Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

omfg nepal - advice for first experience travelling?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Just been informed that I'm going to Nepal with some guys from college to work with children.

WTF???

Basically it's with the Esther Benjamins Trust and we will be doing drama work shops with refugee children, or those rescued from circuses, or those with disabilities or outcasted children (no idea which group)...

Anyway, apart from a shitload of injections, what do I need for Nepal?

I've never really travelled before either (unless you count a school choir & orchestra trip to Holland), neen on a plane once when I was about ten years old... No fricken idea how that'll be.

So any advice for somebody who's never travelled before?

Anybody been to Nepal, or somewhere close?

Anything I gotta watch out for?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yetis
  • Options
    sherpas
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I used to want to visit Katmandu... Sorry that's not helping, but neither are the two above.
  • Options
    Wow, I don't have anything useful to contribute but that sounds like a fantastic opportunity for you. Lucky :D

When are you going? How long for etc?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Wow - that sounds excellent. My Mum has been to Nepal twice and it's her favourite place.

Alongside injections I think malaria tablets might be something to consider.

The other major thing is food - my Mum got really sick the first time she went and ended up losing about 4 stone! So avoid things like ice-cream and salads - make sure you sterilise water etc.

The Buddhist Temples look amazing, as does the general scenery and the people are really lovely. I wrote an article about my Mum's first trip which I'll try and dig out for you.
  • Options
    wow, that sounds amazing and right up your street!
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Wow - that sounds excellent. My Mum has been to Nepal twice and it's her favourite place.

Alongside injections I think malaria tablets might be something to consider.

The other major thing is food - my Mum got really sick the first time she went and ended up losing about 4 stone! So avoid things like ice-cream and salads - make sure you sterilise water etc.

The Buddhist Temples look amazing, as does the general scenery and the people are really lovely. I wrote an article about my Mum's first trip which I'll try and dig out for you.
    Maybe I shall write an article. :)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Wow, I don't have anything useful to contribute but that sounds like a fantastic opportunity for you. Lucky :D

When are you going? How long for etc?
    July 4th - August 8th