Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

victims rights - old news bad news

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok. see this article

I am firmly against the proposition that victims' families have a say in court.
I think where a conviction for murder applies (mandatory life sentence) this is a fair input, allbeit only therapeutic and retributionary. Where manslaughter applies, their input would only seek to affect prejudicially the judge's sentence.

Victims have many useful rights detailed in the victims charter.

Comments

• Options
    What article?
  • Options
    Victims already have rights though, as victims provide Victim Impact Statements which illustrate how they have suffered.

It's a key tenet of English law that you take your victim as you find them- if they have a nervous breakdown because you mugged them, its tough shit for you.

I have no problem with victims being given a greater role in the judicial system, but my only worry is that sentencing will be determined by how many tears the victim sheds, not by what the criminal did. A rape victim who copes well should not see her attacker get a shorter sentence.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Victims already have rights though, as victims provide Victim Impact Statements which illustrate how they have suffered.

It's a key tenet of English law that you take your victim as you find them- if they have a nervous breakdown because you mugged them, its tough shit for you.

I have no problem with victims being given a greater role in the judicial system, but my only worry is that sentencing will be determined by how many tears the victim sheds, not by what the criminal did. A rape victim who copes well should not see her attacker get a shorter sentence.

youll see witnesses being trained to answer emotionally

and i feel sorry for the vistims of brutal murders who dont have friends or family