Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you like about the UK?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The weather
    Rugby League
    Manchester
    Countryside
    Music
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What are these foods you speak of, then?
    Why are you all being so dam critical? Jeee... watch the football.

Bangers and mash is one of my favourites. Sunday roast which I have stated!!!
  • Options
    Of course the food is great!!! Yorkshire puds!!! Yummy yummy yummy. :thumb:
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Why are you all being so dam critical? Jeee... watch the football.

Bangers and mash is one of my favourites. Sunday roast which I have stated!!!
    My Sunday broast is equally lovely. How are Ecuador doing? :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    My Sunday broast is equally lovely. How are Ecuador doing? :p
    Loosing! :thumb:
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Our alliance with the USA.

hmmm!
    :no:
  • Options
    hmmm!
    :no:
    The alliance with the USA is important. Trouble is, at the moment, the "special alliance with the USA" translates as "Blair's head being stuck up Bush's arse", which is probably what Luke means. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The alliance with the USA is important. Trouble is, at the moment, the "special alliance with the USA" translates as "Blair's head being stuck up Bush's arse", which is probably what Luke means. :p

like the time when the US should have expressively asked the UK for the use of the H-bomb against japan (a treaty was signed saying that the US had to ask the UK before it was deloyed) when in reality the UK was informed that this was going to happen, "oh and btw can we do it?" so as usual the british dog trotted along behind even at that late hour, we could in theory have stopped it!
  • Options
    the british coastline is truly awsome ...so varied.

as for our alliance with the yanks b...we can never be their equals in any way whatsoever so we'll always be their poodle ...but with europe ...we can be equal.
  • Options
    as for our alliance with the yanks b...we can never be their equals in any way whatsoever so we'll always be their poodle ...but with europe ...we can be equal.
    Equal with a whole continent? Bit tricky. Not sure the French would accept any such premise, for instance, not with the number of EU regulations they break.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Has it really been any different for the last 60 years?

The recurring story since the end of WWII has been the US president shouting 'jump' and the British PM asking 'how high'?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The recurring story since the end of WWII has been the US president shouting 'jump' and the British PM asking 'how high'?
    And sometimes not even bothering to ask that question...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Has it really been any different for the last 60 years?

If you want to say that then go ahead, I don't expect anything else from you.

As long as my country preferences the US before the E.U, I'm happy. Blair is doing just that, even though he's a europhile.
  • Options
    Why do you like being subjugated and treated like a pet dog by other nations? :confused:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why do you like being subjugated and treated like a pet dog by other nations? :confused:
    That is your interpretation of it.

I see my country just helping other nations and being with our allies.
  • Options
    If obeying and doing exactly what another nation dictates even when it goes against our own interests, only to be ignored and be given no rewards whatsoever for such blind and undeserved loyalty is 'helping out other nations' in your view, I guess you're right.

I suspect most other people see it rather differently.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If obeying and doing exactly what another nation dictates even when it goes against our own interests, only to be ignored and be given no rewards whatsoever for such blind and undeserved loyalty is 'helping out other nations' in your view, I guess you're right.

I suspect most other people see it rather differently.
    You must be talking about the E.U... yeah you're quite right.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    You must be talking about the E.U... yeah you're quite right.
    Why? Has the EU dictated Britain's foreign policy for decades? Has it 'asked' it to host some of the monitoring stations for a nuclear missile defence system that will protect only the US? Has it embarked on the defence projects such as the F35 fighter jet or the Trident ballistic missile with Britain as equal partners but then refused to share the technology, so Britain cannot upgrade them and service them without the other party's approval?

When the EU does all that, come back here and tell us again...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why? Has the EU dictated Britain's foreign policy for decades?
    It certainly wants too.

I believe our relaitosnhip with the U.S is more worthy than with the E>U, however I do prefer both.

You've only got to look at the E.U and check how many rules they brake like France... they didn't except our beef for years even though they should of.

But that doesn't matter now... E.U and U.S relations are on the rise. :p Ready for Iran eh!!!!!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

You've only got to look at the E.U and check how many rules they brake like France... they didn't except our beef for years even though they should of.
    !
    Because it was giving people fucking mad cow disease. Even we werent supposed to eat it at one point. Why would they want our infected meat when they had their own which was non-infected.
  • Options
    Because it was giving people fucking mad cow disease. Even we werent supposed to eat it at one point. Why would they want our infected meat when they had their own which was non-infected.
    Obvious doh. I meant afterwards when our meat was clean!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    It certainly wants too.

I believe our relaitosnhip with the U.S is more worthy than with the E>U, however I do prefer both.

But that doesn't matter now... E.U and U.S relations are on the rise. :p Ready for Iran eh!!!!![/QUOTE]

I notice that you have avoided the issue of my last topic. What do you think of our so-called allies using our land for their defence systems and thus making us a target, for no benefit? Or refusing to share the technology behind Trident or the F35 fighter so we can have an independent Armed Forces, not one that depends on another nation?

What benefits, exactly, does this so called special relationship actually bring to the UK? I'm yet to be shown any.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

But that doesn't matter now... E.U and U.S relations are on the rise. :p Ready for Iran eh!!!!!

I notice that you have avoided the issue of my last topic. What do you think of our so-called allies using our land for their defence systems and thus making us a target, for no benefit? Or refusing to share the technology behind Trident or the F35 fighter so we can have an independent Armed Forces, not one that depends on another nation?

What benefits, exactly, does this so called special relationship actually bring to the UK? I'm yet to be shown any.[/QUOTE]We will always have a shoulder to help us when ever we need it, just like we help our allies, especially in times when WE believe it it right such as Iraq.

I do not mind the U.S using our land, they're our friends. :)
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Obvious doh. I meant afterwards when our meat was clean!
    I personally thought they did the right thing, protecting themselves rather than bowing for financial reasons or to appease britain. Our meat was dodgy due to our cheapskate farming practices. The french pride themselves on their good quality food. This wasnt surprising at all.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

I am sorry from the people of my country that we didn't want to eat mad cows and that we rather eat our healthy cows...
  • Options
    With absolutely no apologies to those who listed these things as "hates":

The monarchy.
    British food (roast beef, fish & chips, Stew and dumplings...)
    British beer.
    Trains.
    Castles.
    Our imperial history.
  • Options
    I am sorry from the people of my country that we didn't want to eat mad cows and that we rather eat our healthy cows...
    The French are mad already so I forgive them. :p :yippe:
  • Options
    The British sense of humour - Blackadder, Monty Python...need I say more!

Welsh valleys, highlands, lake district, cornish coast - all very beautiful

The legacy of the Empire

The fact we have the greatest military in the world

Other than Chavs and cold winters, I love this country:yippe:
  • Options
    Why did the negativity have to come up? It would be nice to read a thread that doesn't have arguments in it :yes: Anyway,

The English Language. It's so varied even within such a small land mass.

Scotland.

Countryside.

The food. Best quality of food. Basic things like bread, milk, cheese, bacon etc. If anyone has gone on a self-catering holiday abroad you'll know what I'm talking about.

Health service (most of the time)

Emergency services.

Armed forces.

Driving on the left.

Ability to queue.
  • Options
    A tradition of sympathy for the underdog.
    An acceptance of difference.
    Innovative youth culture/popular culture/music.