Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Lenient" Sentences- rubbish

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kentish wrote:
    Quite. He probably had funny coloured skin and an accent too.
    Did he have a Jaguar at home and was he stealing other peoples jobs?

OH GOOD LORD!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You talk about there being benefits.

So you think its better that there's no incentive to plead guilty, which means every rape victim has to recount what happened to them?
    As for the "10 years must mean 10 years", the reason for this is simple. Judges now have to lie every time they pass sentence.

No they don't. The say you will serve half.

If 10 years means 10 years, you will just get 5 for burglary instead.

As for the other points, if you are on licence and commit any crime- including not obeying the terms of your licence- then you will return straight to prison to serve the rest of your time.

Disillusioned, even if you are "caught red handed", you are still entitled to a trial to ascertain whether the evidence against you is strong or not. If you got no benefit for pleading guilty you would not plead guilty, meaning every case would go to trial, costing a fortune in legal fees and court costs. After all, there would be always a tiny chance a demented jury would find you innocent, and if there's no benefit there's no risk in having a gamble. For this reason nobody ever pleads guilty to murder (the minimum sentence is life), even if 150 independent people saw you stoving the woman's head in with a mallet.

Interestingly enough, its been proven several times that the general public, when given full access to all facts of a case, would give a sentence between 10% and 25% less than what the sentencing judge gave.
  • Options
    Interestingly enough, its been proven several times that the general public, when given full access to all facts of a case, would give a sentence between 10% and 25% less than what the sentencing judge gave.

Thats probably because the public give you an answer of how long they think they should actually spend in jail, the judge gives a sentance with the knowledge that they won't serve the full time in jail thus in reality the public are probably harsher than the judges as most people serve less that 75-80% of their sentance.

Jails that give an easy ride are the Category C prison my mum works in. The inmates there get:
    • free board and lodging
    • free entertainment
    • access to toiletries sold at cost price which is a darn site cheaper than what we pay in superdrug
    • access to dental and medical professionals within 24 hours of wanting it, there's no way most of the innocent public would get that round here if they wanted it unless they went private

There's a bit of a starting point.

When it comes to Community service people don't necessarily use their talents and I don't want to see a humiliating chain gang but something that has more impact on their life than an 3 hours in a charity shop on a Saturday morning which actually counts as 4.5 hours of service because the time they spend travelling to get there counts too.
  • Options
    There are ways to debate issues without looking like bullies - please feel free to read this thread as an example of how not to use these boards. Attacking someone personally just makes you look like a child, and this regular ganging up and bullying won't be accepted here.
  • Options
    I always thought the 50% tariff was for good behaviour, ie if you made an attempt to change your ways, were a model prisoner, attempted to gain skills etc the system would recognise that and cut your time. On the otherhand if you showed no remorse, caused trouble etc you could expect to do your full time.

If its not like that it should be. If a judge jails you for 10 years, you have a chance of getting out in 5, but you also have a chance of doing the full 10.
  • Options
    This is my belief, pretty str5aight and simple.

If you are sentenced to 10 years, then you do 10 years, not 4 years. We need credability in the justice system as I have no faith in it whats so ever!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    This is my belief, pretty str5aight and simple.

If you are sentenced to 10 years, then you do 10 years, not 4 years. We need credability in the justice system as I have no faith in it whats so ever!

I don't know the ins and outs of it but if, as per the points raised above, lack of good behaviour reductions and guilty plea reductions result in witnesses having to face trial and greater expense within the legal system- that would be an injustice for innocent victims and honest tax payers, surely? I would have less faith such a justice system, imagining that it would breed reluctance to report crime, particularly personal violations, resulting in less criminals brought to justice and perhaps a rise in (what's that word where your brother's go beat up the baddies?- mental block grrr)
  • Options
    Thats probably because the public give you an answer of how long they think they should actually spend in jail, the judge gives a sentance with the knowledge that they won't serve the full time in jail thus in reality the public are probably harsher than the judges as most people serve less that 75-80% of their sentance.

Jails that give an easy ride are the Category C prison my mum works in. The inmates there get:
    • free board and lodging
    • free entertainment
    • access to toiletries sold at cost price which is a darn site cheaper than what we pay in superdrug
    • access to dental and medical professionals within 24 hours of wanting it, there's no way most of the innocent public would get that round here if they wanted it unless they went private

There's a bit of a starting point.

When it comes to Community service people don't necessarily use their talents and I don't want to see a humiliating chain gang but something that has more impact on their life than an 3 hours in a charity shop on a Saturday morning which actually counts as 4.5 hours of service because the time they spend travelling to get there counts too.

When you say that prisoners get free board and lodging, free entertainment and teh other 'advantages' you list it is not like people are there by their own free will. You hardly propose that prisoners don't get food, toiletries or medical care. If you were saying there were conjugal visits or something like that taht would be different but what you list are pretty much the things all people should have by right.

I think that there should be a second stage of a sentence where people who are released have a 'community service' type job for 3 months or whatever and are paid a proper wage with accomodation provided. People could move on from that if they found their own job but this way people who wanted to take the opportunity to get their lives back on track would be able to do that.
  • Options
    If prison works then why have we got a higher crime rate than other parts of Europe with less prisoners per head?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    There are ways to debate issues without looking like bullies - please feel free to read this thread as an example of how not to use these boards. Attacking someone personally just makes you look like a child, and this regular ganging up and bullying won't be accepted here.
    According to TheSite.org's About Us pages, they aim "to be the first place all young adults turn to when they need support and guidance through life.". I'm saddened to say this, but increasingly for me, it isn't. And why is that? Because of the constant bullying that goes on. I have as much a right to be here as anyone else, and this ganging up not only affects my trust in the members, it also badly damages my confidence in TheSite.org moderators.

I'm not keeping silent on this subject any longer. Jim V, you tell us it won't be accepted here. Ever since I first came on the boards, people been doing this. I've been the victim of it countless times, and it's always the same people who do this as well. The normal process is either you or Helen come along and tell everyone to play nice. I'm sorry, but that simply isn't good enough anymore. TheSite.org also claims to "be an inclusive social environment enabling all young people to express themselves and address the issues that concern them.". It sure as hell doesn't feel inclusive when this happens.
  • Options
    Well I'm sorry but bullying isn't acceptable, but that in no way means that people have to like each other, or have to accept what people say. People did go too far in this thread, but many people's arguement that your posts are generalisations is a valid thing to question.

Encouraging debate doesn't mean people don't have the right to question what you say - especially when it can seem so far from their own personal experiences.

In addition, seeing a conspiracy of people deliberately attacking you, doesn't mean that this is actually happening, as opposed to a series of individuals who all disagree with you - and given your focus on the idea of everyone being either from a conspiracy of the left or from the right is going to happen.

By the very nature of political debate, if your views are from a perspective that is extreme and continually matches the most right wing viewpoints then many are going to disagree on a youth board - yes people shouldn't personally attack you, but people can challenge you and can disagree with you.

I would say that on the politics board people will feel their views are being attacked, inevitably, but that they shouldn't feel personally attacked. The latter we won't accept, the former shouldn't be hurtful but is a part of this section.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Well I'm sorry but bullying isn't acceptable, but that in no way means that people have to like each other, or have to accept what people say. People did go too far in this thread, but many people's arguement that your posts are generalisations is a valid thing to question. Encouraging debate doesn't mean people don't have the right to question what you say - especially when it can seem so far from their own personal experiences.
    Jim, whatever people think of me as an individual is none of my concern. JsT would admit himself there's no love lost between me and him at the moment. People have every right to question what I say, in the same way I have every right to question what they say. That goes without saying.
    By the very nature of political debate, if your views are from a perspective that is extreme and continually matches the most right wing viewpoints then many are going to disagree on a youth board - yes people shouldn't personally attack you, but people can challenge you and can disagree with you. I would say that on the politics board people will feel their views are being attacked, inevitably, but that they shouldn't feel personally attacked. The latter we won't accept, the former shouldn't be hurtful but is a part of this section.
    My perspectives are hardly extreme at all. Trying to equate the right-wing with some kind of extreme is simply a laughable idea. Lord only knows I've tried to equate being left-wing with being a sandal-wearing communist before, and that just left me with egg on my face. Yes, I'm one of the most right-wing posters on the boards. I make no apologies for adding some diversity to the forums. And yes, I do sometimes take things too far. Remember the debate on drugs where I admitted I hadn't a clue what I was talking about and that I would go away and do some learning on the subject? What other poster has ever done that? I have made mistakes, but I'm hardly the only one.
  • Options
    May I add to this debate....

I understand that I can't really have much input in this since I have previously broken rules and have been banned once. However, this board simply hasn't changed. It is the same old characters and they know who they are, bullying other members on this form that do not share the same political opinions and ideologies as they do. I have also noticed that a lot of the bullying is given from the older members of the forum, it's about time they grow up and given disciplinary action.

Why are members allowed to continue to insult others by swearing and labelling all of the time and nothing is done about it?
  • Options
    diddums :(
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    diddums :(
    my word, that's the most mature post so far, especially following Jim's comments.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    my word, that's the most mature post so far, especially following Jim's comments.

So sue me.
  • Options
    I'd rather ban you but I'm not a moderator.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Thank Christ for small mercies eh?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'll second to that.
  • Options
    shane999 wrote:
    When you say that prisoners get free board and lodging, free entertainment and the other 'advantages' you list it is not like people are there by their own free will. You hardly propose that prisoners don't get food, toiletries or medical care. If you were saying there were conjugal visits or something like that taht would be different but what you list are pretty much the things all people should have by right.

I think that there should be a second stage of a sentence where people who are released have a 'community service' type job for 3 months or whatever and are paid a proper wage with accomodation provided. People could move on from that if they found their own job but this way people who wanted to take the opportunity to get their lives back on track would be able to do that.

I don't for a second propose that prisoners should be starved or denied reasonable access to basic facilities. What I do object to is that despite having done wrong they are getting their board and lodging for free when the innocent have to work to pay for it and that they get better/cheaper access to other provisions than others do.

I also don't see why anyone who is being paid a proper wage should have accomodation provided for them. I can go along with prisoners doing community service in exchange for their board and lodging, or a small wage in addittion to board and lodging, but not both. Maybe thats just me and my humble opionion.
  • Options
    And on the bullying arguement could it be made a little clearer who thinks who is bullying? Maybe a quick PM from the moderators to say tone it down a little so if your doing wrong you know. I like to think I don't attack people (well at least not those who haven't attacked me) but if someone thinks otherwise I'd like to know!
  • Options
    One of the main problems is that our prisons are full of people with literacy problems, mental health problems and drug problems. Maybe if we paid more attention to helping the less fortunate in our society, we wouldn't need to put so many people in prison.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    One of the main problems is that our prisons are full of people with literacy problems, mental health problems and drug problems. Maybe if we paid more attention to helping the less fortunate in our society, we wouldn't need to put so many people in prison.
    In my opinion this is just simply giving criminals an excuse.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Do you reckon education has a role to play here?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    In my opinion this is just simply giving criminals an excuse.

Have you even read what he said? You think crime is just some formality, I'll admit it will always be prevelant but there's a lot we can do make sure people don't become criminals in the first place. This would eliminate the need to waste money building and facilitating them in prisons in the first place.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Yes. Education, mental health provision, drug treatment provision, a reform of the benefits system, proper job opportunities etc etc.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Of course it does you simpleton! :D
  • Options
    pillowfight.gif
  • Options
    its not an excuse, its a reason. people dont just do crimes because theyre nasty bad men. There tend to be reasons why some people end up in that way of life, and sometimes you can nip things in the bud, provide help, services etc, and the disadvantaged people have less reason to turn to a life of crime in the first place.