Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Visiting the doctors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Long story short, I want to switch a couple of my medicine to generics. The ones I'm on don't come in generic form. They work perfectly fine and I have no complaints with the meds I'm on. I'm afraid of going to the doctor for stupid reasons and wasting their time. In your opinion, to anybody who wants to answer, would this be a stupid reason to go? Would I be wasting their time and then they would hate me.

Comments

• Options
    I don't understand what you mean by generics, if everyone else does and its just me then don't worry.

Little bit more explanation why may help.
  • Options
    Its hard to explain without going into a long story, I was trying to spare you the nap ;)

But pretty much... 2 medicines I'm on I want to change, one for asthma and one for allergies. I want to change them because I'll be on my own health insurance starting July 1. Before, under my parents, I paid nothing, now since they are brand name medicine I am on, I'll pay $30 for a month supply of the asthma one and $50 for a month supply of the allergy one. Neither of the two currently have a generic form available. (ex. paxil vs paroxatine, vicodin vs hydrocodone...) A generic form of medicine will cost me only $15 for a month supply. So I wanted to switch the medicine I am on to something that is available in a generic form. As I said though, I have no problems with my medicine, they work perfectly for me, I just want to change to something different to save myself alot of money. But I'm afraid I'll just be wasting the doctors time and its a stupid pointless selfish visit.

I'm horrible at explaining, that probably made no more sense :p
  • Options
    No that makes complete sense.

Not sure how mcuh help you'll get here as almost everyone lives in UK where the system is very different. I guess your doctors are used to insurance companies and will be happy to help you sort something that works better for you overall, eg same benefits for less.
  • Options
    I know the systems are different, I was just hoping for opinions on if its a dumb trip... but I guess how good of an opinion can you give with no experience :p
    I guess your doctors are used to insurance companies and will be happy to help you sort something that works better for you overall, eg same benefits for less.
    Your right though, they probably get it alot, huh. I'm just overly paranoid, I hate wasting peoples time.

• Options
    Sorry meant to express it wouldn't be a dumb trip at all.
  • Options
    Sorry meant to express it wouldn't be a dumb trip at all.

Thats what I got from it, no worries :) :thumb:
  • Options
    Doctors in the UK get told off for prescribing a branded drug.

You're taking Vicodin for allergies? :confused:

I doubt your doc will mind, and probably gets the same request hundreds of times a week.

ps If no generic is available then you won't have a choice, of course.
  • Options
    Yeah, vicodin for allergies and paxil for asthma, my doctor sucks. :rolleyes: [edit]thats not supposed to be a mean face, it looks so mean, cant there be a happy smirking like face]
    Vicodin was the quickest example I could come up that I knew both the brand and generic and that would be a recogonized drug name to me and to you, overseas, hence the (ex...) and obviously, since theres no generic availible I'd be going to switch the medicine to something different alltogether. Like I already said. If there was a generic I could just call them and tell them to call the pharmacy and have it changed.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Yeah, vicodin for allergies and paxil for asthma, my doctor sucks. :rolleyes: Vicodin was the quickest example I could come up that I knew both the brand and generic and that would be a recogonized drug name to me and to you, overseas, hence the (ex...) and obviously, since theres no generic availible I'd be going to switch the medicine to something different alltogether. Like I already said. If there was a generic I could just call them and tell them to call the pharmacy and have it changed.
    Well actually we don't have Vicodin in the UK, but I know of it from House. :p
  • Options
    I suck, I hate how things have different names :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Yeah, vicodin for allergies and paxil for asthma...

So you take a very strong painkiller for allergies and an anti-depressant for asthma? ehhhh????!!!

What is our equivalent to Vicodin? Oxycontin(Oxycodone??)???
  • Options
    Yeah, I still can't breathe but I'm not sad about it anymore.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Yeah, I still can't breathe but I'm not sad about it anymore.
    :lol:
  • Options
    You should go and see your Doc, everyone has a right to express concerns/wishes about their healthcare. As you're paying for a service, you should use it the way you want. I'm not suggesting everyone visits a healthcare provider for any reason, but in this instance i'd advise you visit yor doc and express your wishes. Good luck