Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Just a couple of tiny things...

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
I'm not complaining, nor is it a problem for me in any way, I just noticed a small imperfections with the boards. Perhaps it's intentional or unfixable.

Suppose that all threads in a forum are marked as "read" except one. You read that thread, and it's marked as read as well. If after it you go straight to the main page of the boards, the forum will still have the "unread" icon. You have to have been in the forum itself with everything read, before the icon in the main page turns to "read".

EDIT: I had two here, but I saw I was wrong about one.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its due to page caching on your machine, hence the site cant do anything to fix it
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    MrG wrote:
    its due to page caching on your machine, hence the site cant do anything to fix it
    Is that so? Ok then. But I've seen fora with older versions of vbulletin where it works, I guess it's about how they set it up.
    i noticed it only after they revamped the site
    Nah, it was like this as long as I can remember.
  • Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Not meaning to bring up an old[ish] thread, but the reasoning is because the post expiration and read notifications are via the use of cookies on a local machine as MrG has mentioned. Within the settings of Vbulletin, we have stipulated this action as opposed to a database level score keeping, purely because of the amount of posts and threads contained within the database. Over a million (for those that can't read textual accounts of numerical figures 1,000,000) posts tends to weigh heavily on the back end database processes.

If anyone has questions about it... let me know and I will do my best to elaborate (perhaps not as technically as I can manage) as to why things are occurring.

Jamie
  • Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    And to quantify this response, Indrid_Cold it is an intentional action on our behalf.

Jamie
    Ok :D Thanks for the reply, heh
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ooh i got something right for once :D