Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Online banking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking to start a savings account. Just for money, I don't plan on spending any of it, and I keep noticing from a certian bank around here advertising for their online baking, specifically a savings account, the "e-savings account" it has a nice interest rate comparativly so I was wondering for peoples experiences with online banking. Thanks :)

I've spent the last 20 minutes reading over everything on the site, searching for all the fine print, it seems the only catch is to get the account free is to open or have a checking account, I've read about their basic checking account and it looks good and I've been meaning to get a new checking account as the one I have sucks alot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok. Go for it. Watch out for those emails that try to nick your passwords though, by tricking you into going to a website that looks like your bank.
    Mist wrote:
    Ok. Go for it. Watch out for those emails that try to nick your passwords though, by tricking you into going to a website that looks like your bank.

:yes: I quite like internet banking - easy to transfer money over
    Have used it for years, it's good as i can keep an eye on my accounts.
    I have an e-savings account, as well as being able to access my current account online. Quite good for checking your statement / balance anytime. :)
    internet banking is great.
    Internet banking is really good - all my accounts are online and its easy to transfer money etc. Just delete any emails that you get sent asking you to verify your account details as it will be a hoax.
    Going slightly OT, but if a bank was to tell you something, wouldn't they always send you a letter and not email?
    Sofie wrote:
    Going slightly OT, but if a bank was to tell you something, wouldn't they always send you a letter and not email?

I saw these adds from the newspaper and a billboard I pass on the way home. Though I set it up where I get my statements from my credit card and checking account online, I get an email telling me when the statement is ready to be viewed on the site via email, I get nothing thru the mail anymore, I opted out on that.

Thanks all, since there seems to be no horror stories, I think I'll look more closely into it and stop in the actual bank sometime this week. Thanks :thumb:
    I use internet banking and find it alot easier than going to the bank.. Barclays and their abysmal service..

If you're a retard like me though and keep typing in your passcode wrong and end up getting it disabled.. three times.. it can get frustrating. :p
    Cazzoo wrote:
    I use internet banking and find it alot easier than going to the bank.. Barclays and their abysmal service..

If you're a retard like me though and keep typing in your passcode wrong and end up getting it disabled.. three times.. it can get frustrating. :p

:yes: I am a retard like you. :p The atm/debit card I have with my current account, if you type in the wrong code 3 times, not only does it not let you try again for x amount of hours, but it sucks your card into the machine and you either have to go into the bank and tell them or call the service number and request a new card :mad: I've killed many a card that way.

Though, since I'm asking questions, say I had this online account and I wanted to take money out of it, or even put it in? How does that work? Do you just transfer to/from another account (like say the checking account)?
    If you want to take money out (not transfer) you have to withdraw it from a cash machine. However, if you want to give it to someone else who has a bank account, you can just transfer it over...
    Sofie wrote:

I've got an account with Cahoot, and they do send you emails if they need to talk to you, but they never ask you to enter your details or follow a link, they just tell you either to log into your account in the normal way and read the message posted their, or to ring customer services, so you know straight away if it's a fishy one :)

I've been with them 4 years now, and have no complaints at all about internet banking. I think it's a 5000% improvement on having to haul ass down to the branch all the time.