Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

general mikhail kalashnikov

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
is urging the un to urge governments to stop small arms being so available.
he says he feels ashamed that his invention has come to what it has ...any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I saw an interview with him on this last year. Interesting.

He is probably quite right, but he has no need to be ashamed. He didn't kill all those people. He should be proud... invented one of the best rifles ever.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I saw an interview with him on this last year. Interesting.

He is probably quite right, but he has no need to be ashamed. He didn't kill all those people. He should be proud... invented one of the best rifles ever.
    i agree.
    he is seriously worried about his guilt.
    he comes from a peasant family.
    got educated.
    designed and built the thing in his shed ...so light wieght a child could use it ...drop it in a river ...bury it in mud ...still worked fine.
    easy to mass produce.

he is havving late life blues no doubt.
    he feels guilty.
    one argument goes that if you design and produce a weapon ...what the hell do you expect.
    #but ...it all came from the bazi threat and invasion of his country.
    he is now alarmed that every terrorist and gangster on the planet has acsess.
    i think he should die with dignity.
  • Options
    Out of interest, how much do they cost?
  • Options
    Out of interest, how much do they cost?
    about hundred qud or less if the manchester evening news is anything to go by.
  • Options
    about hundred qud or less if the manchester evening news is anything to go by.

Actually its about £150 basic, up to £1500 fully kitted out mint condition.

Anything less than £150, be wary... probably dodgey condition, poorly maintained.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Actually its about £150 basic, up to £1500 fully kitted out mint condition.

Anything less than £150, be wary... probably dodgey condition, poorly maintained.
    but aren't they very easily piratyed? copied?
  • Options
    but aren't they very easily piratyed? copied?

Aye. But you can esaily tell a genuine one by the stampings.

Your best bet for balancing price agianst quality and knowing its genuine is to go for the Chinese license-built copy... Norinco Type-56. Good rifle, fairly well made. Genuine period AK's are worth a bit... newer ones are still cheap.

Cheap copies suffer from terrible workmanship. And the US made ones are appalingly bad. Don't touch them... ever... they break alot.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Aye. But you can esaily tell a genuine one by the stampings.

Your best bet for balancing price agianst quality and knowing its genuine is to go for the Chinese license-built copy... Norinco Type-56. Good rifle, fairly well made. Genuine period AK's are worth a bit... newer ones are still cheap.

Cheap copies suffer from terrible workmanship. And the US made ones are appalingly bad. Don't touch them... ever... they break alot.
    i aint after buying one ...honest.
  • Options
    Guns dont kill people! People kill people!
  • Options
    i aint after buying one ...honest.
    Alright Guvna.

Try a Norinco Type-81 if any appear though... I want one, they are replacing them now in the Chinese army so I expect plenty on the black market...

Wonder how much they cost?:chin:
  • Options
    They're not that good - terrible accuracy. They sold well because the Soviets didn't even have the limited compunction of the West when it came to arms sales and they're so easy to fire even a child can use them (and frequently do :( )

The trouble is tougher arms sales won't be put in place by the UN - Russia (and to a lesser extent China) need the foreign currency, so any restrictions would be followed by the US, UK and prob France and most of the European states (ie those who already tend not to sell to fifteen year old kids) and ignored by those who do.
  • Options
    Anyone else scared by the enthusiam for the weapons market shown here?

I am and I'm a Monster! :eek2:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    They're not that good - terrible accuracy. They sold well because the Soviets didn't even have the limited compunction of the West when it came to arms sales and they're so easy to fire even a child can use them (and frequently do :( )

Accuracy is an over-hyped flaw of the AK-47 - it was designed with modern inner-city warfare in mind - the thinking of most Soviet Weapon design (See their heavy SMG use in WW2) and is accurate up to 400 yards. It is only devestatingly innacurate in poorly trained hands - people who are not trained in Heavy Weaponary. Many US soldiers in Vietnam took up the AK over the M16, due to its reliability and consistent performance. It was perfect for close quarters fighting.
    NQA wrote:
    The trouble is tougher arms sales won't be put in place by the UN - Russia (and to a lesser extent China) need the foreign currency, so any restrictions would be followed by the US, UK and prob France and most of the European states (ie those who already tend not to sell to fifteen year old kids) and ignored by those who do.

The US relies heavily on Foriegn Arms Sales to. They had to sell the M1A2 Abrams to afford it themselves. The JSF project will fail without foriegn buyers (Wish it would, it is shite). The F-22 is relying on Foriegn buyers (Namley Israel) to support it.

TBH, the arms trade isn't going to go away. If anything, we should regulate it more, but we can't stop it... it'll always be there as long as countries refuse to work together and rival each other, there will be need for militaries to fight each other.

Now if we all got along and worked with each other, this need would disapeer.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Accuracy is an over-hyped flaw of the AK-47 - it was designed with modern inner-city warfare in mind - the thinking of most Soviet Weapon design (See their heavy SMG use in WW2) and is accurate up to 400 yards. It is only devestatingly innacurate in poorly trained hands - people who are not trained in Heavy Weaponary. ..

Its an amateurs weapon. When you've run out of ammo spraying bursts all of the over place, the trained soldier with the decent rifles pops you
    Many US soldiers in Vietnam took up the AK over the M16, due to its reliability and consistent performance. It was perfect for close quarters fighting

I rest my case. Its an amateurs weapon. Its reliability is overstated as well, whilst it got a lower threshold for poor maintenance (ie amateurs not cleaning their weapons) most properly maintained weapons are much more reliable.
    The US relies heavily on Foriegn Arms Sales to. They had to sell the M1A2 Abrams to afford it themselves. The JSF project will fail without foriegn buyers (Wish it would, it is shite). The F-22 is relying on Foriegn buyers (Namley Israel) to support it.

TBH, the arms trade isn't going to go away. If anything, we should regulate it more, but we can't stop it... it'll always be there as long as countries refuse to work together and rival each other, there will be need for militaries to fight each other.

Yes, but its who they sell too. Look at the psychotic murder gangs in Africa - they're not running around with M1A2s and F-22s - they're running around with ex-Soviet kit (and to be fair quite a few Belgium FLNs).
  • Options
    AK47 - if you absolutely, positively wanna kill every mothufucka in the room, accept no substitutes!!

Dunno who's gonna buy the Raptor, it's a bit high maintenance...
    Mig29SMT with stealth plasma is cheaper, although not for sale...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Its an amateurs weapon. When you've run out of ammo spraying bursts all of the over place, the trained soldier with the decent rifles pops you

Most trained soldiers have their AK set to single shot to be quite honest. Last time the anyone went up against people trained well with an AK was... well, the Soviets invading Afghanistan. But the terrorists were US trained and funded at the time... plus the US itself has abbandonned Afghanistan now. Leaving us brits alone there.
    NQA wrote:
    I rest my case. Its an amateurs weapon. Its reliability is overstated as well, whilst it got a lower threshold for poor maintenance (ie amateurs not cleaning their weapons) most properly maintained weapons are much more reliable.

Well, no, a well Maintained AK-47 is the most reliable. The last thing to challenge it wsa actually the SA80 A2 (Shocking, I know) using British made high quality ammunition!
    NQA wrote:
    Yes, but its who they sell too. Look at the psychotic murder gangs in Africa - they're not running around with M1A2s and F-22s - they're running around with ex-Soviet kit (and to be fair quite a few Belgium FLNs).

Didn't they sell the F14's to Iran? M60's? Apaches? And weapons to the Taliban? Mujadeen?

Sigh. Yes, Ex-Soviet kit is widely spread throughout the world - however odly enough, most of it wasn't bought of Russia - but the ex-soviet satelite states who are in a right state now, and have had to sell most things. Or it just gets passed around various mid-east or Afircan countries.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've actually had the pleasure to fire one, my uncles at the age of 12 in the Arizona desert (only on semi mind you). Good fun.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    AK-47 is the tool
    Don't make me act the motherfuckin fool
    Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe
    NWA

so how do you guys know all this, are you ex-Army or just gun nuts.
  • Options
    AK-47 is the tool
    Don't make me act the motherfuckin fool
    Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe
    NWA

so how do you guys know all this, are you ex-Army or just gun nuts.

I am not a gun nut.

I am a general weaponary nut. Planes, Tanks, Guns, Boats, Subs... all the interesting.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I am not a gun nut.

I am a general weaponary nut. Planes, Tanks, Guns, Boats, Subs... all the interesting.
    i'm more a nuckleduster kinda guy.
  • Options
    i'm more a nuckleduster kinda guy.

Ouch.

I won't annoy you then!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I am not a gun nut.

This might interest you. Find out how many aircraft were used during D Day in the 2nd World War....
    I've done this piece on weapons in World War II in High School and I was amazed...
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    This might interest you. Find out how many aircraft were used during D Day in the 2nd World War....
    I've done this piece on weapons in World War II in High School and I was amazed...

I did that too - My coursework was on D-Day for GCSE as well! And the Exams were the American West and Medicine Through Time.

Wish I had done Vietnam though. :o

Also my Mum's Uncle went over in the Para's before the beach landings to capture a bridge. The mission was sucessful. Up until the point the USAF bombed them. :(
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Ouch.

I won't annoy you then!
    if we gave the world leaders brass knuckles and nowt else ...you'd be surprised how quick most of the worlds major problems would go away.
  • Options
    if we gave the world leaders brass knuckles and nowt else ...you'd be surprised how quick most of the worlds major problems would go away.

You reckon Sky could get the rights to televise the fights?
    Whole other level of Saturday Fight Night!!!
    People would gather round and drink beer and watch some top brass knuckle action...

:thumb:
  • Options

Or just give them a bunch of space cakes before they go into the UN.

To be fair, if they all had Brass Knuckles.. chances are... the Chinese president would win. I bet he's some sort of Martial Arts expert!