Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bastard mobile speed cameras

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I hate those fucking vans, they're there purely to catch you out. Bastards.

My mum has been done twice for speeding in a 30 limit (doing 32, and 35) and was fined £60 and 3 points on her licence for both instances.

Nobody gets done for 32mph in a 30mph limit. A realistic tolerance(10% unless in rather exceptional circumstances) is applied when catching people speeding. And, by default, virtually all car speedometers will be over-reading by 3-5mph at 32mph - I'd guess that 35mph was indicated on her speedo. At a real 35mph, it'll have said around 38-39mph.

I'm not a fan of camera vans. It's a good idea but poorly executed - they park on the pavement, hide behind bushes, and don't tend to be anywhere near a school at kicking-out time(around here anyway).

I've no time for them on most dual-carriageways or motorways. If I spot them I aim to go past them at double the limit. And when they're in a residential area, but parked like tossers, I'll either go past them in first gear at the speed limit, or make the bike do a biiig backfire when I'm at the side of the van. Hopefully someone burns their lap with their cup of coffee :).

Ignition kill-switches are excellent ;).
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    if you have run-flat tyres, do you become invincible? i have these... :chin:

Nope. They'll get you with the webbing ;).
    MrG wrote:
    wel i think people who go dangerously above the speed limit should be shown pictues (graphic ones) that show the effects of multilated and dead bleeding bodies with massive injuries etc, resultant from crashes

It wouldn't slow me down, to be honest. I speed for myself, because I enjoy the rush. I only go quickly on roads that I'm familiar with, and when conditions are good.

At what point does speed become dangerous? 80mph? 120mph? 160mph? There is no blanket cut-off - I can show you roads in the UK that are safe at any of the speeds mentioned above, when in a properly-maintained vehicle, with no traffic and good conditions...
  • Options
    The real problem are people who habitually speed. That's people who actually race up and down stretches of road, or people who do the same journey every day, so they think they know the roads really well (both of these groups will know where the speed cameras are). Actual policing would solve this, but that's too much to ask. Incidentally, the number of accidents went up for something like 5 years since cameras were introduced, then they went down last year, and all of a sudden, it was because of the cameras. :rolleyes: What have they been doing for the previous 5 years then?

Anyway, Top Gear showed how to avoid getting caught by speed cameras. If you're going over about 150mph, they don't have time to photograph you. So there you go, you know what to do now.

The things that really annoy me though are speed bumps. How are they allowed to put something on the road that fucks up your car?

I also remember seeing a town centre in Holland I think, which had had all of the road markings and signs removed, and had blurred the lines between the pedestrian area and the road. The result was that everyone had to be more careful, so cars drove slowly, and pedestrians actually looked where they are going, unlike what they do on crossings here.
  • Options

The things that really annoy me though are speed bumps. How are they allowed to put something on the road that fucks up your car?

i guess the idea is you drive slow enough for them not to damage your car.

near where i'm at uni there's a few roads with LOADS of speedbumps and one particular day, whenever we went over a speedbump my boobs hurt. :(
  • Options
    i guess the idea is you drive slow enough for them not to damage your car.
    Well I know that's the idea, but they're proven to wreck cars. You have to drive a certain speed to get over them, but that's too fast to avoid damaging your car, particularly if it's smaller. Ironically, a 4x4 will have no problem getting over them quickly, and what will do more damage if it hits someone?
  • Options
    The real problem are people who habitually speed. That's people who actually race up and down stretches of road, or people who do the same journey every day, so they think they know the roads really well (both of these groups will know where the speed cameras are). Actual policing would solve this, but that's too much to ask. Incidentally, the number of accidents went up for something like 5 years since cameras were introduced, then they went down last year, and all of a sudden, it was because of the cameras. :rolleyes: What have they been doing for the previous 5 years then?

Anyway, Top Gear showed how to avoid getting caught by speed cameras. If you're going over about 150mph, they don't have time to photograph you. So there you go, you know what to do now.

I also remember seeing a town centre in Holland I think, which had had all of the road markings and signs removed, and had blurred the lines between the pedestrian area and the road. The result was that everyone had to be more careful, so cars drove slowly, and pedestrians actually looked where they are going, unlike what they do on crossings here.

On a bike forum I'm on, they say if you go past a police car / van fast enough they think they're probably not going to catch up so there's no point, apparently. :chin: Wouldn't try it myself though.
  • Options
    If you go past them at 100mph, they know that you'll be going at 150mph before they've even pulled off. Common sense dictates that they'd have to be travelling far faster than you to catch you up from a standing start, and that's just not going to happen. :)

I don't do it, though I do nail it past the camera vans if I'm in the mood. :)
  • Options
    i think all speed cameras should be hidden and not signed to be honest

but to account for this i'd like there to be more speed limit signs so that i dont forget the speed limit then get caught

im one of the "dont speed in the first place then you cant get caught" clan, btw
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    i think all speed cameras should be hidden and not signed to be honest
    Why surely that negates there purpose of making people slow down? Unless you're supporting speed cameras purely as a money-making scheme?
  • Options
    Why surely that negates there purpose of making people slow down? Unless you're supporting speed cameras purely as a money-making scheme?

well no because if there were shit loads and they were all hidden, it may make people speed less because they cant slow down for them, due to not knowing they are there. Therefore people would hopefully stick to speed limits

i dont see the point in people *just* slowing down for the speed cameras then speeding for the rest of the time.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Blah wrote:
    well no because if there were shit loads and they were all hidden, it may make people speed less because they cant slow down for them, due to not knowing they are there. Therefore people would hopefully stick to speed limits

i dont see the point in people *just* slowing down for the speed cameras then speeding for the rest of the time.

Totally right.

The whole speed camera attitude this country has pisses me off. And those who "speed up to 150 mph" just for the cameras is the most dangerous, selfish attitude of them all.

I think blah's idea would work. People would generally be more inclined to stick to the limits.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    going 80 in heavy rain on the motorway is far more dangerous than going 110 on clear dry day. :yes:

A friend of mine got pulled over for doing 110mph in a 70mph zone (motorway I think) but just got asked if he was stupid (his friend was like 'yes'), got taken to a police car for something and nothing more was done...:confused:
  • Options
    I think blah's idea would work. People would generally be more inclined to stick to the limits.

Woo! Lets get more people on the road without insurance, tax or MOT shall we? Because that is precisely what more and more people will do.

If speed cameras were used in sensible locations, and if limits on non-NSL roads were more sensible, then people would be likely to obey the speed limits.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Sofie wrote:
    A friend of mine got pulled over for doing 110mph in a 70mph zone (motorway I think) but just got asked if he was stupid (his friend was like 'yes'), got taken to a police car for something and nothing more was done...:confused:

I've been pulled doing 75 in 40 and been let off. All the gaver wanted to know was if my car was stolen. :lol:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Woo! Lets get more people on the road without insurance, tax or MOT shall we? Because that is precisely what more and more people will do.

If speed cameras were used in sensible locations, and if limits on non-NSL roads were more sensible, then people would be likely to obey the speed limits.

changing the speed limits wouldnt stop people from speeding, people will never be satisfied with the speed they are going: if the national speed limit was 80 people would want to go 100. some people always have to go faster. Proven by your first comment about more people without insurance, tax and MOT- thats the legnths people go to just to go faster.

Its sad. And unecessary

What amuses me is people who speed, blaming accidents on the people that obey the limits. The amount of times ive been sat in my car doing *just* above the speed limit, literally *everyone* has to overtake me, whether its safe or not to do so. And its those people who cause the accidents
  • Options
    Nobody gets done for 32mph in a 30mph limit. A realistic tolerance(10% unless in rather exceptional circumstances) is applied when catching people speeding. And, by default, virtually all car speedometers will be over-reading by 3-5mph at 32mph - I'd guess that 35mph was indicated on her speedo. At a real 35mph, it'll have said around 38-39mph.
    She was told on the 'speeding course' that she attended that her speed on camera was 32mph. :chin:
  • Options
    I hate those fucking vans, they're there purely to catch you out. Bastards.

My mum has been done twice for speeding in a 30 limit (doing 32, and 35) and was fined £60 and 3 points on her licence for both instances.
    I think it's absurd that for someone doing 90 on a motorway and gets caught, gets the same treatment. There's no difference between doing 20mph over the limit, or 2mph.

Why isn't it tiered? Why aren't speeders fined certain amounts of money in relation to how many over the limit they were driving at? :no:

Done for doing 32?

I always thought the guide was camera don't go off unless you're doing at least 10% over the speed limit - every car's speedo dial is different. I've had my GPS in my uncle's car and when his Speedo says 70 my GPS reckons he's doing 60 MPH and seeing as it rely on about $15 Billion worth of US miltary equipment to work I reckon the GPS is more likely to be correct then his old Nissan.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I've been pulled doing 75 in 40 and been let off. All the gaver wanted to know was if my car was stolen. :lol:

LOL One of my friends which was involved, did tell me that they don't tell you that they let you off if you're doing 10% over + something...:confused:
  • Options
    150mph to avoid speed cameras? Are you sure?
    I'm sure that it's about 850mph.

I think motorway speed limits are bollocks. They were about right in the 60s, but most cars don't tend to blow up when they do over 70 these days.
    They also tend to be a bit more stable.

Maybe enforced variable speed limits for different conditions would be useful.

I'm also of the opinion that stupid people shouldn't be allowed near vehicles. It is the stupid cunts that don't drive according to the conditions that cause problems. This includes driving over 30 in a 30 zone, for instance.
    I think speed limits in residential areas are about right.
  • Options
    yesterday in porth madog ...the coppers eyeball van was actualy parked on the pavement and causing problems for women with pushchairs.
    i was there again today with a mind to photograph them and then do a citezens arrest.
    they weren't there.
    next time ...i will have my revenge.
  • Options
    yesterday in porth madog ...the coppers eyeball van was actualy parked on the pavement and causing problems for women with pushchairs.

There was a really narrow road and a friend of mine had to stop on it to post something. So, being the man he is, he decides to half park on the road and half on the pavement. He got a ticket for it...:yeees:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    See people, if you are going to speed, this is why a detector is a good investment. And do it quick, they might make htem illegal soon so you cnat buy one! I shall be getting one. With the GPS locations for standard cameras.

But anyway. I think it is 175 the actual speed to avoid a camera. Also try using an RPG launcher to avoid getting a ticket on the fuckers.

Or of course, mount your reg plate so it isn't visible from the angle.

Also, the Japanese street racers have a new thing, where they have a small electric motor mounted to the plate. At the flick of a switch inside, the plate folds down so it isn't visible. Genius!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Also, the Japanese street racers have a new thing, where they have a small electric motor mounted to the plate. At the flick of a switch inside, the plate folds down so it isn't visible. Genius!

Wasn't that on a film? Whatyamaccalit.... Transporter 1/2. :thumb:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    See people, if you are going to speed, this is why a detector is a good investment. And do it quick, they might make htem illegal soon so you cnat buy one! I shall be getting one. With the GPS locations for standard cameras.!

I had a GPS yesterat onthe M4 and M25 that has the location of Cameras, only updated it 2 days ago and either it had camera marked I just couldn't see or was missing a few.

I'd say about 70% of it was correct though

I think for a modern car and in perfect road conditions 80 MPH is fine and should be the speed limit on a good motorway like the M4, yesterday there were many 5 MPH sections and I was finding it much harder to drive at 50 MPH then 70 MPH - I'd definetly say I took my eyes off the road a lot more to check my speedo during the 50 MPG zones then when it was just normal speeds.

The problems are't so much speed but the stupid distances most people don't leave between themselves and the car infront.
  • Options
    I'm probably gonna get an entire army on my back.. but I like to speed...but in a safe way...

On country lanes which I know like the back of my hand and could drive down blind folded I'll open my throttle up. Knowing exactly where I need to break, etc.

On motor ways I just open throttle and go down the outside lane, in clear weather. I also have to admit I can't drive behind someone. If they're doing the speed limit exactly... I'll still over take them... even if I end up slowing down to the speed limit myself...

I also find I concentrate more when speeding. If I'm not speeding I'm usually looking at the scenary, day-dreaming or just randomly thinking, however, if I am driving I'm watching the road, I'm preparing for emergencies and I'm ready to slam my breaks on.

Ideally I would like to see the speed laws changed. Stationary cameras are just a stupid idea. Not only are they usually reflective, so you normally have to be blind to be caught by one...if you drive down the road at the limit, you can spot the camera, remember where it is and red-line your car all the way to it, slow down, and then red-line away from it again. I think the best plan would be to punish people who speed in residential areas and just leave the motor ways as a "Recommended" limit...

I suppose it is just one of those things. Even if the limit got changed to 40, people would still do 50. If it got changed to 60, people would still do 70. As I said, I like to speed and I know there is only one way I will ever stop speeding...be involved in a crash due to my speed. I know it sounds wrong, but I refuse to believe I'm not in control of my vehicle and as such think I'm a safe driver...

Stuck up maybe... but... it's how I drive :(
  • Options
    Saul wrote:
    I like to speed and I know there is only one way I will ever stop speeding...be involved in a crash due to my speed. I know it sounds wrong, but I refuse to believe I'm not in control of my vehicle and as such think I'm a safe driver...

unfortunatly this is the only way most people will learn, and it often costs other people their lives.

I was in a car accident, where the driver was speeding down a country lane she extremely knew well. The driver was only inches away from having a metal pole in her head, she walked away with no injuries and im still suffering now (over a year later)

The thing is with controlled speeding, is you dont know what other drivers are going to do, or when they are going to appear. Maybe you should think about that. Driving isnt *just* about knowing what you, yourself is doing.
  • Options
    Saul wrote:
    I know there is only one way I will ever stop speeding...be involved in a crash due to my speed. I know it sounds wrong, but I refuse to believe I'm not in control of my vehicle and as such think I'm a safe driver...

Fucking pillock.

Hopefully this crash will be into a block of concrete and not involve anyone else.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I live in the New Forest which mean that because of animals the fastest highest speed limit round here is only 40mph. Now when your driving up on the heath (on the flat) that speed is stupidly slow.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Fucking pillock.

Hopefully this crash will be into a block of concrete and not involve anyone else.

Fingers crossed. The only good speeder is a dead speeder.

Wow, he knows the country lanes like the back of his hand. So what? Do you have x-ray glasses that can see through hedges?
  • Options
    Saul wrote:
    I'm probably gonna get an entire army on my back.. but I like to speed...but in a safe way...

On country lanes which I know like the back of my hand and could drive down blind folded I'll open my throttle up. Knowing exactly where I need to break, etc.

On motor ways I just open throttle and go down the outside lane, in clear weather. I also have to admit I can't drive behind someone. If they're doing the speed limit exactly... I'll still over take them... even if I end up slowing down to the speed limit myself...

I also find I concentrate more when speeding. If I'm not speeding I'm usually looking at the scenary, day-dreaming or just randomly thinking, however, if I am driving I'm watching the road, I'm preparing for emergencies and I'm ready to slam my breaks on.

None of what you've just described is safe. It sounds like you drive like a cock because you think you know what is going to happen. "preparing for emergencies" and being ready to slam brakes on is not a good way to drive, it's a good way to crash. If you're speeding and something comes into your path causing you to slam your brakes on, chances are that you'll hit it.

You think you're driving safely because you don't deal with anything out of the ordinary and don't plan for it to happen. You think that a road is going to be the same on any given day. You're wrong.

I hope that when you do crash noone else suffers from it.