Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Good customer service

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When have you experienced good customer service?

I sent Antec an e-mail last week, saying my Sonata case front panel was a bit faulty. Without confirming whether I actually owned one or not, they've sent me a new front panel!!! :D Just asked for my address.

Where in the world do you find such helpful customer service? Your experiences?

Comments

• Options
    Dixons. A few times I'vew had to return stuff to them. Everytime it's like 'what's your problem?' 'Can I have your reciept please?' (Proof of purchase) They go somewhere for a few minutes, give me what I want and sometimes give me back some money because what I bought the previous time cost slightly more...

Amazon are good as well - I ordered something off them which took months to turn up. Before it turned up (few weesk or so) I emailed them and told them that I haven't been sent my order. They apologised and gave me a free £5 gift voucher.
  • Options
    Had really good customer service at a bar on Sunday. Guy was really nice, was asking us about the footie etc. Tipped him.

Had a right wanker today though. Bought petrol from the garage and went in to pay for it. The guy told me the amount and I just went ahead and whacked my card in the reader. Then he pulled it out and was like 'I haven't even rung your fuel up yet. I'm not that fast. I'm not a computer', but he said it in a really sarcky tone... So I held up my hand and was like' oh right, sorry'. And then he got all pissy because I held my hands up. Then we were *overly* nice to each other after that. Wanker. [/rant]
  • Options
    yesterday in h&m. i was buying something that was reduced and when it came up on the till it had the full price so i just politely said 'i thought it was half price' and she realllllly rudely said 'give me a minute'. okay so that doesn't sound rude but she was!

having worked on the tills at tesco for 4.5 years..i urge you to thank the person you receive good service off. makes the job a little more bearable and people are so easy to complain.
  • Options
    yesterday in h&m. i was buying something that was reduced and when it came up on the till it had the full price so i just politely said 'i thought it was half price' and she realllllly rudely said 'give me a minute'. okay so that doesn't sound rude but she was!

having worked on the tills at tesco for 4.5 years..i urge you to thank the person you receive good service off. makes the job a little more bearable and people are so easy to complain.

Till people rule! We rule!!
  • Options
    I felt really chuffed after ringing tesco car insurance customer service yesterday, so much so that i was too going to make a thread about good customer service!

It was just nice that i could understand the man to begin with, he was helpful, understood me too, and got the problem sorted straight away
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    good old tesco, always quote people happy.

isnt that norwich union that quote u happy? :razz:

but yes good ol tesco
  • Options
    Our server last night at dinner was lovely. He was so friendly. Talked to us for a bit, always made sure our drinks were full and everything was good. Ed got a side of cinnamon apples and said, maybe they can pile them high today, so he brought him two things of it. Had a little convo about he moose collisions that were on the news on tv there. I love friendly servers.

Sure beats the woman from Tuesday. She was a total dingbat :\
  • Options
    i rang o2 to upgrade on tuesday and they said they were expecting a new delivery of them on the 30th so i could expect it next week but i got it today. :D

just got to wait for it to charge now...:grump:
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Till people rule! We rule!!

i've been there aggggges now and only 1 customer has gone out of their way to speak to a section manager and say how lovely i was. don't get me wrong, i'm not reallly horrible! a few customers thank me themselves for a nice service but it's nice when someone goes out of their way to say nice things instead of to grumble.
  • Options
    I've never had anything but really good experiences with First Direct.
  • Options
    I consider good customer service from a person someone who feels like they have gone out their way to help me, who has a friendly chit chat with me, a bit of a laugh etc and who is polite.

I just described my own customer service i give to customers, have had a few people go and tell my manager how great i was and that they felt they should know it.

I haven experienced good customer service recently
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I never notice really good customer service as it is something that I expect. When I was on tills I was always polite and whenever I go into a shop / enquire about something I am always polite.

It is *bad* customer service I remember. We have had poor customer service in our local B&Q in the past. It is this that I remember more.
  • Options
    Theres always this really chirpy woman on the Kiosk in Sainburys in the morning, Bless her
  • Options

I get so wound up with bad customer service, and I've always found Tescos to be really bad for it! Obviously I'm not including you in that, I've never been through your till! But there's been so many times I've walked away from tills things like - 'Nowt like good customer service!' and 'Cashback? No? Fancy asking?' It really gets on my nerves. Asda's the same, and a load of the young lasses at Morrisons (and you tend to get better service when you actually work there, I find, so God knows what they're like with 'proper' customers!)

I don't even expect exceptionally good customer service, y'know? The automatic pleases and thankyous do me fine, however monotonous. It's nice if you get a laugh and a chat but on a long shift you can only be happy smiley for so long and I appreciate that. What I really cannot bear is straight out bad customer service. Like when you're going through the checkout and the lass on the till is too busy having a chat with the girl behind them to realise you're standing there. Or, one that really sticks in my mind is going to top-up my mobile one night and the lass who did it didn't say one single word to me throughout the entire transaction. I couldn't believe it.

There's just no need.

ETA: Last time I called O2 up I had a really nice guy who sorted me out the best deal for me, and actually listened when I told him that the average amount of texts and call time since I got my contract isn't reflective of how much I'm using now, and hence why I wanted to change my contract. That really impressed me, especially cos the guy I spoke to before him told me a load of crap and fobbed me off with excuses, and I always expect to get bad customer service from O2, not sure why?

Had great customer service today when I did some shopping after work, the guy on the till was great and I know he's consistent cos as we left my mum said to me - 'do you know him? I've been through his till a few times, he seems such a nice bloke.' Morrisons has won The Grocer Magazine's Customer Service award two years running (:thumb:) so we should be pretty damn good, but I think we're as hit and miss as anywhere else, really.
  • Options
    EVERYONE in my local Tesco is really really nice. Always smiling, little chat about the kids, the weather, how bored/tired/excited we are. The manager offered me a job there and I was soo temtped because I know I'd get on with everyone but I also know myself and couped up in a shop just won't work for me and I'd only end up letting people down etc. Big Tescos is similarly staffed but the massive one is full of android knob heads...
  • Options
    Good service = when someone knows how to do their job and can do it quickly. Contrary to popular belief by the supermarkets, customers do not see shopping as a 'social experience', we want to get in, get what we want and be out as quick as possible - so please, less of the chatting and just get on with it. Nothing wrong with being cheerful and pleasant but while they're having a chat with the person they're serving, the rest of the people in the queue are waiting.

If something goes wrong please don't call over about 4 people from other tills because that means the customers queuing up there will be held up.

And if you get it wrong, say sorry dammit!

In the case of call centres, good service can be summed up in one sentence: don't outsource to India.
  • Options
    I'm on the tills and I dont tend to chat much, but thats just cos i concentrate on what im doing. I do of course, greet them politely / friendlyly and say bye and smile. Just when I'm actually scanning the items a conversation never comes up. I think I'm a bit deaf too, people say things sometimes and I look up to see if they said something and they're looking at me, like they're waiting for a response, but I had no clue what they said.

Probably why I don't tend to stay on the checkouts most of the time :p
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Err no, YOU want that. Plenty of people do see shopping as a social experience and want to chat with the sales assistant, in particular older people, and it's an important part of good customer service to be friendly and chat to those people. Obviously you shouldn't hold up the queue, but I always liked it when people engaged me in chat when I was working on a till, mainly because it made me feel like they understood that I was a human being who was there to be treated nicely and with respect, and not just a machine or robot designed to serve the customer's every whim.

Sorry to see you fell in to the trap of not actually reading my post ;)

I said there's nothing wrong in being pleasant but chatting with the customer when there's a queue of people waiting should be a sackable offence in my opinion. Chatting while serving them is fine - holding other people up is not.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I did read your post.

What I was reacting to was you saying "we want to get in and out as soon as possible, we do not want a chat" when that's what YOU want, not what everyone wants.

Ok, the vast majority? Watch what happens when someone is taking their time at the till - does everyone else in the queue look like they want to be there?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    So again you're not reading my posts :D

I said there's nothing wrong in chatting with the customer but doing it when people are waiting should be a sackable offence IMO.
    sophia wrote:
    I had to stand there for nine hours, the customer is there five minutes, so I'm not going to change my entire approach to work because you're in a hurry.

So when I'm coming to the end of my lunch break I'll be sure to avoid the shop you worked in ;)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I agree with Sophia.

It's a matter of communication more than anything else, other than telling them how much it cost.
    "Grunt... ...£9.37" is crap customer service, you're likely to get more humanity from a vending machine.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Well, unless you own or manage a shop, fortunately your opinion doesn't count for much. If you don't like the employees in the shop, you're free to take your business elsewhere...

Thanks, I'm glad I now have your permission...

sophia wrote:
    Well I wouldn't have given a shit tbh, I got paid the same whether we were busy or not.

And that's the very reason service tends to be so bad in the UK with attitudes as yours. Notice the second word in 'customer service'? Yeah that's right, 'service' - you 'serve'. I'm not asking for the red carpet treatment, to be honest I get uncomfortable with being called 'sir'. But if you're in customer service then should accomodate the customer's needs wherever possible.
    sophia wrote:
    People can only work as fast as they can work, and that's it. I'm not going to give myself a heart attack with pressure because people don't get to the shops in time or are running late.

I'm not saying you have to rush - far from it. But if the customer is clearly in a rush, it's not your place to decide whether his/her need is unimportant enough for you to ignore.
    sophia wrote:
    I'll work as hard as I can, at the fastest pace at which i can work, and if it's not good enough, you can put your goods down and walk out.

Thanks, I'm grateful I have your permission for that too.
    sophia wrote:
    No one's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to shop there, after all.

True no-one is holding a gun to my head but when there's only one 'convenience' shop between my home and workplace, my options are severely reduced.
  • Options
    I said there's nothing wrong in chatting with the customer but doing it when people are waiting should be a sackable offence IMO.
    Why though? It's not like they're sitting down for an in depth getting to know you session with every customer, they're having a chit chat as they are working so I dont know how that would hold a queue up, some people can multi task you know.
  • Options
    Of course, customers like you are a pleasure to process as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    Why though? It's not like they're sitting down for an in depth getting to know you session with every customer, they're having a chit chat as they are working so I dont know how that would hold a queue up, some people can multi task you know.

Perhaps this only happens at my local tesco but I see it happen often. While a till operator is scanning a customer's goods, they are chatting away with them - nothing wrong with that at all.

But once the goods have been paid for and packed away, they are still nattering, regardless of the fact that others are waiting. I tend to go in the between 1 and 2 in the afternoon, clearly a busy time for people on their lunch breaks so you think these people would be mindful of avoiding doing that.