?

I never called your sister a whore....Im sorry your overdefensiveness blinded you...I said I have a problem with the girls looking and acting like whores...I was replying to the article in the first post, not to you....You took it to be a personal attack on you....You were mistaken...The first post is about women in general, not those who specifically work in the stripping/modelling industry where such things are mandatory anyway.

None of the girls my sister works with, infact several are married with children.
    But yes there are likely to be be seedier places where such behaviour does go on.

I think you'd be a fool to assume that just because a girl does a bit of topless dancing there's a good chance she a prostitute.

Again, where did I say that? You are just making things up now...I said a lot of girls who do topless dancing are also hookers...I did not say that BECAUSE they do topless dancing they are hookers...They work in places that sexually arouse men in exchange for money...It is a prime place for hookers to ply their trade...If you are honest with yourself, you know its true.
    Balddog wrote:
    I did not say that BECAUSE they do topless dancing they are hookers...

Fucking hell. Time for you to read my posts properly. I didn't say that.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Fucking hell. Time for you to read my posts properly. I didn't say that.

You said im assuming that because a girl topless dances theres a good chance shes a hooker...

I wasnt saying that the two were connected in that way....There are tons of dancers who are just dancers..but there are also tons who will suck your dick for a 50...Thats all im saying..

but thats off the subject as well...I wasnt even talking about the girls who dance...just replying to the original poster...jesus...
    Balddog wrote:
    I never called your sister a whore....Im sorry your overdefensiveness blinded you...I said I have a problem with the girls looking and acting like whores...I was replying to the article in the first post, not to you....You took it to be a personal attack on you....You were mistaken...The first post is about women in general, not those who specifically work in the stripping/modelling industry where such things are mandatory anyway.

But that's not what it looked like with your reply about whores coming straight after my post about my sister, and I would have thought you'd understand that, but instead you carry on with comments about a stick and childish comments. Fuck you.

I can't say I agree with your view that ladies who wear revealing clothing and drink a lot on a night out are behaving like whores either, or slags, or slappers or whatever you like to call it. They're entilted to have a good time.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    But that's not what it looked like with your reply about whores coming straight after my post about my sister, and I would have thought you'd understand that, but instead you carry on with comments about a stick and childish comments. Fuck you.

I can't say I agree with your view that ladies who wear revealing clothing and drink a lot on a night out are behaving like whores either, or slags, or slappers or whatever you like to call it. They're entilted to have a good time.

Fuck me? You even accepted you might have taken it wrongly earlier...If I was replying to you, I would have quoted you....I replied to the original thread post in the thread.

The stick comment was because youre obviously taking this personally for very obvious reasons..Telling me to fuck off simply because you misread my first post.

and looking back, it doesnt even make sense that you would read my comment as a direct reply to you...the post previous to mine was part of a convo you were having with kermit..my comment makes no sense as a reply to that...I even said on british streets in my reply..If i was referring to your sister why the hell would I say that?

and my childish comment was fully justified..instead of actually trying to discuss anything, like a rational adult would, you just tell me to fuck off....and have now done it again..

As for the latter part of your post, which is actually reasonable....Where did I say its because of their clothes and drinking? Its their behaviour....They are entitled to have a good time...and im entitled to my opinion...I think a girl sucking a random guys cock in public view is a dirty slag...If you disagree then so be it...
    \