Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lads mags

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that the likes of FHM and Men Behaving Badly became so successful because they reflected aspects of male culture which hadn't yet been represented in the media, not because they created them. If they didn't present men with things that a sizable proportion of them didn't desire and relate to, then they never would've been successful at all.
  • Options
    I think that the likes of FHM and Men Behaving Badly became so successful because they reflected aspects of male culture which hadn't yet been represented in the media, not because they created them. If they didn't present men with things that a sizable proportion of them didn't desire and relate to, then they never would've been successful at all.

Agree 100%.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Since you seem to be back Kermit, I'd like an answer to my question:
    Kermit wrote:
    It's possible to be liberal about sex and not have the attitude that notches on bedposts equates to masculinity.

Other countries manage it fine.
    Really? :confused: I haven't heard of any, unless I misunderstood what you're talking about.
    I repeat that I'm not asking this as an argument for or against anything, only because I have no idea which countries you're talking about and I'd like to know.
  • Options
    What would you say a lot of self esteem issues stem from if not the media?

If I knew the answer to that it would mean I knew how a women's mind works and if I knew that I'd be richer then Bill Gates :thumb:

I do think however teenage girls seem too easily influenced .. why I have no idea could be biological

Look at any nightclub and you'll probabaly see 3 or 4 times more girls then guys smoking. In my local club you hardly see a guy smoking but the girls are totally different matter they're all at it.

Why would girls smoke more then boys?

The biggest difference between teenage boys and girls is the girls have handbags to carry the ciggies and a lighter .. maybe guys smoke less because they can't be arsed to carry them in the first place.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    Blagy, your such a bizarre and bitter little man aren't you? Awwww bless ya little cottons though, you do try.

:confused::confused:

Are you feeling OK?

*worried*
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

Blagsta - I read a lot about gender issues, feminist and anti-feminist. Your agenda is opposition to notions of pre-set instincts or natural inclinations to certain behaviour in favour of pure cultural determinism. Highly foolish imo.

You assuming you know my agenda is foolish. Please quote me where I have come out in support of "pure cultural determinism" please. You won't be able to cos in fact I have argued against it elsewhere on here. What I am taking issue with is your assumption that what goes on in this culture is "natural". Where fo you get your evidence from?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What I am taking issue with is your assumption that what goes on in this culture is "natural". Where fo you get your evidence from?

What I'm saying is that in a sexually liberal society, men will always be inclined towards what people have been criticising - and as i said, there's plenty of research material available a few clicks away.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    What I'm saying is that in a sexually liberal society, men will always be inclined towards what people have been criticising - and as i said, there's plenty of research material available a few clicks away.

I think that's rather a large assumption your making there.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Sounds like you're trying to blame your own failure with women earlier in life on on the crudeness of commercial lad culture - which, really, is nothing more than a crude parody of the male mindset.

I was waiting for that one to trundle out.

If I'm against this its because I'm a failure with women. Obviously. Why didn't I think of that before?
    Men will always aspire to getting good looking women and men will always regard their partners as a measure of their success in life - with or without FHM.

I'm not sure what your point is.

The fact that you seem to think my argument is that FHM is the root of all evil obviously shows that you haven't actually bothered to read or understand anything of what I said.