Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A question about gay sex on aeroplanes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, this is actually a serious question, so please don't make fun. I am not planning on doing this... Anyway.

A gay couple (of either sex) are caught having sex on the aeroplane toilet. Now the plane is on British Airways, left from Heathrow and is going to China. At the time they are caught they are flying over Saudi.

Under which country's law are they charged? They are on British airlines, yet they are over Saudi, but their destination is China.

Move this if it's inappropriate for this forum.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im guessing if the airplane crew wanted something done about it, they would be arrested on chinese soil..so therefore china
    It's not illegal.
    BritJames wrote:
    It's not illegal.

i think technically its having sex in a public place, which is illegal
    Why gay sex on planes, just out of interest? Surely you could ask the same question of any crime committed on a plane?
    Is a locked toilet a public place?

I suspect gay male sex may be illegal in Saudi.
    i never see whats so appealing about having sex in a small, smelly, horrible airplane toilet, maybe im missing out...

there are much nicer risky places to have sex.
    koe_182 wrote:
    It's not illegal if you can reasonably assume that no-one will see you. Since there's a lock on the door......:naughty: I think it's more that they don't want to encourage that type of behaviour because people need to use the toilet.
    koe_182 wrote:
    i never see whats so appealing about having sex in a small, smelly, horrible airplane toilet, maybe im missing out...

there are much nicer risky places to have sex.
    I think it's more to do with having to have sex with someone during a 3 hour flight. Where else can you go? I'm sure if they put a bed at the back of the plane, most people would prefer that, but it's the only option.
    Why gay sex on planes, just out of interest? Surely you could ask the same question of any crime committed on a plane?
    Because homosexuality is punishable by death in saudi
    I think it's more to do with having to have sex with someone during a 3 hour flight. Where else can you go? I'm sure if they put a bed at the back of the plane, most people would prefer that, but it's the only option.

hmmm i really really doubt it is, i love sex as much as anyone and im pretty sure i can wait 3 hours for it. thats no excuse.

people love the danger of it, thats why its so popular.

back on topic tho, i really dont know how the saudi's would ever find out anyway....as the crew would alert the airport they were arriving too, also i think you would probably get away with a warning anyway, unless someone happened to be in a terribly bad mood.
    Okay. I would reckon you'd be arrested for any crime in China, but then sent back to your home country. I think most planes have the laws of the country they're from, hence if you're flying to America and you're 18-21, make sure you get a British plane so you can drink.:p
    I think the laws of the country where the aeroplane is registered would apply onboard. So on a BA flight, English law applies.
    I remember hearing something that it all depends on the airline. as some will get the police at the destination to arrest you, some will fly you back, others like Virgin airways have a policy that says if your having sex the staff wont bother you.
    If i remember with BA its the british law that applies.
    Can just imagine it, "Hurry up and finish. We're nearly over Saudi Arabia"
    There's no such thing as 'British law' though. :p
    lol ok mr picky, uk then. but you know what i meant.
    having seen how tiny plane toilets are...i don't think it would be possible anyway :p
    i would have thought with it being british airways, then it would be dealt with by the companies country?
    they're not actually on saudi arabian soil
    I thought when up there, the one that was more or less making the law inside the airplane was the pilot no?
    Youngbull wrote:
    lol ok mr picky, uk then. but you know what i meant.
    No such thing as 'UK law' either.
    In my niave guess, I'd think it would be the laws of the country plane is owned by, or the country it if flying out of. I just think, on a flight out of America, you cannot drink on the flight under 21, no matter where your flying to or where your from, however, on a flight from, say, the UK to America, even when your over the country, you can have that drink, under 21. So I'd just guess it to be similar.
    my_name wrote:
    In my niave guess, I'd think it would be the laws of the country plane is owned by, or the country it if flying out of. I just think, on a flight out of America, you cannot drink on the flight under 21, no matter where your flying to or where your from, however, on a flight from, say, the UK to America, even when your over the country, you can have that drink, under 21. So I'd just guess it to be similar.
    And does it depend on the State from which you fly? I think some of your states allow drinking at a reasonable age...?
    koe_182 wrote:

and probably in places like saudi its illegal

sorry being abit disrciminative there!
    rachie004 wrote:
    is so severe that the flight has to divert,

That is some serious humping to be able to knock a plane off course and divert :p;)
    am i the only one that thinks a UK - China flight would never head over Saudi Arabia, its much further south
    It's usually governed by international law, with the destination having arresting authority over the plane.

It really would depend on what you were doing though- drugs or violence and its tough luck, but you wouldn't be arrested and beheaded for a bit of gay sex.