Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bastard mobile speed cameras

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so before the "Speed kills" brigade decide to post, bear in mind that speed cameras haven't actually been proven to extensively work and have been proven to increase accidents in some cases.

One of these fuckers has been parked up at the side of a very busy road near me for the past few days, practically driven into a 40 zone sign, trying to catch people who speed up for the 40 that second too soon. Summer holiday fund must obviously be lacking but anyway. Seeing as the cameras are 'Safety cameras" now, which are actually designed to remind you of the speed limit and not make money (hah), i've taken to driving at about 15mph up the road. This causes a massive build up of traffic behind me, meaning nobody gets caught. However, the camera operators didn't appear to be so appreciatative of me keeping the roads safe and slow, judging by the angry gestures and menacing pointing at me. I can't think why?

To give this thread some point, who thinks that the lawbreaking hypocritical cunts should be banned from sitting on double yellows at the side of the road? And who thinks that "You shouldn't be speeding, then you won't get caught"?

Comments

• Options
    Wouldn't it be a shame one day to accidentally crash into one of their vans.

Whilst driving my tank.

:chin:

I've never been caught speeding, even when I was speeding. But motorbikes have more leeway, apparently, and I was wearing a high-vis shirt so the police behind me (yes, poor observation) probably didn't mind too much. And it was an overtaking manouvre :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Bunch o cunts! :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    "You shouldn't be speeding, then you won't get caught"?

Equals me.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:

Me too. Its not like you arent given a good few miles an hour over the limit already before you get a ticket.
  • Options
    The police probably have better things that they could be doing, but if you're not speeding, you won't get caught, and excessive speed is the single greatest cause of car accidents in this country, something like 43%.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    excessive speed is the single greatest cause of car accidents in this country, something like 43%.

It not high speeds that kill, it's going faster than the conditions call for.

eg, going 80 in heavy rain on the motorway is far more dangerous than going 110 on clear dry day. :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    indeed, excessive. Sometimes people forget that they need to consider the fact that there are children in the vicinity, and that other people are stupid.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    indeed, excessive. Sometimes people forget that they need to consider the fact that there are children in the vicinity, and that other people are stupid.

The problem with the police though is they quite often set up mobile traps on fast dual carriage ways where going 80 really isn't any danger, just so that they can get some revenue and bump up their figures.

There's a section of road near me where the road changes from dual carriageway to a single carriage way with an overtaking lane (ie. 70 to 60) and the gavers sit 100 yards up the road almost twice a week. They must make a fortune.

There have never been any accidents there, there arn't any houses for miles around, it's just fucking silly.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    The problem with the police though is they quite often set up mobile traps on fast dual carriage ways where going 80 really isn't any danger, just so that they can get some revenue and bump up their figures.

And with that I do have some sympathy, motorways are the safest place to drive. But, speeding in a built up area - no excuse.
  • Options
    Look at it this way. If EVERYONE stuck to the speed limits then the speed cameras and mobile units would end up costing the police money overall and they'd cut down or stop and then more than likely be able to plough the resources into something else.

I'm not denying that they use it as a money making exercise and not crime reduction policy but if you don't speed and stick to the rules then you've got shag all to worry about or indeed complain about.
  • Options
    I'm not denying that they use it as a money making exercise and not crime reduction policy but if you don't speed and stick to the rules then you've got shag all to worry about or indeed complain about.

I don't agree with the speed limits we have so I think I'm entitled to complain. It's not proper police work, it's more a money makign scheme. And that pisses me off.

We had a couple of fixed cameras put up on a road near us. I know a bloke who'd been caught stick old tyre round it and stuck a match to it. :thumb:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:

This is my way of thinking!
  • Options
    I hate those fucking vans, they're there purely to catch you out. Bastards.

My mum has been done twice for speeding in a 30 limit (doing 32, and 35) and was fined £60 and 3 points on her licence for both instances.
    I think it's absurd that for someone doing 90 on a motorway and gets caught, gets the same treatment. There's no difference between doing 20mph over the limit, or 2mph.

Why isn't it tiered? Why aren't speeders fined certain amounts of money in relation to how many over the limit they were driving at? :no:
  • Options
    I hate those fucking vans, they're there purely to catch you out. Bastards.

My mum has been done twice for speeding in a 30 limit (doing 32, and 35) and was fined £60 and 3 points on her licence for both instances.
    I think it's absurd that for someone doing 90 on a motorway and gets caught, gets the same treatment. There's no difference between doing 20mph over the limit, or 2mph.

Why isn't it tiered? Why aren't speeders fined certain amounts of money in relation to how many over the limit they were driving at? :no:

To be honest someone exceeding the limit on a motorway is less likely to hit a small child running out into the road than someone who decides that the streets are the place to speed around in.

Your mum could have saved herself 120 quid by not being so stupid and slowing down a bit.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    To be honest someone exceeding the limit on a motorway is less likely to hit a small child running out into the road than someone who decides that the streets are the place to speed around in.

Your mum could have saved herself 120 quid by not being so stupid and slowing down a bit.

a bit harsh to call someone stupid for driving at 32-35mph, lack of concentration perhaps, but its easy enough to do.
  • Options
    Yes, but more dangerous that doing 80 or 90 on the M1, so perhaps not whinging about it would be the better option.

More to the point, if you can't concentrate enough when driving to stick to the speed limit, how are you going to be concentrating enough to react appropriatly when a child steps in your path
  • Options
    a bit harsh to call someone stupid for driving at 32-35mph, lack of concentration perhaps, but its easy enough to do.

I think that getting one fine would be an aid enough to concentration to not do it again.
  • Options
    Fines don't stop people speeding. :rolleyes:
  • Options

Well clearly not, in your mum's case.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

Then tell me what *would* stop someone speeding? How should we combat it instead?
  • Options
    Stinger traps ;)
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Well clearly not, in your mum's case.
    Or in practically anyone's case.

As i said earlier, speed cameras have been proven to increase accidents in many cases. Canada realised this, and removed their cameras. And unless you have speed cameras covering every inch of road in Britain, people aren't going to stop speeding. People quickly learn where the cameras are and avoid them, or speed up after the lines.
  • Options
    Fines and points only make people more wary of getting caught again they don't make poeple stop speeding. Mobile speed traps are purely a money making thing.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    they ought to go out catching the real criminals, to be honest. far too much police time is spent on catching people driving a few miles over the speed limit.
  • Options
    I agree. Fines don't stop people speeding, they just make them more aware. I think that the pilot programs that I heard about where the police show you what happens when you speed are a good idea. Sort of shows you the consequences of your actions. And I don't believe that the drivers on here never speed. I watch people speed all the time, and they are normal people like the people on here. It is so easy to do, even when you are concentrating. Going uphill, down on the accelerator a bit too much, suddenly doing 35mph... Clear road ahead of you, quiet Sunday afternoon, suddenly 35mph. Overtaking on the motorway, suddenly 73mph. Overtaking a bike on a mainroad... I could go on. And anyway, I have seen the police on more than one occasion overtake me in a 30mph zone while I was doing BANG ON 30mph. Practice what you preach and all that? That said, I don't agree with doing 40mph outside a school or a built up area...
  • Options
    And I don't believe that the drivers on here never speed.

Nor do I. But what i wouldn't do is speed and then bitch about it if I had to pay a fine for doing so.
  • Options
    Well yeah, that's fair enough. If you get caught it's a fair cop.
  • Options
    I normally go at a speed I feel is appropriate. Sometimes it's slower than the limit, sometimes it's faster. REALLY fucked me off last week when I was going 25ish down a 30 - busy road in-town road with residential estates / shops on either side, with cars pulling out and people crossing over. AND it was at the end of the school rush (3.45 ish) so there were still kids about - overtook me, at at least 40, and sped off down the road. That's fucking reckless.

Same kind of road, but 10.30, when it's dead quiet, I'll open the throttle till I hit the next speed bump. I think speed limits should really be seen as a guide, but then people think they don't apply to them. I suppose I'm the same, but when I speed it's typically country lanes that are 40s, etc. - and thats not all the time, either, only on occasion when I want to be a bit speedy, so I have extra concentration, rather than habitually going too fast. I've managed to swerve between a car and the curb before when he slammed on the brakes :) certainly teaches you when to be sensible and on alert though...
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Nor do I. But what i wouldn't do is speed and then bitch about it if I had to pay a fine for doing so.
    Yet i'm sure if you accidentally broke something at work, you'd bitch about having to pay excessive amounts which didn't justify the cost of replacement/repair. Bad example, but yeah.
  • Options
    wel i think people who go dangerously above the speed limit should be shown pictues (graphic ones) that show the effects of multilated and dead bleeding bodies with massive injuries etc, resultant from crashes